Paul Roos on the Couch tonight

dees189227

3 hours ago, Spirit of '87 said:

Well he said he thinks he'll stay anyway.

Later Jonathan Brown was the most positive of the panelists, backing Melbourne to play finals next year, adding that he thinks Melbourne has the best talent of the teams outside the Eight.

I really enjoy Brown's commentary, because he's almost always very complimentary about us.

And thanks for the run down everyone. Couldn't watch again tonight as it conflicted with The Kettering Incident. :P

3 hours ago, P-man said:

Towards the end of the show they asked when Melbourne would play finals,

King and Dunstall said 2018.

Brown said next year and rated the young talent level the best after GWS.

I agree with Brown. Dunstall can't help but show his contempt for Melbourne. Made another 'off to the snow' comment yesterday on air, I'm told. And King is a sheep and A grade [censored], who lacks insight for a guy that spends his entire week watching footy reels and trying to work out what's going on.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, AdamFphlebeb said:

I really enjoy Brown's commentary, because he's almost always very complimentary about us.

And thanks for the run down everyone. Couldn't watch again tonight as it conflicted with The Kettering Incident. :P

I agree with Brown. Dunstall can't help but show his contempt for Melbourne. Made another 'off to the snow' comment yesterday on air, I'm told. And King is a sheep and A grade [censored], who lacks insight for a guy that spends his entire week watching footy reels and trying to work out what's going on.

I reckon Dunstall seems like a good bloke and is usually complimentary of Melbourne. His comment was "I can see why Melbourne supporters go to the snow" after yet another mistake. It was funny and completely warranted given the way we were playing.

Agree that King is an absolute [censored] who talks shite.

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, Ricky P said:

I reckon Dunstall seems like a good bloke and is usually complimentary of Melbourne. His comment was "I can see why Melbourne supporters go to the snow" after yet another mistake. It was funny and completely warranted given the way we were playing.

Agree that King is an absolute [censored] who talks shite.

Dunstall is another in a long line of puncey Hawthorn twats that offers snide media jibes directed at Melbourne supporters. As I said on one of the Facebook pages, most of Hawthorn's supporters used to follow Melbourne until it got all too hard during the 70s and 80s and then they jumped ship. So they have just as many toffs as us and their major sponsor is Audi FFS! Yet, we're the ones that are off to the snow the whole time.

Dunstall used to be measured and tried to compliment Melbourne and now he can't conceal his resentment. Perhaps he sees that we're coming? ;)

• Like 3

The best question was when I think King it was asked him if he was worth the money. That got Roosy thinking. He was quite diplomatic of course and pretty much said he was hired to do a job and he's done it. 

He didn't want to heap too much pressure on Goodwin for next year, that's what the youth comment was about. 

He said the 1st half was better than he thought. 2nd half terrible. I agree. 1st quarter was super sloppy but it was all our mistakes, 2nd quarter we dominated and should've put more on the scoreboard. Second half we held on.

I think Roos has done a fantastic job. He's taken a lot of the heat, promoted the club and hopefully helped put the entire football department and club on the right track. That said, I'm looking forward to having a coach who's all in, doesn't have a brand to protect and isn't some form of consultant. 4 more weeks to really have a free swing at getting a couple of wins to send Roosy out on a high.

• Like 13

3 hours ago, Timothy Reddan-A'Blew said:

I know this is a thread about Roos's interview, but hope it's OK to talk about some points arising?

Training: If it's noted at the time, could/should something have been done at the time??

Hogan's kicking: He's left handed. And I noted, close up, his ball drop for his missed attempt from the Outer flank, Punt Rd end. Looks like a left hander's (emphasis on the left hand, ball 'held' left of centre) Might be contributing?

We won, but would have thought that is one of the things coaches are payed chit tonnes of money to notice.  To then put strategies in place to make sure the players are "up" every bloody game, they are paid chit tonnes to not be flat. Again leadership from the players is still not where it needs to be.

I have to say that if you look at our midfield I can see why Dunstall and King say it will be 2018 before we play any finals. Besides Jones and Vince who have played 219 and 189 respectively, we do not have any other midfielders that are playing consistent first 22 football with more that 67 games experience. Tyson on 67 and Viney on 66 are well ahead of the rest of the field with no one more that Salem 29 games, and those games have been mainly off the HBF.

Petracca (13) and Oliver (10) have the least experience.

We need an other couple of seasons or 40 odd games into most of our midfield to ensure they have enough experience and fitness to run out games. Petracca is a case in point. on the weekend he did some very very good things but looked stuffed after each run and needed to gather himself before he went again. After an additional couple of pre-seasons to build the tank a bit I would expect him to be a lot more consistent throughout a game.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

The best question was when I think King it was asked him if he was worth the money. That got Roosy thinking. He was quite diplomatic of course and pretty much said he was hired to do a job and he's done it. 

I think Roos has done a fantastic job. He's taken a lot of the heat, promoted the club and hopefully helped put the entire football department and club on the right track. That said, I'm looking forward to having a coach who's all in, doesn't have a brand to protect and isn't some form of consultant. 4 more weeks to really have a free swing at getting a couple of wins to send Roosy out on a high.

Roos should open a school for sports media performance, knows how to tell you something without letting the media blow it up too much. His job wasn't like other ring in coaches who are meant to take a team to the next level and get them to the premiership, his job was to build the FD from the ground up and rebuild the playing group with professional attitudes and belief in themselves. 

It would have been a much easier job taking on the role of foundation coach at GC or GWS because our culture was poison when he came in, and he and PJ had to almost reinvent the club. 

Was I hopeful of finals in his final year with us? Yes. But what was more important was the stability we had under him. He was unsackable, and he was also bringing in our next coach so therefor the path was laid out in front of us and the players. 

I hope the players go and go and go until the very end this year (hopefully GC will be the exception) I'd love to see us send Roos off on a high. 

And just on that I have wondered whether it might be an idea to have the Carlton game as his last game and hand over the reigns for the final round. Not like it would be a massive shock to the players, but I like the idea of the him being sent off in front of the MCC and more Melbourne fans. 

Edited by Pates
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Cards13 said:

We won, but would have thought that is one of the things coaches are payed chit tonnes of money to notice.  To then put strategies in place to make sure the players are "up" every bloody game, they are paid chit tonnes to not be flat. Again leadership from the players is still not where it needs to be.

Like Grant Thomas did back in 2004 when they noticed the Saints players were a little flat, so took them all to the movies instead of training to continue their 10-0 run. Oh wait a minute.....

We won despite being extremely flat at training, there for it sounds like the coaches did their job reasonably well.

6 hours ago, AdamFphlebeb said:

Dunstall is another in a long line of puncey Hawthorn twats that offers snide media jibes directed at Melbourne supporters. As I said on one of the Facebook pages, most of Hawthorn's supporters used to follow Melbourne until it got all too hard during the 70s and 80s and then they jumped ship. So they have just as many toffs as us and their major sponsor is Audi FFS! Yet, we're the ones that are off to the snow the whole time.

Dunstall used to be measured and tried to compliment Melbourne and now he can't conceal his resentment. Perhaps he sees that we're coming? ;)

It is interesting how we all see and hear different things.

I think Dunstall actually has a soft spot for us. 

The only thing I think everyone has agreed on is Dwayne Russell and Greg Denham are flogs of the highest order - that opinion has universal acceptance.

• Like 10

whilst roos might label himself as 'coach of the footy dept.' i think his role is far more widespread than that - he and pj have been leaders of the club as a whole and completely changed our standing within the football community.

the job they have done is beyond stellar. we have got better year on year since their arrival and i remain hopeful that roos remains involved with the club in some capacity, be it in a football admin role or as women's coach or coaching adviser or some such.

we have come a long, long way from the dark years under neeld and schwab.

• Like 12

10 hours ago, AdamFphlebeb said:

I agree with Brown. Dunstall can't help but show his contempt for Melbourne. Made another 'off to the snow' comment yesterday on air, I'm told. And King is a sheep and A grade [censored], who lacks insight for a guy that spends his entire week watching footy reels and trying to work out what's going on.

Have to disagree re Dunstall. I think he genuinely wants to see Melbourne on the up. Some of the snow comments were quite funny. "Stamp my lift ticket!" actually made me laugh out loud. He was ultimately trying to be empathetic to supporters.

Out of 2017 and 2018, I'm leaning more towards 2018, pending on who gets picked up in the off season. 

Edited by P-man
  • Like 6

13 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

What about Round 2 of this year

love to know what was said behind closed doors after that debacle...

They actually spoke about that after we beat Richmond and Collingwood. Caro on Footy Classified (take that as you will) said there were pretty harsh words and a lot of home truths thrown around after the Essendon loss. She said something like, "It really changed how they approach the opponent" or something along those lines. We definitely saw a swing in performance in the month after that. They responded well. If only we played a top 8 team aside from North in that period. They could have really proven themselves.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, praha said:

They actually spoke about that after we beat Richmond and Collingwood. Caro on Footy Classified (take that as you will) said there were pretty harsh words and a lot of home truths thrown around after the Essendon loss. She said something like, "It really changed how they approach the opponent" or something along those lines. We definitely saw a swing in performance in the month after that. They responded well. If only we played a top 8 team aside from North in that period. They could have really proven themselves.

Thanks for that

was not aware of it

4 hours ago, DemonAndrew said:

whilst roos might label himself as 'coach of the footy dept.' i think his role is far more widespread than that - he and pj have been leaders of the club as a whole and completely changed our standing within the football community.

the job they have done is beyond stellar. we have got better year on year since their arrival and i remain hopeful that roos remains involved with the club in some capacity, be it in a football admin role or as women's coach or coaching adviser or some such.

Totally agree with these comments. I must admit, I would feel much more comfortable if we had Roos at the helm over the next few years, despite criticism of his game plan or match day coaching. I just think his overall impact on the footy club and footy department has been profound. He is a person of exceptional character and high values. His tempered and positive views and thinking has been really important when we have had reasons to doubt and worry.  For some reason, I have an uneasy feeling about Goodwin. I know, irrational and without cause, but there you are. 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, DemonAndrew said:

I had a conversation recently with a member of the clubs staff. He said make no mistake, Roos is the master operator and he and PJ are the keys to the club wide improvement. He said Goodwin will bring his own strengths, but it will be very hard to cover Roos and the respect and direction he brings across the club.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hemingway said:

Totally agree with these comments. I must admit, I would feel much more comfortable if we had Roos at the helm over the next few years, despite criticism of his game plan or match day coaching. I just think his overall impact on the footy club and footy department has been profound. He is a person of exceptional character and high values. His tempered and positive views and thinking has been really important when we have had reasons to doubt and worry.  For some reason, I have an uneasy feeling about Goodwin. I know, irrational and without cause, but there you are. 

All I can think is "Please Simon, do not [censored] this up!"

I really hope Roos stays in the club in some sort of leadership role.

1 hour ago, Swooper said:

I had a conversation recently with a member of the clubs staff. He said make no mistake, Roos is the master operator and he and PJ are the keys to the club wide improvement. He said Goodwin will bring his own strengths, but it will be very hard to cover Roos and the respect and direction he brings across the club.

I share your uneasy feelling, hemingway.  Maybe it is intuition.  Maybe it is things like:  

• A few times posters have said players respect Roos but really 'love' Goodwin.  The Goodwin 'Love' without the respect can quickly evaporate.  As 'Swooper' alludes to Goodwin has big shoes to fill when it comes to Respect.
  • Goodwin has openly talked about being really good mates with Melksham and Hibbered.  I'm not sure having the coach's mates on a team is ideal for team harmony especially if a perception of 'favourites' evolves re contracts, team selections etc.  That they are reported as getting 4 yr contracts when our homegrown (excellent) players get only 2 or 3 (except Jones/Viney) makes me wonder. 
  • People seem to think that Goodwin will be a Hinkley, Pyke or Beveridge and we will automatically climb the ladder.  Goodwin is very inexperienced compared to those guys: 4 years at a dodgy club and 2 years with Roos'; never coached his own team at any level; has no runs on the board.
  • Last but not least - Roos has not followed the Longmire handover pattern.  Is it Roos' ego to make him coach out the season?  Or does he have some doubts about Goodwin?  Roos has given Goodwin no public profile whatsoever. A mystery?
  • We have a very inexperienced team with limited on-field leadership and again will have a rookie coach. 

I look forward to 'Goodwin bringing his own strengths' as 'Swooper' notes.  For our sake, I sure hope man management, team building and coaching is among them. But I can't shake that uneasy feeling.  The one thing that gives me some comfort is that Macca is there. 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 10

8 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

I share your uneasy feelling, hemingway.  Maybe it is intuition.  Maybe it is things like:  

• A few times posters have said players respect Roos but really 'love' Goodwin.  The Goodwin 'Love' without the respect can quickly evaporate.  As 'Swooper' alludes to Goodwin has big shoes to fill when it comes to Respect.
  • Goodwin has openly talked about being really good mates with Melksham and Hibbered.  I'm not sure having the coach's mates on a team is ideal for team harmony especially if a perception of 'favourites' evolves re contracts, team selections etc.  That they are reported as getting 4 yr contracts when our homegrown (excellent) players get only 2 or 3 (except Jones/Viney) makes me wonder. 
  • People seem to think that Goodwin will be a Hinkley, Pyke or Beveridge and we will automatically climb the ladder.  Goodwin is very inexperienced compared to those guys: 4 years at a dodgy club and 2 years with Roos'; never coached his own team at any level; has no runs on the board.
  • Last but not least - Roos has not followed the Longmire handover pattern.  Is it Roos' ego to make him coach out the season?  Or does he have some doubts about Goodwin?  Roos has given Goodwin no public profile whatsoever. A mystery?
  • We have a very inexperienced team with limited on-field leadership and again will have a rookie coach. 

I look forward to 'Goodwin bringing his own strengths' as 'Swooper' notes.  For our sake, I sure hope man management, team building and coaching is among them. But I can't shake that uneasy feeling.  The one thing that gives me some comfort is that Macca is there. 

I think you summed it up with your last minute acknowledgement of "Macca". It would be easy to underestimate the roles of Goody and Macca this year and I suspect that Roos has worked closer with the pair of them than we might appreciate from his press conferences where he has fronted the media etc. Neither Goody or Macca are fools and I am confident that Roos has managed the transition (together with PJ, Viney, Taylor et al) to give us a seamless passage into 2017 (& Finals)!

• Like 2

Couldn't agree more Hemmingway, I'm also 'edgy' about the transition to Goodwin.  Probably just 'jumping at shadows' (otherwise known as MFCSS), but so much progress has been made over the Roos era, it's hard for me not to be a bit uneasy about what the next generation might bring.  We need a seamless transition to Goodwin, with most, if not all of the current support staff remaining in place, and preferably with Roosy still having some sort of involvement over the next year or two.  On a positive note, Roosy seems to have the utmost confidence in Goodwin, and from what I've heard and read, the players love working for Goody.  PJ's ongoing oversight also gives me some confidence. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Deeoldfart said:

Couldn't agree more Hemmingway, I'm also 'edgy' about the transition to Goodwin.  Probably just 'jumping at shadows' (otherwise known as MFCSS), but so much progress has been made over the Roos era, it's hard for me not to be a bit uneasy about what the next generation might bring.  We need a seamless transition to Goodwin, with most, if not all of the current support staff remaining in place, and preferably with Roosy still having some sort of involvement over the next year or two.  On a positive note, Roosy seems to have the utmost confidence in Goodwin, and from what I've heard and read, the players love working for Goody.  PJ's ongoing oversight also gives me some confidence. 

I wouldn't say I'm particularly uneasy about Goodwin. It's just a fact that it's a big step up from being an assistant to being the main man. Mark Neeld was the most highly rated assistant at the premiership club. Julia Gillard was the most talented front bencher in the govt. The top job is always harder and you never know if someone's going to make it until they're in the job.

I'm certain that we've done everything we can to pick the right bloke and give him the best possible chance to succeed. And Roos has done this very successfully up at Sydney. But there will still be uncertainty until it happens.

That's life and I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ricky P said:

I wouldn't say I'm particularly uneasy about Goodwin. It's just a fact that it's a big step up from being an assistant to being the main man. Mark Neeld was the most highly rated assistant at the premiership club. Julia Gillard was the most talented front bencher in the govt. The top job is always harder and you never know if someone's going to make it until they're in the job.

Thanks Ricky.  I've moved from being a bit 'uneasy' to petrified now that you've drawn those connections! (lol)

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Deeoldfart said:

Thanks Ricky.  I've moved from being a bit 'uneasy' to petrified now that you've drawn those connections! (lol)

I am reasured by the fact that we have PJ at the helm  and a good Board now.

I seriously doubt they would take us down the path we endured with the Previous lot.

PJ and Roos have had two years to check him out at close quarters, that must show they think he is up to it.

Edited by old dee
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Ricky P said:

I'm certain that we've done everything we can to pick the right bloke and give him the best possible chance to succeed. And Roos has done this very successfully up at Sydney. But there will still be uncertainty until it happens.

That's life and I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes!

I thought Julia did a sterling job considering the hostile senate she had to face. Not withstanding Bill Shorten's knife and Krudd's tantrums!!

i hope Goodwin has a thick skin...

he is going to need it

• Like 4