The Jesse Hogan Panic Room - all contract talk here

Grapeviney

Being overseas it's probably easier for me to avoid this Hogan stuff, but seeing the Ox weigh into a discussion with Hogan I thought I'd throw in my two cents.

People are talking like this is an easy decision for Jess to make now, when his contract isn't up until the end of next year. This really sucks for us and for him because the idea of him signing a longer contract was to put this sort of thing off. The Ox makes it sound so simple, if he wants to go then we trade him this year. But what if at this stage he genuinely still doesn't know? A lot can change in a year.

Something I do agree with the Ox on is that if he were to leave it wouldn't be as much of a disaster as it might've been say 12 months ago. Our push up the ladder has been largely base on higher output from the midfield and an evenness across many players. The emergence of Watts as a productive forward and more goals from mids has meant his output didn't mean success or failure for the team. And with Weeds coming through and Hulett as well it won't be a dire emergency were he to leave.

The big test for Jesse will come once the CBA is finalised as this was something he pointed to as a reason for holding off, although it hasn't stopped a lot of a other players in the competition. I really didn't like West Coast coming out so boldly saying they were targeting him, are there any promising Victorian players or their list we can say the same thing about?

2 minutes ago, Vineytime said:

FWIW:

Tom Browne channel 7 sports news reporter just stated his information is that Hogan re commits to Melbourne. 

I didn't see that, but a person on BF said:

"Apparently staying according to Talking Footy. No extension but no trade this year"

Edited by DominatrixTyson

I think Jon Ralph is listing the two superstars at each club, not really getting into the nitty gritty. 

Basically saying if he comes across to WA it should be a Judd type deal or more than what collingwood paid for treloar

Edited by Wolfmother
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

74 shots on goal from 21 games (round 13 v Sydney, played in heavy rain, team kicked 4 goals for the entire match) for a return of 41 goals 33, he got his fair share of the footy. A lot of his misses were no more than 35 metres out and a less than 45 degree angle so no, your not going to kick too many when you continue to miss sodas. Yes the midfield has areas it needs to work but so does Hogan.

I've never stated for a second that he doesn't need to do some work as well.  Of course he needs to work on aspects of his game, which includes his kicking for goal, especially under a bit of pressure.  

But he could easily have had 50+ goals when you factor in the 33 points, and once he works all that out then he will kick 50+ goals a year for the rest of his career.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wolfmother said:

I think Jon Ralph is listing the two superstars at each club, not really getting into the nitty gritty. 

Basically saying if he comes across to WA it should be a Judd type deal or more than what collingwood paid for treloar

I am glad he said this, I am sick of seeing the proposed trade of pick 12 and Gaff thrown around on here like its some massive coup for us.  Horrible.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Yep, as PetraccaAttack said, Kennedy is 29, plus Darling is under-performing.

But John Ralph knows best.

Or, possibly, John Ralph read a few pages of this thread.

I do wonder that he's broken the polite (and appropriate) media silence respecting Hogan's family, just to try to make it sound like he has new info. It's either that, or there actually isn't a family illness, it has only ever been a Demonalnd and bigfooty rumour, and John Ralph now looks exactly like the prize **** that he is.

• Like 3

We've been burned so many times by this scenario in the past that I'm half hoping that the club just pre-empts his decision and trades him whether he asks to go or not. I know the plan is to have him anchor our forward line for the next decade, but right now he will net us more than he will this time next year when he announces that he's leaving. Far better to go now than have him say that he will go to the draft if we can't get the deal done in a year, leaving us to take whatever is offered.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ProDee said:

Thumbs up.

We live in an age where people go searching to find offence. 

Btw, I'm not suggesting LH was, but the grievance industry is alive and well.

According to our latest Australian of the year the word "guys" is now sexist.

But I digress ...

Edit: I hasten to add that I acknowledge you may not endorse my post, or that it adds to yours.

Morrison doesn't understand sexism.

15 minutes ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

We've been burned so many times by this scenario in the past that I'm half hoping that the club just pre-empts his decision and trades him whether he asks to go or not. I know the plan is to have him anchor our forward line for the next decade, but right now he will net us more than he will this time next year when he announces that he's leaving. Far better to go now than have him say that he will go to the draft if we can't get the deal done in a year, leaving us to take whatever is offered.

You hope the club puts him up for trade whether he wants to go or not? Riiiiiight...

If Hogans old man is terminally ill then I see the most likely situation is for us to give him space and him play for us next year.

If the club push for the contract situation to be resolved (either way) while he quite clearly has bigger issues at play would be disrespectful IMO

• Like 10

32 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

I am glad he said this, I am sick of seeing the proposed trade of pick 12 and Gaff thrown around on here like its some massive coup for us.  Horrible.

To be honest, it doesn't matter what they write in the media or what people write on Demonland. You can beat our FD wouldn't settle for pick 12 and Gaff for Hogan.

16 minutes ago, DemonWA said:

If Hogans old man is terminally ill then I see the most likely situation is for us to give him space and him play for us next year.

If the club push for the contract situation to be resolved (either way) while he quite clearly has bigger issues at play would be disrespectful IMO

And far less likely for the decision to go our way too.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Wells 11 said:

if thats true its nothing to celebrate. Thats the worst case scenario

You cannot be serious? The worst case scenario? That would be him leaving. 

If he chooses to exercise his right to honour the last year of his contract, as is his right, do you honestly believe the club will trade him this year to enure they get a primo deal? Of course they won't. Because it would be stupid and the current fd is not stupid.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, DemonWA said:

I agree. Plus I would go one further. If it was known that his Father had X amount of time left, I would advise Jesse to stay in Perth and start his pre-season later. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

40 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

Someone needs to let Jon Ralph know that Kennedy is 29 years old

32 minutes ago, Wolfmother said:

6 minutes ago, A F said:

To be honest, it doesn't matter what they write in the media or what people write on Demonland. You can beat our FD wouldn't settle for pick 12 and Gaff for Hogan.

So...my McGovern trade is in the ball park???

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Is Dom Is Good said:

I agree. Plus I would go one further. If it was known that his Father had X amount of time left, I would advise Jesse to stay in Perth and start his pre-season later. 

Yep agree with that. Cant blame anyone for wanting to be around family during those sort of times, and to be honest if his old man passes and he decides he needs to get a trade to be with his family full time then I wont begrudge him for that either.

• Like 1