• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

2016 Best & Fairest: Keith 'Bluey' Truscott Memorial Trophy (merged thread)

The Chazz

Who will win the 2016 Keith 'Bluey' Truscott Trophy?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the 2016 Keith 'Bluey' Truscott Trophy?

• Max Gawn
    • Jack Viney
    • Jack Watts
    • Nathan Jones
    • Bernie Vince
    • Tom McDonald
    • Dom Tyson
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

14 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

I liked his description of Hunt: "...will stop at nothing to get the best out of himself and will be a fantastic player for this club for a long time".

I would say that Hunt is one of our better public speakers.  He was composed, articulate, gracious and he remembered to thank supporters!!

He has all the on and off field attributes to become a real leader for our club.    No pressure but Hunt could easily become Viney's V.C.

Anybody want to admit to being one of the posters who constantly criticises public school boys? Some of ours are doing OK.

• Like 1

Just finished watching all the speeches and I am a bit speechless, we have a very special group of people at our club, the clear message is unity and a determination to become relevant in the AFL world. I can't wait to get back to the Gee next year and watch their further growth as a team and the long awaited progression up the ladder. GO DEE's!!!

• Like 1

On 8 September 2016 at 6:27 PM, Lucifer's Hero said:

I liked his description of Hunt: "...will stop at nothing to get the best out of himself and will be a fantastic player for this club for a long time".

I would say that Hunt is one of our better public speakers.  He was composed, articulate, gracious and he remembered to thank supporters!!

He has all the on and off field attributes to become a real leader for our club.    No pressure but Hunt could easily become Viney's V.C.

Yep, no surprise that Watts and Hunt are Brighton Grammarians with their public speaking skills.

4 hours ago, Watts the matter said:

I'm confused? Isn't he from Brighton Grammar?

Brighton along with Melbourne Grammar, Scotch, Xavier, Wesley, St Kevin's, the Geelongs etc are part of the Associated Public Schools. 

Even in my day some of the schools had a positive enrolment policy to kids with special sporting ability. St. Kevin's had a 1st rowing eight at one time that well and truly belied their small school stature and, I think,  Hailebury were the first to encourage kids who could catch and kick a footy well to come learn with them. That was back in the early 80's

Cyril came out of Scotch on a scholarship that is meant for kids from disadvantaged backgrounds (someone with more recent knowledge can correct me here if that's not right). Up here in Queensland some schools will do the same for kids who show exceptional swimming capabilities. 

Dont know how Salem, Dawes, Watts, Hunt and the future Brownlow medallist from GWS fit into all this. Who knows perhaps the Brighton area naturally produces exceptional footballers

• Like 1

i think the op was maybe confused by the term "public schools"?

in the uk a public school is the term for a privately run, non-government school whereas in australia a public school means a government "free" school and private school means a non-government school that charges for tuition

this is then somewhat confused by the melbourne private school alliance that calls itself the aps where the "p" (confusingly) stands for "public". presumably a hangover from british heritage

27 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

i think the op was maybe confused by the term "public schools"?

in the uk a public school is the term for a privately run, non-government school whereas in australia a public school means a government "free" school and private school means a non-government school that charges for tuition

this is then somewhat confused by the melbourne private school alliance that calls itself the aps where the "p" (confusingly) stands for "public". presumably a hangover from british heritage

Yes, the APS schools such as Brighton Grammar are not public schools

20 hours ago, Watts the matter said:

Hahaha can you imagine all this discussion re schools ever appearing on the Pies supporters' site?

• Like 4

On 08/09/2016 at 6:39 PM, Nasher said:

Anyone else get "out of bounds" when going "more videos" on the mobile version of the site? It's been like that all year for me, getting a tad frustrated!

They changed the page from Dee-tv to Melbourne-tv but didn't update the link. You can find the rest of the videos here:

http://m.melbournefc.com.au/melbourne-tv

• Like 3

On 10/09/2016 at 0:18 PM, Watts the matter said:

Well, yes...and no.

The term "public schools" derives from the concept of schools such as Brighton Grammar, Scotch, Xavier etc being open to the public at large. Just as long as (a) you can afford to send your child there, (b) your child is of  the correct gender for a single sex school and (c) there is available space in a school with high demand.

And if you live in Melbourne, often the second most common question you'll get asked in life is "Which school did you go to?" which in the olden days (think 1950s and 60s) was really asking you two other questions rolled into one (did you come from a family who could afford to send you to a "public school"? and what's your religion?)   

• Like 3

On 9/9/2016 at 6:27 PM, Watts the matter said:

I'm confused? Isn't he from Brighton Grammar?

As the Coodabeens say " it's not a real Public School Tony!"

Edited by jnrmac
  • Like 4

Tom Scully attended Haileybury College on a sporting scholarship. All the APS schools offer sports scholarships, some more than others. Haileybury and Xavier have been probably the two schools that have dished out the most scholarships over time. In some instances, not to much attention is paid to academic studies where the student has not been academically inclined. A friend's son was in the same year as Tom Scully and said that his academic studies were not high on his priority list, indeed the only priority he had was to play AFL footy (followed by a quip made about basket weaving). Having said that, many of the young footballers who have attended APS schools have been very smart kids and have done very well at VCE level, our own Jack Watts and Jack Viney being two examples.

These schools are seen by many for being elitist and only for the wealthy. However, they do also offer scholarships or half scholarships to disadvantaged kids. Most parents work hard and bust a gut to send their kids to these schools.  They are not for all but they do play a role. 

• Like 2

some confusion creeps in when some think of private schools.

In Melbourne , other than the Catholic  Schools ( like St Bedes ) there are two main camps  AGS , Associated Grammar Schools and APS  Associated  Public Schools

All charge $$$$$ ;)

Some former AGS schools  are now APS    ( Bit like part of Chaddy is now East Malvern if yo get my drift !! )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hemingway said:

Tom Scully attended Haileybury College on a sporting scholarship. All the APS schools offer sports scholarships, some more than others. Haileybury and Xavier have been probably the two schools that have dished out the most scholarships over time. In some instances, not to much attention is paid to academic studies where the student has not been academically inclined. A friend's son was in the same year as Tom Scully and said that his academic studies were not high on his priority list, indeed the only priority he had was to play AFL footy (followed by a quip made about basket weaving). Having said that, many of the young footballers who have attended APS schools have been very smart kids and have done very well at VCE level, our own Jack Watts and Jack Viney being two examples.

These schools are seen by many for being elitist and only for the wealthy. However, they do also offer scholarships or half scholarships to disadvantaged kids. Most parents work hard and bust a gut to send their kids to these schools.  They are not for all but they do play a role. 

Yep, I attended about Haileybury about 2 years before they introduced 100% funded sports scholarships. Before that, a sports scholarship would only cover a maximum 50% of school fees. I remember discussions at the time were centred around those who said academics must count for something, and we cannot 'buy' APS premierships with fully funded sports scholarships as it sacrifices the school's values. Others said we needed to 'keep up' with Xavier (and I think Carey from memory). I have a relative who was on the board at the time arguing against the change, but lost out. Apparently the school desperately wanted the sporting premierships.

The mood around the coaching for the firsts teams was always extremely competitive, with extensive sports reports in the assemblies on Tuesdays following the games.

Having said that, I don't think Tory Dixon, Stef Martin or Alex Silvagni were on sports scholarships at all. Martin played basketball back then from memory anyway, I think he was in the state team but that was after my time.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Choke
  • Like 2

On 9/9/2016 at 10:55 PM, demon9 said:

Yep, no surprise that Watts and Hunt are Brighton Grammarians with their public speaking skills.

Viv Michie was captain of the APS team that included Mitch Wallis and Tom Libratore. I think he went to Wesley. Watched them play at Etihad once. Absolutely brilliant spectacle, as good as what you see at VFL level.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Choke said:

Yep, I attended about Haileybury about 2 years before they introduced 100% funded sports scholarships. Before that, a sports scholarship would only cover a maximum 50% of school fees. I remember discussions at the time were centred around those who said academics must count for something, and we cannot 'buy' APS premierships with fully funded sports scholarships as it sacrifices the school's values. Others said we needed to 'keep up' with Xavier (and I think Carey from memory). I have a relative who was on the board at the time arguing against the change, but lost out. Apparently the school desperately wanted the sporting premierships.

The mood around the coaching for the firsts teams was always extremely competitive, with extensive sports reports in the assemblies on Tuesdays following the games.

Having said that, I don't think Tory Dixon, Stef Martin or Alex Silvagni were on sports scholarships at all. Martin played basketball back then from memory anyway, I think he was in the state team but that was after my time.

Edit: Spelling

Yeah interesting. Understand that Stef Martin is a pretty smart guy so you are probably right. My guess is that you also right about Carey Grammar because in the last few years that have had 6 students make AFL lists -Viney, Moore, McRae, Hrovat, Ashby and Jaksch.  The picks are obviously Viney, Moore and McRae.  

• Like 1

On 11 September 2016 at 8:47 AM, bjDee said:

Hahaha can you imagine all this discussion re schools ever appearing on the Pies supporters' site?

Being a product of the state school system I find this sort of comment on here to be very elitist. There is a good reason that the private schools are providing more of our AFL footballing stocks.

Firstly, under the Howard Government, the funding formula was adjusted to further favour the private school and did more to create a two-tiered system whereby there has been a huge drift from the state to the private sector. This further weakens the state system as it leaves it with the job of catering for the most marginal students and driving the aspirational ones away. This trend will continue until the balance is redressed or there is a major economic downturn which drives some students back to the state system. No matter what your political allegiance is, these are the facts.

Secondly, many of the private schools offer sporting scholarships to those who show talent. This has the effect of further stripping the talent from the state run schools.

Thirdly, the private schools have the money, the resources and incentive (for their public image) to run 1st, 2nd and 3rd XVIII teams in healthy weekend comps. This very much aids in the development of young players. They often employ high level coaches to run these teams (e.g., Robert Shaw). State schools have to run occasional weekday comps which are usually irregular in their nature. Hence the difference in the standards and why so many players now come out of the private system.

Please don't talk about Collingwood supporters and your private school background in the same paragraph. Now wonder people label Demon supporters as silver-tailed wankers. You don't do us any favours.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, btdemon said:

Being a product of the state school system I find this sort of comment on here to be very elitist. There is a good reason that the private schools are providing more of our AFL footballing stocks.

Firstly, under the Howard Government, the funding formula was adjusted to further favour the private school and did more to create a two-tiered system whereby there has been a huge drift from the state to the private sector. This further weakens the state system as it leaves it with the job of catering for the most marginal students and driving the aspirational ones away. This trend will continue until the balance is redressed or there is a major economic downturn which drives some students back to the state system. No matter what your political allegiance is, these are the facts.

Secondly, many of the private schools offer sporting scholarships to those who show talent. This has the effect of further stripping the talent from the state run schools.

Thirdly, the private schools have the money, the resources and incentive (for their public image) to run 1st, 2nd and 3rd XVIII teams in healthy weekend comps. This very much aids in the development of young players. They often employ high level coaches to run these teams (e.g., Robert Shaw). State schools have to run occasional weekday comps which are usually irregular in their nature. Hence the difference in the standards and why so many players now come out of the private system.

Please don't talk about Collingwood supporters and your private school background in the same paragraph. Now wonder people label Demon supporters as silver-tailed wankers. You don't do us any favours.

BT, he was having a go at Collingwood supporters sites. 

Image result for chip on shoulder quotes

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, btdemon said:

Yep, when I was at Haileybury they had Bob Skilton and Stuart Loewe. Both were part-time 'consultants' from memory, and Loewe played for the Bloods.

They used to love to bang on about it at the open days to prospective parents.

Edit: Spelling again. My parents should get a refund for my private school education.

Edited by Choke
  • Like 1

hit a nerve there i see.....:lol: your post is however quite true.

i live very near plc and regularly drive past on many sides. the building development there in the last few years is staggering and the sports and other facilities there are second to none. the size of the campus now rivals a university and there is still plenty of open ground left.  the majority of students are now asian who undoubtedly are providing the funds for all the development. parents are buying up all the nearby real estate just to be close to the school. having deakin (in a similar development frenzy and clientele) just across the road adds to the attraction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btdemon said:

Really not much of an issue with pointing out that a higher proportion of Melbourne supporters went to private schools than Collingwood supporters. 

10 minutes ago, Ricky P said:

Really not much of an issue with pointing out that a higher proportion of Melbourne supporters went to private schools than Collingwood supporters. 

I am a Melbourne supporter and went to school in Collingwood.  Not many of those around  I bet. 

• Like 2