The Jesse Hogan Panic Room - all contract talk here

Grapeviney

1 minute ago, america de cali said:

The thought has been niggling n the back of my mind that some Vic clubs  may have made a huge play on Hogan too. I suspect Collingwood for one. They have been keen on getting rid of Cloke for a long time.  Cox looks like a spud.  Been quiet in the pre trade stirrings.  Surprised that Eddie hasn't weighed in on the Hogan speculation. Remember the Scully saga, Eddie was all over it. Given the recent spat with PJ, it would have been in Eddie's style to taunt us about it but he hasn't.  Anything is possible.

Collingwood gave up pick 7 in last year's draft plus their first round draft pick in this year's draft to GWS for Treloar.   They got back pick 28 but their pick this year looks like being pick 7 again.  As a consequence, they'd struggle to have the assets to trade for Hogan.  

Anyway, putting aside any Collingwood interest, you would imagine that Hogan would possibly/probably be worth more than a player like Treloar.  So a deal might suit our needs if a very good deal came our way.  A club would have to come up with the goods but a 3 way or 4 way complex deal could get it done.  Regardless, it would probably be Freo or the Eagles but that doesn't mean excellent offers wouldn't come from elsewhere (and that includes a possible big money offer for Hogan himself)

I don't see why we couldn't win out considering that Hogan is currently our asset ... I'd prefer him to stay but if the right deal came along and it was his intention to leave anyway, I'd do the deal.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ProDee said:

He'd feel no different to a week ago.

Nothing has changed, other than a club expressing the obvious, i.e. West Coast, and some supporters whose emotions rise and fall on nothing more than idle speculation. 

You're in charge of your own emotions, not Goodwin's.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cards13 said:

You try so hard Damian but they all laugh at you behind your back. Purple... Hahahha you let them call you that?!

Welcome to footy classlessness, where we'll be spending the first 20 mins discussing off field issues at Collingwood and Richmond every week.

Edited by DominatrixTyson
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Flamingdees said:

Three scenarios. 

1) Decides to re-sign on a long term deal. 

2) Decides to go back to WA. 

3) Plays on with us next year under current contract. 

Tarde period officially kicks off on 10th October so thinking we would want an indication of where Jesse's intentions lie within the next fortnight.  

Love to see the club come out shortly and say he's committed to a long term deal. Hate to say it but I've got a bad feeling about this.  Maybe it's just me being a typical negative Dee's supporter. 

Agree with Bombay. Two top 10 selections with one being a top three.

I mean what did Treloar go for? Pies pick 7 last year and pick 7 this year.  Don't get me wrong Treloar is a gun but Hogan has more upside as key forwards are hard to get and take much longer to develop.  

I think scenario 3 is going to be the worst for the club. It would be a year of full on speculation and every time we lost a game it would be brought up. I think most on here would agree that of he hasn't signed by the start of next season he's gone anyway. IF he is going then lets get it over and done with quickly. I hate break ups. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Flamingdees said:

How's Simon Goodwin feeling right now.

Hogan's the bloke that you can build a team around. 

Not sure how much he would be liking the idea of developing through the draft again. 

Flama pretty good from the coverage at North Port oval, he had a smile and was enjoying himself with his footy team watching the 2's go around.

1 hour ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Well it has started

Eagles declare interest in Hogan............ well send us your best and brightest Weagles.... Nic Nat and Gawn would make an interesting combo ^_^

http://www.theage.com.au/wa-news/eagles-boss-declares-interest-in-demons-star-jesse-hogan-20160918-griupi.html

nothing article. all based on the word "if". of course they would be interested if hogan declared he was going home to wa. Do you think they would say they wouldn't be?

Eagles football boss Craig Vozzo boldly announced it will be a two-pronged bidding war for the developing power forward if Hogan looks to head back to his home state.

Edited by daisycutter

I agree daisycutter. I really don't think much would've changed in Hogan's head since the start of the season, the media is just coming out with articles to try and sell more papers/get more readers. They know that by putting a title like 'Eagles in hunt for Hogan' they will get thousands of Eagles and Demons fans reading the article.

He may well go but I don't buy into this idea that he has changed his mind. If he does go we will get the best deal possible as both Freo and Eagles will want him.

• Like 2

Agree that the club will want an answer this year.  

If he goes a lot may depend on the Mayne compensation Freo receive. If its second round compensation they may try and upgrade that pick to a late first round one say to 15 to 18. That way a trade for Hogan might look like pick 3 and next years first round pick. 

Thats the only way I can see a fair trade being completed with Freo unless Weller, Neal or Fyfe come into play. 

WCE has pick 12 this year and say pick 10 to 14 next year (depending on ladder position) but also has Gaff, Shuey, Barras, Duggan and Sheed that we might be keen on. 

If he stays he would be looking at a massive five or six year deal. About one million bucks a year. 

Bet list decisions on Dawes and Pederson are also hinging on Jesse's intentions. 

Off topic, but I'm so glad we got the signature of Tom and Oscar McDonald, It has significantly taken the pressure off this years trade week and I think it perhaps shows which was Roosy's number 1 re-signing priority. With the mids and defence nailed down for the future, it makes the forward situation less dire and gives us time.

Edited by DominatrixTyson
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Flamingdees said:

Agree that the club will want an answer this year.  

If he goes a lot may depend on the Mayne compensation Freo receive. If its second round compensation they may try and upgrade that pick to a late first round one say to 15 to 18. That way a trade for Hogan might look like pick 3 and next years first round pick

Thats the only way I can see a fair trade being completed with Freo unless Weller, Neal or Fyfe come into play. 

WCE has pick 12 this year and say pick 10 to 14 next year (depending on ladder position) but also has Gaff, Shuey, Barras, Duggan and Sheed that we might be keen on. 

If he stays he would be looking at a massive five or six year deal. About one million bucks a year. 

Bet list decisions on Dawes and Pederson are also hinging on Jesse's intentions. 

Freo and WCE cannot trade out their 2016 and 2017 first round picks so if Hogan goes back to WA it will be very difficult to get two 1st round picks from either club.  Some posters have suggested Freo/WCE will need to trade in another 1st rnd pick from a 3rd club but this is much easier said than done. 

Given their likely available picks any trade won't be as attractive as some hope (unless they give up a star) and it would be very difficult for us to refuse to trade. 

Could shape up as the classic 'catch 22' for us.  With a less than satisfactory result.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Freo and WCE cannot trade out their 2016 and 2017 first round picks so if Hogan goes back to WA it will be very difficult to get two 1st round picks from either club.  Some posters have suggested Freo/WCE will need to trade in another 1st rnd pick from a 3rd club but this is much easier said than done. 

Given their likely available picks any trade won't be as attractive as some hope (unless they give up a star) and it would be very difficult for us to refuse to trade. 

Could shape up as the classic 'catch 22' for us.  With a less than satisfactory result.

That's literally what FlamingDees is suggesting. Freo upgrade the Mayne compo so they have a first rounder this year even if they trade out 3.

18 hours ago, Moneider96 said:

Bigfooty: '' Apparently Jesse was at the Wa amateurs grand final with a few Freo players . Don't know who the Freo players were but a mate said it was apparently mentioned on abc radio in Wa who covered the game.''

Scarborough played Trinity Aquinas in the WAAFL A grade GF yesterday unfortunately The Sea Eagles went down by 12 points. Hogan is a Newman College boy from Scarborough and played junior footy for Marist who don't have a senior side. A lot of Newman boys end up playing at Scarborough and Hogan has friends at the club. Ryan Murphy ex Freo plays for T/A Luke Mcpharlin is an Aquinas old boy and Tendai Muzungai came through there so this is really a nothing story. I was unable to get to the game yesterday so can't say who was and wasn't there

• Like 5

Scully was dishonerable about the way he did business, Promised Jimmy Stynes Yadda Yadda and then left.

At this piont I really beleive we need to play a bit of hard ball with Jesse and his manager.

I just have a feeling in my gut that he wil go!

I think we set a very short time line and say, Well u can see whats on offer, are u in or out!!?????

If he hedges I would be very tempted to be ruthless and Say..

Well Jesse, you have one year of your contract left and we.. will trade you for what's in the best interest of the MFC.

If you believe then what's stopping you?? Sign or ,we will see what we can get, cut our losses and move on!

Time to get very business like and not be seen as cap in hand!!

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Flamingdees said:

If Freo get second round compensation for Mayne they might be able to do a deal with say Sydney for example and move up a few spots. 

13 minutes ago, schmuttt said:

That's literally what FlamingDees is suggesting. Freo upgrade the Mayne compo so they have a first rounder this year even if they trade out 3.

Flamingdees made that suggestion after I posted, schmutt.  And it doesn't change that 3rd party deals/upgrades are much easier said than done. 

People just need to be realistic that once a player nominates a club the trade comes down to what the receiving club has to trade with.  Adelaide had to accept unders for Dangerfield:  Pick 9, 28 and a player who is yet to play a game.  Brisbane had to accept unders for a heap of players a few years ago.  Ditto Gold Coast for Harley Bennell.  Just watch GCS get unders for O'Meara because Hawks don't have good trading chips (unless they give up players).

Just saying, I don't think we are in a strong bargaining position if Hogan goes to WA and especially if he chooses Freo.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, picket fence said:

If he hedges I would be very tempted to be ruthless and Say..

Well Jesse, you have one year of your contract left and we.. will trade you for what's in the best interest of the MFC.

If you believe then what's stopping you?? Sign or ,we will see what we can get, cut our losses and move on!

Yes. He either signs or we trade him, this trade period.

It is untenable to carry on through next year dancing the Scully dance. Once bitten twice shy.

Freo are on record that they'll be rebuilding via the draft. McCarthy will come cheap but Hogan won't. I can't see them clearing out their top draft picks and/or a very handy player for Hogan alone.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, McQueen said:

Freo are on record that they'll be rebuilding via the draft. McCarthy will come cheap but Hogan won't. I can't see them clearing out their top draft picks and/or a very handy player for Hogan alone.

why will mccarthy come cheap? if it looks to be too cheap, gws can call their bluff again and put him in the draft. no great skin off their nose at this stage. wc then get a chance to pick him up cheap (or even a non wa club possibly). more to play out here i think. afl might even step in to assure their love-child is not treated too shabbily

33 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Flamingdees made that suggestion after I posted, schmutt.  And it doesn't change that 3rd party deals/upgrades are much easier said than done. 

People just need to be realistic that once a player nominates a club the trade comes down to what the receiving club has to trade with.  Adelaide had to accept unders for Dangerfield:  Pick 9, 28 and a player who is yet to play a game.  Brisbane had to accept unders for a heap of players a few years ago.  Ditto Gold Coast for Harley Bennell.  Just watch GCS get unders for O'Meara because Hawks don't have good trading chips (unless they give up players).

Just saying, I don't think we are in a strong bargaining position if Hogan goes to WA and especially if he chooses Freo.

Not sure if we can use Dangerfield as an example. He was a RFA wasn't he. Adelaide would have got end of first round as compensation so what they traded for was much better.

Brisbane lost a few.  Should have got a bit more for Yeo and the bloke that just won Carltons B&F.  You can't howver compare them to a Rising star winner who is a tall forward who has kicked around 80 or so goals in his first 40 games.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, McQueen said:

Acquiring Hogan at his age is hardly going against Freo's rebuild philosophy. Hogan could be a one in a generation player. You really think they'd pass up on him for an unproven high draft pick and a handy player?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

why will mccarthy come cheap? if it looks to be too cheap, gws can call their bluff again and put him in the draft. no great skin off their nose at this stage. wc then get a chance to pick him up cheap (or even a non wa club possibly). more to play out here i think. afl might even step in to assure their love-child is not treated too shabbily

He's had a year out of the system. That coupled with 'circumstances' of his defection = cheap.