FA & Trade Whispers

Dee-licious

29 minutes ago, olisik said:

Credit to Hawks if true. They know how to get deals done. 

Meanwhile Mahoney losing sleep over 2016 or 2017 for Hibbered

12 months to prepare for this decision. 

He's too busy fretting over your opinion of him to focus on trading anything. You're a Henny Penny.

• Like 1

ONE OUT OF LEFT FIELD

This one started with a mention on the 3AW Rumour File on Monday morning, and it won't go away.

It involves another veteran Hawthorn midfielder, Jordan Lewis, heading to Melbourne.

There is a growing belief that the Hawks aren't finished with what is shaping as a major off-season makeover. Sam Mitchell is likely on his way out and if Lewis was to go as well, the Hawks would have a plenty of salary cap room to move because Lewis is entering the final season of his contract.

Lewis would add some grunt and real leadership to Melbourne, which is on the cusp of making the finals. They're not too dissimilar to the Western Bulldogs of two years ago.

One key reason why it probably won't happen is that Lewis shapes as the next captain of Hawthorn, perhaps as soon as next year. And he finished second in Hawthorn's best and fairest this year. Mitchell, by the way, finished first.

It is probably a bridge too far to suggest the Hawks would trade their two best players of 2016, but this is a club that leaves no stone unturned in its quest to get better. And if the Hawks are to contend next year, they'll need to be younger and quicker, just like the Bulldogs and GWS.

An interesting six days await. 

(AFL Trade Update Page)
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Is Dom Is Good said:

How's Brad Hill.

5 seasons played. 3 premierships hahaha

That's Brad Hill's record and no one can take all that away from him. If you look closely at how he performs under a bit of one on one pressure or he doesn't get separation from an opponent, he is a liability. If he gets the ball and a metre or a metre and a half on an opponent, he's off and gone and he's a fairly reliable kick.

Let's not overestimate Hill's value to Hawthorn, or any other team he ends up at. ( sorry to end that sentence with a preposition !! )

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pineapple dee said:

That's Brad Hill's record and no one can take all that away from him. If you look closely at how he performs under a bit of one on one pressure or he doesn't get separation from an opponent, he is a liability. If he gets the ball and a metre or a metre and a half on an opponent, he's off and gone and he's a fairly reliable kick.

Let's not overestimate Hill's value to Hawthorn, or any other team he ends up at. ( sorry to end that sentence with a preposition !! )

Totally agree with you.

Just think it's an incredible start to a career. Wonder what the best is, probably a young guy who joined Melbourne in the 50's & 60's

Hopefully the delay in the Hibberd deal being done is that we have decided we can do much better for a second round pick, therefore Essendon can accept a third round pick for Hibberd if they are desperate to get his salary off the books, or we can find a better deal for our second round pick.

As an aside, I spoke to a Hawthorn supporter today who told me:

a) O'Meara signed 12 months ago, and Hawthorn suggested that he stopped playing after a couple of NEAFL games this season.

b) The Vickery deal is heavily performance based, and the base component wouldn't have been enough to have triggered a second round compo pick for Richmond. (And I see separately that there are issues surrounding the length of that deal).

c) We are interested in Grant Birchall.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, poita said:

Hopefully the delay in the Hibberd deal being done is that we have decided we can do much better for a second round pick, therefore Essendon can accept a third round pick for Hibberd if they are desperate to get his salary off the books, or we can find a better deal for our second round pick.

a) O'Meara signed 12 months ago, and Hawthorn suggested that he stopped playing after a couple of NEAFL games this season.

b) The Vickery deal is heavily performance based, and the base component wouldn't have been enough to have triggered a second round compo pick for Richmond. (And I see separately that there are issues surrounding the length of that deal).

Thanks for passing it on - like others have said, I love a good rumour.

"A Hawthorn supporter", though.  It'd be a bit like me opening a post with "A Melbourne supporter told me...", when we all know that most of us know SFA.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DominatrixTyson said:

It might be that Dom Tyson is surplus to our needs in a year while others go past him, while still playing very consistent b+ footy. He will have worth with a pick to trade for an elite player.

Let's not suggest getting rid of Tyson. He is every bit as important to our structure and our future as is Brayshaw or Petracca. I also think he's a bit better than B+

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, stuie said:
ONE OUT OF LEFT FIELD

This one started with a mention on the 3AW Rumour File on Monday morning, and it won't go away.

It involves another veteran Hawthorn midfielder, Jordan Lewis, heading to Melbourne.

There is a growing belief that the Hawks aren't finished with what is shaping as a major off-season makeover. Sam Mitchell is likely on his way out and if Lewis was to go as well, the Hawks would have a plenty of salary cap room to move because Lewis is entering the final season of his contract.

Lewis would add some grunt and real leadership to Melbourne, which is on the cusp of making the finals. They're not too dissimilar to the Western Bulldogs of two years ago.

One key reason why it probably won't happen is that Lewis shapes as the next captain of Hawthorn, perhaps as soon as next year. And he finished second in Hawthorn's best and fairest this year. Mitchell, by the way, finished first.

It is probably a bridge too far to suggest the Hawks would trade their two best players of 2016, but this is a club that leaves no stone unturned in its quest to get better. And if the Hawks are to contend next year, they'll need to be younger and quicker, just like the Bulldogs and GWS.

An interesting six days await. 

(AFL Trade Update Page)

This could sound silly, but even though he is a 4 x premiership player, he will be 31 at start of season and is obviously slowing down. Saw players running away from him with the ball and he could only jog after them.

I am not a fan of recruiting 31 year old players who are slowing down and are no chance of being there for our tilt at a flag. He has 1 maybe 2 years left.

Lewis a big no for me.

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

We also have a super young list and need to bolster it with some experience. I think Lewis pretty comfortably ticks that box.

At what cost? Where does he play? Whose spot does he take?

Are Hawthorn keeping a straight with this? Re engineering their list with sweeping changes of old legs, with A grade youngsters , freed up cap space and other clubs falling for it.

As for potentially wasting a second rounder for a year to year proposition, just don't think it will happen.

Hope not anyhow. 

1 minute ago, Redleg said:

This could sound silly, but even though he is a 4 x premiership player, he will be 31 at start of season and is obviously slowing down. Saw players running away from him with the ball and he could only jog after them.

I am not a fan of recruiting 31 year old players who are slowing down and are no chance of being there for our tilt at a flag. He has 1 maybe 2 years left.

Lewis a big no for me.

It's a tricky one. He clearly only has maybe 2 years left and isn't quick, but, he did finish second in the Hawks BnF and there was a lot of talk about us chasing leaders this trade period. I'm on the fence about it.

6 minutes ago, poita said:

interesting, but with a grain of salt. birchall would be good. he'd provide deadly delivery to hoges. out of all today's rumours: jordan lewis, ollie wines and grant birchall, i wonder who it is the dees are actually into? all at different stages of their careers. something is on the cards with the delay on the hibberd deal and it could be either of these 3, or none at all that are in contention. lol. at least we're not penning all of our hopes on some poor 18 yr old kid anymore! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, A F said:

Jeffy will be 27 next year and showed this year that he's pretty inconsistent and as a result, we need back up. Matera is younger, but just as inconsistent. I rate Jeffy, but we need more options as well.

Bingo to both and I completely agree....but, still not sure - like to try JKH in there....one more time?

5 hours ago, Red and Blue Flame said:

Not to say your source is incorrect BBB, but I just cannot see how Rockliff would happen.

A bit like what i'm about to share: a usually reliable source (informed me of Goodwin before we got him) has told me that we are making a massive play for Tippett. He is exactly the player we need, but again i'm not sure how it would get done given few picks/valuable players to trade that aren't in best 22...not to mention having to take over his contract $$$.

Just thought i'd pass that on. 

From today's Real Footy.......Tom Harley says Swans are after draft picks not players and "....Tippett is not on the trade table."  This isn't to say that your source might not be correct and we may be having a go but sounds like they wouldn't be interested.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/sydney-want-afl-draftees-not-trades-20161013-gs1ekf.html

Edited by It's Time

1 hour ago, Wiseblood said:

Are you suggesting Jeffy hasn't full bought in to the MFC?

He's never fully committed imv.  Watts was the same, but has changed this season.

i don't think Jeffy has ever given his footy 100%, he shy's off, & that is a sign that the person has bigger commitments, than the game. self.

Self sacrifice is 100% commitment. to the effort. take the hit for the team.

17 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Not overly excited by Jordan Lewis.

Unless we get him for pick 76, I feel the same way. And unless we've gone down the same path as WCE with Mitchell, and put the plans on the table well in advance, I can't see what Lewis' motivation would be to play for us, other than a pension.

And whereas Mitchell still  makes players around him better, I'm not sure that Lewis can do that now.

Edited by mo64
  • Like 1

On 04/10/2016 at 0:50 AM, bandicoot said:

The game requires big men to have agiiity and pace. Dawes ubfortubalty has neither. The big forward that doesn't have these attributes won't last in the modern game 

We desperately lack speed and spread. We have too many mids that are similar in and under players. Viney, Tyson, jones, Brayshaw, Oliver etc. 

we were heavily exposed against the dogs and saints because they we just too quick. 

Lewis won't do anything to help this. At best he will take a half back flank role and provide some prescision off the back line (something that we also lack). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

I'm not terribly excited by Lewis either, but I think the rumour is rubbish.  It's not being reported anywhere else online and I doubt the Hawks will give away another experienced player to go along with Sam Mitchell.  

Been reported (as rumour) on the AFL website trades page and now by Huddo on SEN.

It is a hard one to believe, but does seemingly have some legs.