FA & Trade Whispers

Dee-licious

1 hour ago, Abe said:

i've also heard the Dogs want an experienced key defender for next season and Dunn is on the list, while he isn't their first preference i wonder if there is any chance of swapping them over.

Yes Please.  He's getting limited opportunities at the Dogs and I haven't seen much of him this year.  I think his price 12 months ago would have been higher when he was getting more game time, liked what I saw of him though.

1 hour ago, Abe said:

Nathan Hrovat is rumoured to be looking for a new club, he's highly rated by Macca who drafted him and would come very much on the cheap, and while he's probably not best 22 he's won a rising star nomination and has some ability, i personally think he'd be as good an investment as most 3rd-4th round picks and would be well worth considering, 

i've also heard the Dogs want an experienced key defender for next season and Dunn is on the list, while he isn't their first preference i wonder if there is any chance of swapping them over.

I rate Hrovat as a player, but again he's more of an inside mid where we'll already have the likes of Trengove, Kennedy, Vandenberg  & Neal-Bullen as depth.  I suspect any players we bring in may be more outside types or key position.

• Like 2

Hate to rain on anyone's parade, but if Goodwin is true to his word we aren't after anyone.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/melbourne-demons-chasing-young-talent-in-draft-again-this-year-says-new-coach-simon-goodwin-20160914-grg0aj.html

Looks like we are pursuing the youth policy, which isn't a bad thing, leadership and experience will evolve.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dante said:

Hate to rain on anyone's parade, but if Goodwin is true to his word we aren't after anyone.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/melbourne-demons-chasing-young-talent-in-draft-again-this-year-says-new-coach-simon-goodwin-20160914-grg0aj.html

Looks like we are pursuing the youth policy, which isn't a bad thing, leadership and experience will evolve.

I never thought we would be major players, but plenty can happen from here. I'm still not ruling out seeing us get a DFA as well as Hibberd and the return of Melksham, but outside of that I'd expect us to do very little else. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Dante said:

Just now, Wiseblood said:

I never thought we would be major players, but plenty can happen from here. I'm still not ruling out seeing us get a DFA as well as Hibberd and the return of Melksham, but outside of that I'd expect us to do very little else. 

To be fair, there's only one line in that whole article referencing the headline, and it's not exactly saying much:

"There's no doubt we won't go too far away from the draft," Goodwin said. "It's been really strong for us over a period of time, but we'll find as many ways as possible to improve our list."

• Like 3

Notwithstanding Hibbo, Milkshake, Thommo (and possibly Vardy) I suspect Goody will trade out a few D'land whipping boys in favour of this 'youth policy'.  Hopefully JTay has a long list of worthy potentials....

I think after listening to Goody , we will probably end up with Hibberd and the rest will be trading for picks.

We may have our eye on some new talent in the hope of picking up a few smokies.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Dante said:

I like the way Goody is going with this. Adding Hibberd, Melksham and Thompson as experience to the list and then topping up with more young talent.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, stuie said:

To be fair, there's only one line in that whole article referencing the headline, and it's not exactly saying much:

"There's no doubt we won't go too far away from the draft," Goodwin said. "It's been really strong for us over a period of time, but we'll find as many ways as possible to improve our list."

No doubt mate, I was more just putting an opinion forward on what our trade period may be like.  The heading was just a good segue to that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

No doubt mate, I was more just putting an opinion forward on what our trade period may be like.  The heading was just a good segue to that.

It makes sense, we don't have a lot of currency this year. Will be more interesting than exciting this year I think.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Abe said:

Nathan Hrovat is rumoured to be looking for a new club, he's highly rated by Macca who drafted him and would come very much on the cheap, and while he's probably not best 22 he's won a rising star nomination and has some ability, i personally think he'd be as good an investment as most 3rd-4th round picks and would be well worth considering, 

Dogs have hit top up mode. Pity they are one of the unloved pauper clubs, along with us. They could clean up if they could attract the same free agent/club hoppers like Horforn can.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Red and Blue Flame said:

Well...i have nothing against going to the draft, but trading pick 26 for Hibberd would see us with no 1st or 2nd round picks.....!!!

Our form in the later part of the draft is pretty good in recent years, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Plus Weideman is, technically, our first round pick from this year just picked a year sooner. 

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Plus Weideman is, technically, our first round pick from this year just picked a year sooner. 

Yep, we'll need to look at Weideman as our first round pick from this year (just with an extra season under his belt, so better for us development-wise).

Currently our first pick would've been at pick 8. I'm more than happy that we have Weideman on our list, because this year's draft is not meant to be anything too special.

Just now, Demon Disciple said:

Yep, we'll need to look at Weideman as our first round pick from this year (just with an extra season under his belt, so better for us development-wise).

Currently our first pick would've been at pick 8. I'm more than happy that we have Weideman on our list, because this year's draft is not meant to be anything too special.

Exactly.  Next year is, supposedly, a strong draft, so unless we get a bloody good deal offered to us, I'd like to see us take the one into next year's trade period.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, buck_nekkid said:

The article mentions the potential return of Scott Thompson.  Whether it is in play or not is a different question!

The article may have but it looks like Goodwin hasn't...

He reiterated the club's interest in Essendon defender Michael Hibberd, but said staff had not spoken about the possibility of Adelaide on-baller, and former Demon, Scott Thompson returning to the fold.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, faultydet said:

Dogs have hit top up mode. Pity they are one of the unloved pauper clubs, along with us. They could clean up if they could attract the same free agent/club hoppers like Horforn can.

Absolutely right....but their major problem is that because Tom Boyd has eaten up a huge amount of their salary cap, that they have to look for cheap replacements.  That means either swapping players out or giving away picks. 

It's probably the major reason their name isn't mentioned when the more talented players are rumoured to be seeking a new home. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, george_on_the_outer said:

Absolutely right....but their major problem is that because Tom Boyd has eaten up a huge amount of their salary cap, that they have to look for cheap replacements.  That means either swapping players out or giving away picks. 

It's probably the major reason their name isn't mentioned when the more talented players are rumoured to be seeking a new home. 

If they had nailed the Boyd trade, they would be premiership favourites now.

Huge coin, huge expectations.

Edit for kudos to the Dogs. They have done a magnificent job of rebuilding from a tiny period at the bottom. They wrote the playbook as far as I am concerned. Hope they annihilate the horks this weekend.

Edited by faultydet
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, george_on_the_outer said:

I agree the Boyd deal has hurt them. I think they also overpaid for Suckling when he hit the market. Shame for them given how well they have drafted in recent years.

Gotta wonder if Goodwin's reiteration about staying focused on the draft is a reflection on other club's mistakes after drafting well. As pointed out, the deal with Boyd and picking up Suckling could really hurt the Dogs in years to come.

We've smartly avoided any ludicrous Prestia/Richmond-esque deals so far, perhaps except the $500k for Lumumba.

Edited by SaberFang

I see Hibberd, Melksham, Salem and Weideman, as four new recruits/regulars in the 22. That is 20% of the side different to this year.

Clearly Weed only played a couple of games and Salem not much more.

When you add Oliver as a regular that is 25% of the side.

On that basis, you can't really add many more.

Development will be a key to our future, with the odd trade and continual good drafting, keeping up a good list.

We are now in a good position to launch our assault.

What we need most, is to find a consistency of good performance.

• Like 10