POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 19

Demonland

4 minutes ago, old dee said:

Exactly Mandee.

My daughter recorded on Foxtel. Already told her delete once was enough.

I cannot remember the last time I went to a winning Melbourne match and did not watch the replay or did not sing the song at the end. It was eerily quiet in the MCC members and I left with my sons feeling empty and bewildered. 

5 minutes ago, AdamFphlebeb said:

I'm sorry, but we were never going to make the finals this year. Playing the youngest team every week dictates that there will be inconsistencies from week to week. Like GWS, they had all the talent in the world in their first few seasons, but their age demographic was all wrong. We're in a similar position and IMO it was foolhardy for anyone to expect us to make finals this year.

Yep you are right with the crap we serve up every other week. Tell that to Peter Jackson.

2 minutes ago, ManDee said:

I cannot remember the last time I went to a winning Melbourne match and did not watch the replay or did not sing the song at the end. It was eerily quiet in the MCC members and I left with my sons feeling empty and bewildered. 

I don't think we win enough to choose whether to sing the song or not. Was yesterday disappointing? Yes. Would I like to see us smash teams like GC? Yes. Did we win? Yes. Did I still sing the song? You bet

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ManDee said:

The main problem was the PA system failed you could not hear the song and then when I realised that something was playing I thought they had the wrong tune playing. Leaving that aside the major feeling everyone around me had was relief! It certainly was strange

• Like 2

Just now, Mickey said:

I don't think we win enough to choose whether to sing the song or not. Was yesterday disappointing? Yes. Would I like to see us smash teams like GC? Yes. Did we win? Yes. Did I still sing the song? You bet

I ws in the ponsford and the song wasn't playing through the speakers. Really weird

• Like 2

Just now, binman said:

I ws in the ponsford and the song wasn't playing through the speakers. Really weird

I was at the punt road end and could hear it, but now you mention it it wasn't as loud as usual 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hemingway said:

An age old tactic that has been used for ever by teams to combat a dominant ruckman. I think this has been used in other games this year, but it is going to become a common feature as Max has become one of the dominant big men of the competition. We need to be able to combat this tactic otherwise Max is going to become a very tired boy.

In the final minutes - when we had to kick a goal to win - it looked to me that Maxie was using his dominance to tap more out into space where we could run on to the ball. it worked, would like to see more of it.

Edited by TRIGON
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mickey said:

I was at the punt road end and could hear it, but now you mention it it wasn't as loud as usual 

I was on the wing members side and it  was inaudible.

Edited by old dee

35 minutes ago, america de cali said:

Yep you are right with the crap we serve up every other week. Tell that to Peter Jackson.

I think the club probably thought some of the older guys like Garland and Dunn would be apart of the future and help us win a few more games, but it was obvious pretty early on that wasn't going to happen. I'm okay with PJ aiming publicly for finals this year. Internally they probably felt they were a year off it still.

• Like 2

Every one around us was frustrated but relieved that we had won the game, we were on L2 Punt Road end and we could hear the Song but not as loud as usual, we still sang the song as if we had one by 10 goals, any win is a good win even if it was marred by wasteful turn overs and poor decision making. We would have lost this game in previous years and as a number of posters said earlier it was an Ugly Win but it puts us back in front of Collingwood. Wattsy, Gawnie, Tyson, Petracca, McDonalds x2, Hunt & Vanders all put in. - GO DEE's!!

1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

That won't cut it this time doctor. 

We cannot afford to "make do" anymore. 

This club has done that for years

Keeping poor leasers only brings in bad habits & by the time they (the kids) are 24-27 it is too hard to change that. 

We need non Melbourne leadership to get this team playing as a cohesive unit

We've tried importing it but you're not going to get the kind of leaders you're looking for (ie those who will take a game by the scruff of the neck and win a match) - other clubs simply won't let them go or if they do they only go to preferred destinations (eg Dangerfield). In the meantime we simply do "have to make do" with guys like Cross, Vince, Lumumba etc as guides to the younger players until Viney, Petracca, Brayshaw etc are at the level to do it themselves.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AdamFphlebeb said:

I think the club probably thought some of the older guys like Garland and Dunn would be apart of the future and help us win a few more games, but it was obvious pretty early on that wasn't going to happen. I'm okay with PJ aiming publicly for finals this year. Internally they probably felt they were a year off it still.

They had to move away from the rebuidling rhetoric AND Roos only had one year left...theyneeded to sell some hope and blue sky

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

We've tried importing it but you're not going to get the kind of leaders you're looking for (ie those who will take a game by the scruff of the neck and win a match) - other clubs simply won't let them go or if they do they only go to preferred destinations (eg Dangerfield). In the meantime we simply do "have to make do" with guys like Cross, Vince, Lumumba etc as guides to the younger players until Viney, Petracca, Brayshaw etc are at the level to do it themselves.

Fair comment. But we have to keep importing. Because we aint found the right ones yet. This year has proved that. 

12 minutes ago, DeeZone said:

Every one around us was frustrated but relieved that we had won the game, we were on L2 Punt Road end and we could hear the Song but not as loud as usual, we still sang the song as if we had one by 10 goals, any win is a good win even if it was marred by wasteful turn overs and poor decision making. We would have lost this game in previous years and as a number of posters said earlier it was an Ugly Win but it puts us back in front of Collingwood. Wattsy, Gawnie, Tyson, Petracca, McDonalds x2, Hunt & Vanders all put in. - GO DEE's!!

Exactly the faces as I walked out of the AFL members was shock/disappointment. I did a fist pump walking out saying "we bloody won! Go the Demons" not sure if it helped or not.

We've won, what, 54 out of 216 games? I for one am glad we ended up with the 4 points, it was looking dicey there late in the last quarter.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AdamFphlebeb said:

They employed a simple third man up for most of the second half and probably earlier. This has been happening against Gawn for weeks and our players never give him a chop out when things clearly aren't working. It's fine to keep your structures, but we need to look at giving Max a block in these situations. 

1 hour ago, hemingway said:

An age old tactic that has been used for ever by teams to combat a dominant ruckman. I think this has been used in other games this year, but it is going to become a common feature as Max has become one of the dominant big men of the competition. We need to be able to combat this tactic otherwise Max is going to become a very tired boy.

The point I'm making is being missed. The third man up was often Nicholls himself (ie, the actual ruckman), while another player engaged Gawn, pretending to be the ruck. Not the typical third man up situation.

Watts waved his arms around at the ump in the third quarter, in the pocket at the city end, because he didn't know which of the big blokes standing next to him was the designated ruckman.

It has to be illegal, surely.

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Exactly the faces as I walked out of the AFL members was shock/disappointment. I did a fist pump walking out saying "we bloody won! Go the Demons" not sure if it helped or not.

We've won, what, 54 out of 216 games? I for one am glad we ended up with the 4 points, it was looking dicey there late in the last quarter.

That makes at least two of us Dr.

5 minutes ago, Undeeterred said:

The point I'm making is being missed. The third man up was often Nicholls himself (ie, the actual ruckman), while another player engaged Gawn, pretending to be the ruck. Not the typical third man up situation.

Watts waved his arms around at the ump in the third quarter, in the pocket at the city end, because he didn't know which of the big blokes standing next to him was the designated ruckman.

It has to be illegal, surely.

There was one instance at a throw in on about there 50 line on the MCC side. It was right in front of me where Gawn had both arms out with a Gold Coast player hanging off each one. Not sure you can have 2 rucks but they seemed to be allowed to. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, olisik said:

Have you seen Bontempelli play recently? We would be a top 8 team with him in it.

Bontempelli doesn't come into it, as we were not taking him. The argument is we passed on Kelly pick 2, for Dom and Salem.

Great to see the positive posts as usual by MFC supporters!

Ugly win but a win is a win & this game dosent define our whole season! Turnovers looked poor but gotta ask yourself  long season, just got back from a few road trips, young bodies etc. not making excuses but they are facts. Team just needs to bridge the gap between our great footy vs poor footy. We shouldnt discount that GC are far better than the 1st time we played them & credit needs to go to the way they played

Edited by Hogan2014

21 hours ago, Redleg said:

What are the odds that Dwayne Russell acknowledges we did ok out of the pick 2 for Tyson/Salem deal. 1000-1.

Seriously why would anyone waste oxygen or brainpower on that goose? It was the right deal for us and in any case it was the deal we did.

• Like 1