Grapeviney

The Jesse Hogan Panic Room - all contract talk here

Back on topic. Managers are there to make their players decisions for them aren't they and that includes thinking and future decision making. Wouldn't you just love to have your favorite manager who made you, the player, out to be as simple as that.

23 minutes ago, Roger Mellie said:

Having waded through all the hoo ha, I would factor in the following - if his father is gravely ill, there would be some compulsion to stay around the family as opposed to signing up for a long term deal and swanning off to the other side of the country. I know if it were me, I'd be loathe to lock into a long term deal until I was sure about the home front. I realise the club will be very accommodating and I believe it when they say he's happy at Melbourne. For me, that would be the reality of it. In other words, I think it's about the family and not about playing for Melb or Freo or raking in the big bucks, at this time.   

If that's the case and it could be, his manager shouldn't be coming out and saying Jesse wants to wait and see how the club goes next year. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 3

What a mess this will become into next year. Not much we can do about it. 

Keeps the Journalistic Swill employed. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

So if he has a terrible year in front of goal and his value drops like a stone, he is 'tanking', so he feels more comfortable when he finally decides to leave

We should all combine to write a novel, it would be a best seller

Quoting issues....again.

34 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

I assume it is a black comedy starring the CFMEU and Gatto

You only a need a synopsis based on the last few pages of this topic and you would have a classic psycho-drama on your hands

Although I think somebody has already had a crack at it

It's based on the railways (rail construction). I spent six years in the industry. But most of the characters and scenarios would be relatable to most.

Ok.  A clearer picture is emerging and for me it's relatively straight forward.

Hogan does "float" according to his manager when it comes to where he wants to play his footy.  My take is that he loves his mates, is happy with the club's progress and gets on very well with Goodwin, but unsurprisingly for a 21 year old who hasn't lived at home since he was 17, he gets occasional pangs of homesickness that prevents him from making a concrete decision.   And he doesn't need to, as he's contracted for 2017.

So while we all want a decision and so does the club Hogan can buy more time to be sure of his decision. 

I'm going to take things on face value.  I'm now comfortable in the belief that he'll be playing at Melbourne in 2017 and imo that augurs well for the future.  The more he bonds with his teammates (and the club) the better.  I appreciate others will think he'll leave at the end of 2017, and he may, but I still believe we'll be best placed to retain him. 

While it's also crossed my mind that it may be better to do a deal this year, if he's genuinely conflicted, which I have no reason to doubt, then we should back the club to convince him to stay.  I don't see the current events as some inevitability that he'll go.   He's got stuff to work through. 

I'm going to enjoy seeing Hogan for another year and will remain confident that he'll ultimately decide to stay.  If he is presently "torn" it may be that the extra time works in our favour.

• Like 23

8 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

If that's the case and it could be, his manager shouldn't be coming out and saying Jesse wants to wait and see how the club go next year. 

That type of talk pizzes me off big time. A truly committed player would want to drive success. I'm not saying Hoges isn't but his manager shouldn't say such crap.

• Like 3

I would be inclined to tell my manager to "cough"

28 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

If that's the case and it could be, his manager shouldn't be coming out and saying Jesse wants to wait and see how the club goes next year. 

I didn't realise that. It paints a slightly different picture but I find it hard to believe they would be trotting out last year's line as though there'd been no improvement between this year and last.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/sydney-swans-young-gun-isaac-heeney-wins-aflca-young-player-of-the-year-award/news-story/7053648c7235c334a7323f799c90f0bb

In the meantime Jesse comes second to Heeney, in the AFLCA best young player award - voted on performance over two years.

Not bad, eh:P  especially given the challenges and scrutiny on him this year.  

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

U can't use the same excuse two years in a row. Its not allowed. 

He could have come up with a believable excuse ffs. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, willmoy said:

I would be inclined to tell my manager to "cough"

Are you a medical professional Willmoy ??? 

Ps How are the pineapples coming on this year ????

Its time we all wised up. Money drives the whole thing!

I strongly believe that regardless of his fathers illness or not It I Reckon is a "Fait accompli"!! That he is gone! Sheeit don't be delusional everyone, if he was commited he would sign now and dispel all rumour and innuendo! The fact that he hasn't means we can speculate about possible reasons why he hasn't signed! ?? I reckon he or his managers have already decided to get the Biggest pay packet of all time, preferably West and live happily ever after.!!

Can anyone on this site Seriously, Seriously think that his own self interest and management advice would not be this way inclined??

Nar If he was truly madly deeply in love with the club then why not sign now!??????????????????????????????????????????????

Ok time to get tough, Freos pick 3 for Hogan, plus a player, Offer pick 3 and Grimes to the Tiges in their dishevelled state for Reiwoldt And Wnner , Winner Winner!!

Edited by picket fence

54 minutes ago, Roger Mellie said:

Having waded through all the hoo ha, I would factor in the following - if his father is gravely ill, there would be some compulsion to stay around the family as opposed to signing up for a long term deal and swanning off to the other side of the country. I know if it were me, I'd be loathe to lock into a long term deal until I was sure about the home front. I realise the club will be very accommodating and I believe it when they say he's happy at Melbourne. For me, that would be the reality of it. In other words, I think it's about the family and not about playing for Melb or Freo or raking in the big bucks, at this time.   

Yes Roger that sums it up for me. If the illness is true the Club is limited in what strategies it can employ, it really has no choice but to wait it out and see how it all pans out. Very difficult situation for the club to play hard ball. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Its time we all wised up. Money drives the whole thing!

I strongly believe that regardless of his fathers illness or not It I Reckon is a "Fait accompli"!! That he is gone! Sheeit don't be delusional everyone, if he was commited he would sign now and dispel all rumour and innuendo! The fact that he hasn't means we can speculate about possible reasons why?? I reckon he or his managers have already decided to get the Biggest pay packet of all time, preferably West and live happily ever after.!!

Can anyone on this site Seriously, Seriuosly think that his own self interest and management advice would not be this way inclined??

Nar If he was truly madly deeply in love with the club then why not sign now!??????????????????????????????????????????????

Ok time to get tough, Freos pick 3 for Hogan, plus a player, Offer pick 3 and Grimes to the Tiges in their dishevelled state for Reiwoldt And Wnner , Winner Winner!!

Always a cool head in discussions Picket Fence! :P

Just now, Pates said:

Always a cool head in discussions Picket Fence! :P

Forget, Cool, just "On the reality train!"

5 minutes ago, chook fowler said:

The bus isn't going any more?

It's hard to keep up, he's driving the Oliver Express at full throttle! He must work for Public Transport Victoria! ;)

Am I the only one who wasn't aware that his father was ill? Is there an actual source beyond Demonland?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chook fowler said:

The bus isn't going any more?

It aint " Cool Hand Luke" its Cool Head "Fence" !

Edited by picket fence

No player coasts, but many a mind is elsewhere!!

This is getting worse by the day....It's a horrible memory.......I can remember asking my dad why Ron Barassi left and went to Carlton....over and over....poor dad being Richmond .(...who were flogged every week then....(like now Ha!) )..... couldn't help......I was shattered......just a kid.........my life ruined at 13....I thought.

The Norm Smith Curse....come back Norm forgive us!!!! Ahhhh...etc etc

However...I was really upset when Mitch Clark left and now I'm happy about that........Geelong can have him. 

I need a psychiatrist to follow this club.

• Like 5

Sometimes, after catching up on several pages of this thread, I have an almost uncontrollable urge of throwing my iPhone against the wall.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, special robert said:

This is getting worse by the day....It's a horrible memory.......I can remember asking my dad why Ron Barassi left and went to Carlton....over and over....poor dad being Richmond .(...who were flogged every week then....(like now Ha!) )..... couldn't help......I was shattered......just a kid.........my life ruined at 13....I thought.

The Norm Smith Curse....come back Norm forgive us!!!! Ahhhh...etc etc

However...I was really upset when Mitch Clark left and now I'm happy about that........Geelong can have him. 

I need a psychiatrist to follow this club.

I think there are a few psychologists that do follow this club.