The Most Un-Awesome Post Match Thread Ever

Chook

Not that surprising really when Gibbs and Cripps dominate. Hate to say it, but I'd choose those two above any Melbourne midfielder. Cripps is a clearance machine and  is built like Nat Fyfe/Bontompelli, while Gibbs (when he is on) has more class than any Melbourne midfielder. Probably would have lost by 40pts if Murphy had played. The fact that we didn't try and nullify Gibbs until after half-time is beyond me.

• Like 2

If this game had been played in 2009 it would be part of the tanking investigation. Inexplicable player selections, dropping experienced role players for inexperienced kids to come into an already inexperienced team, then failing to tag two rampant midfielders in Grigg and Cripps all day and the coaching staff not getting the players minds ready for the task at hand. In 2009 Bailey was accused of playing people out of position and not selecting the odd player but you could make a similar argument for Roos just watching the whole train wreck unfold without making a move.

Maybe they know that the new AFL priority pick system is coming in this year, where teams who haven't played finals in the last 3 years get a shot at a priority 2nd round pick; this was talked about last week by AFL journeymen. 

5 hours ago, stuie said:

He's gone I think. Mentally already checked out. Wasn't even raising his arms when standing the mark today, let alone chasing, tackling or shepherding.

I agree, he certainly isn't "bleeding red and blue" as the old saying goes

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

We lost it with our poor delivery/decision making going forward - Pedersen definitely would've helped by contesting the balls that did come in and offering a chop out kick for those that didn't.

Carlton scored 40 more points than us from clearances. Pedersen would have made 0 difference.

Is there a record for the lowest number of free kicks awarded to a whole side in a game?

Or the largest free kick differential between the two sides? I know we had something like 20-2 at half time against WCE in Perth a few years back, but IIRC the maggots gave us the last 6 frees of the game to even it up a little.

4 minutes ago, stuie said:

Carlton scored 40 more points than us from clearances. Pedersen would have made 0 difference.

Someone on the radio said that Carlton were one of the worst clearance sides in the comp this season.

Just now, Akum said:

Someone on the radio said that Carlton were one of the worst clearance sides in the comp this season.

Teams can plan against us and know that if they exploit our weaknesses we have no plan B.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Akum said:

Except Cripps, who has lead the clearances all year. For the competition.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

Big night for you I'm guessing Ethan. If you're heading towards Lygon St crack a few heads for the rest of us please.

It really is tempting Moon but I will be the bigger man and let the Carlton followers enjoy their victory. I will however find a fresh dog turd and smear a little under the door handles of their cars. 

[censored] you Carlton and your stupid man buns.

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Chook said:

That's amazing if true and makes me understand why he's so good at such a young age.

True, Chook.  I was at Gosch's on Friday and that's what he does.  Of course, all the players run & bounce during the simulations but I haven't seen anyone else do it while doing the multiple 50m sprint practice.  Nor do I see any of them consistently trying to develop the 'other' foot.  No wonder the opposition can work out what side of our player they need to stand on to limit their effectiveness.  As they say in the classics, 'it's not rocket surgery'.

• Like 1

Team selection had nothing to do with losing this game. When you get to half way through the first quarter and the whole team have only had a handful of kicks and laid 2 tackles, it's pretty well game over. The game was lost in the middle and around the stoppages, but both ANB and Weideman played forward, while Mitchie did as well (I'd actually say better) than what Harmes has of late.

We didn't turn up to play, had difficulty putting it together when we tried to, and then blew chances up forward to score and get a bit of momentum going when they came along. 7 goals 16 isn't just terrible kicking on goal, it's team-killing kicking on goal, especially when for the most of the game, a goal would have put us right back into it.

Finally, if you think Carlton should have been walk-overs, think again. They won 6 on the trot early in the season, (something we haven't even come close to), have taken it right up to many of the top sides, and in Cripps and Gibbs have two mids that are a class above anyone we're putting on the park (for the moment).

Watch Jayden Hunt's interview on the MFC site. Smart lad.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bing181 said:

Team selection had nothing to do with losing this game. When you get to half way through the first quarter and the whole team have only had a handful of kicks and laid 2 tackles, it's pretty well game over. The game was lost in the middle and around the stoppages, but both ANB and Weideman played forward, while Mitchie did as well (I'd actually say better) than what Harmes has of late.

We didn't turn up to play, had difficulty putting it together when we tried to, and then blew chances up forward to score and get a bit of momentum going when they came along. 7 goals 16 isn't just terrible kicking on goal, it's team-killing kicking on goal, especially when for the most of the game, a goal would have put us right back into it.

Finally, if you think Carlton should have been walk-overs, think again. They won 6 on the trot early in the season, (something we haven't even come close to), have taken it right up to many of the top sides, and in Cripps and Gibbs have two mids that are a class above anyone we're putting on the park (for the moment).

Watch Jayden Hunt's interview on the MFC site. Smart lad.

Love him to bits. Still can't believe how much footy he's been able to play this year. What's even more impressive is that unlike most of his younger teammates, he seems to be improving as the season has progressed as opposed to tiring. I reckon he'll finish top ten in the B&F this season.

Certainly one of only 4-5 players who can hold their head high after today's effort as well.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, P-man said:

It wouldn't have been a deserved win but 2.9 from set shots really hurts. Very few of them were difficult.

12 hours ago, bing181 said:

Symptomatic of what was going on further up the ground.

How is 2.9 from set shots symptomatic of what goes on up the ground?  Sure one can account, a bit, for missed on the run shots by upfield poor delivery, but set shots are what forwards are, or should be, paid to do.

11 hours ago, Deevout said:

Stop playing dry weather football on wet days. Flicking it around killed us. We need to play a different style with a greasy ball. 

Time to talk about delistings. 

Is there only one 'game plan'?  Certainly looks like it.  

Definitely do not deserve to play finals as long as we can't regularly beat the likes of EssUndone, Carlton and Saints x2.