Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The Jesse Hogan Panic Room - all contract talk here

Grapeviney

4 minutes ago, jackaub said:

He has yet to show me even a glimpse that he can be a game breaker has a lot of work to do and it starts by losing the attitude but then a lot of demons supporters just wish it to be.

Kicking 3 goals in the last quarter of round 1 this year and getting us over the line against the now premiership favourites to me showed that he's a game breaker but i compare this attitude to the " my girlfriends not great anyways" when you think she's going to leave you

• Like 3

14 hours ago, daisycutter said:

lol - if i was seeking the truth then social media would be the last place i would look

of course truth depends on whether it's your truth, his truth or the real truth 

just joshing,  gnf

Truth is subjective DC. It should be about facts and there are very few of them on this subject other than Jessie has yet to sign

11 hours ago, Pates said:

Being overseas it's probably easier for me to avoid this Hogan stuff, but seeing the Ox weigh into a discussion with Hogan I thought I'd throw in my two cents.

People are talking like this is an easy decision for Jess to make now, when his contract isn't up until the end of next year. This really sucks for us and for him because the idea of him signing a longer contract was to put this sort of thing off. The Ox makes it sound so simple, if he wants to go then we trade him this year. But what if at this stage he genuinely still doesn't know? A lot can change in a year.

Something I do agree with the Ox on is that if he were to leave it wouldn't be as much of a disaster as it might've been say 12 months ago. Our push up the ladder has been largely base on higher output from the midfield and an evenness across many players. The emergence of Watts as a productive forward and more goals from mids has meant his output didn't mean success or failure for the team. And with Weeds coming through and Hulett as well it won't be a dire emergency were he to leave.

The big test for Jesse will come once the CBA is finalised as this was something he pointed to as a reason for holding off, although it hasn't stopped a lot of a other players in the competition. I really didn't like West Coast coming out so boldly saying they were targeting him, are there any promising Victorian players or their list we can say the same thing about?

I'm probably alone on this one but i don't see how the CBA really affects players decisions that are/have the potential to be on contracts of 1 million or higher.  

How much is enough?

Is keeping the team together a priority?

Hawks have/had players taking pay cuts over the past couple of years, Jesse has/had a contract in front of him for potentially around the million per season but is supposedly holding off to see how the CBA plays out....so he can ask for more? At the same time he continues to miss easy shots on goal arguably bringing his price down. 

Never fear Freo will most likely blow the budget to finally land their big fish.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jackaub said:

He has yet to show me even a glimpse that he can be a game breaker has a lot of work to do and it starts by losing the attitude but then a lot of demons supporters just wish it to be.

Well you're obviously watching a different game. Honestly haven't seen him as a match winner? Jeez I've heard it all now. Sure he has had some lean times in front of goal, and his last month was pretty poor. But the bloke is only 21 and just finished his second season. The press are all fapping over Darcy Moore and he kicked 24 to give you some context.

Some of these comments are laughable. He might not turn out to be the best of all time like we hoped, but he will be an absolute terrific forward who will have a lot more good games than bad, so just think before you write this tripe about a bloke who's 21 with the weight of the afl world on his shoulders, but also the health issues of his old man.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, chook fowler said:

I don't think I'm the one who needs to settle petal.

You think?

Well I'm calm. Who needs to settle down? You're the one who seems to be getting "dizzy" from everything going around "so fast", but for what reason I'm not sure.

13 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

You think?

Well I'm calm. Who needs to settle down? You're the one who seems to be getting "dizzy" from everything going around "so fast", but for what reason I'm not sure.

Chook said in "circles".

It was clear sarcasm I thought.

• Like 2

I don't think a new coach of a club with our history can afford to have the "Hogan stay-go" circus run into the 2017 season.

If Hogan himself can not see this, and decide now, then it's pretty clear he's not got the MFC's interests at heart and which way he'll go at end of 2017...

Edited by PaulRB
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, PaulRB said:

I don't think a new coach of a club with our history can afford to all the Hogan stay-go circus run into the 2017 season.

If Hogan himself can not see this, and decide now, then it's pretty clear he's not got the MFC's interests at heart and which way he'll go at end of 2017...

I disagree, Jesse has a contract so he has the right to take his time making this decision, we can't and won't force him to do anything 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Abe said:

I disagree, Jesse has a contract so he has the right to take his time making this decision, we can't and won't force him to do anything 

...except play at Casey if his back remains good.

1 minute ago, Abe said:

Of course he has the right.

But if he has one iota of awareness he'll know that delaying his decision, exercising his "right" is damaging to the club and Goodwins ability to make a success of season 2017. 

Its part of the parcel that goes with being a highly paid "champion in the making". You need to take responsibility for the impact you have on the team you are playing for (and who's paying you)...

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Abe said:

and if we play him at casey all year we can't expect anything of worth on the trade scene can we?

Better develop a new forward line and cut our losses. We can't afford another Frawley half arsed scenario and another treading water season. If Hogan has any dignity he will play like Ablett, Dangerfield and Franklin did in their last season for their previous clubs. GIven Hogan's attitude, I seriously doubt he will give a 100%.

Edited by america de cali

In his interview last week Goodwin said he was confident Jesse would stay and was comfortable if it takes weeks, months or even the middle of next year for the contract to be done.  I'm sure Goodwin would love it to be done asap but there is no point putting pressure on Jesse to sign under the circumstances. 

We need to cool our jets and let everything take its course.  If it means the club being flexible on when Jesse starts his pre-season with the team so be it.  Even if it means he misses the start of the season to spend time with his family so be it. 

None of this is ideal, but football is just a game and we have a young man about to go thru a life shattering experience.  Compassion and patience is what our club needs to provide and I have no doubt it will.   The rest will take care of itself.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 10

1 minute ago, america de cali said:

Better develop a new forward line and cut our losses. We can't afford another Frawley half arsed scenario. If Hogan has any dignity he will play like Ablett, Dangerfield and Franklin in the their last season for their previous clubs. GIven Hogan's attitude, I seriously doubt he will give a 100%.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

Did you actually read the article?  His point is rather more complex than telling rape victims to grow up as the headline implies.  It's also dead right. 

Did you watch the video the article is based on? Complexity has nothing to do with it. His comments wete utterly disgraceful, not to mention patronising and demonstrating an alarming lack of knowledge on trauma and abuse.

3 hours ago, jackaub said:

You didn't watch the Richmond game in 2015? 

Although I believe the club would prefer this saga not to go into next year the reality is there is a strong chance he may have to play out his existing contract with us even if he decides he wants to go back to WA this year  

The club would be negligent in trading him this year if a suitable deal cannot be reached.  With Freo not having a 2017 first round draft pick available at this stage this is a real possibility. 

Im sure Freo and WCE will be offering up fringe players that would go for third round draft picks on the open market. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Abe said:

Granted, but the club also has a right to protect its investment/s and do what's within its own best interests: if Hogan wants to get to WC but can't this year, then he signs an extension otherwise he'll be wearing a Dockers guernsey in 2017. That is not unreasonable.

People keep repeating over and over that he's contracted for 2017, but all the fact does is highlight the severity if finalising his future.

Contract extensions are nothing new but with free agency these days they play an important part in list management.

What you will see now is teams trading contracted players with one year left to teams that will either do a sign-and-trade deal for the long term, or take on that salary for a year to fulfil their obligations and then free up space in a year with a strong free agency class. It's how it's done in the NBA and it's how it will be done here.

Anyone that wants the club to risk an unsure Hogan and keep him playing for Melbourne in 2017 without agreeing to an extension are shockingly misguided. In 2006 that might have been a reasonable train of thought, but it infuriates me when people say, 'HE'S CONTRACTED AND HE WILL PLAY IN 2017'. It's not that simple in 2016. We stand to lose so much if he leaves after 2017. It is completely unreasonable to argue that he is not "ready" to make a decision. I completely understand there are deeply personal issues here but I'm sorry, we all bang on about no player being bigger than the club and for us to just stop and be casual about it...we stand to lose a lot here.

He either signs an extension or the club trades him.

He either makes a decision or the club trades him.

I'm pretty confident this will be sorted by Christmas.

Edited by praha
  • Like 7

6 minutes ago, praha said:

Granted, but the club also has a right to protect its investment/s and do what's within its own best interests: if Hogan wants to get to WC but can't this year, then he signs an extension otherwise he'll be wearing a Dockers guernsey in 2017. That is not unreasonable.

People keep repeating over and over that he's contracted for 2017, but all the fact does is highlight the severity if finalising his future.

Contract extensions are nothing new but with free agency these days they play an important part in list management.

What you will see now is teams trading contracted players with one year left to teams that will either do a sign-and-trade deal for the long term, or take on that salary for a year to fulfil their obligations and then free up space in a year with a strong free agency class. It's how it's done in the NBA and it's how it will be done here.

Anyone that wants the club to risk an unsure Hogan and keep him playing for Melbourne in 2017 without agreeing to an extension are shockingly misguided. In 2006 that might have been a reasonable train of thought, but it infuriates me when people say, 'HE'S CONTRACTED AND HE WILL PLAY IN 2017'. It's not that simple in 2016. We stand to lose so much if he leaves after 2017. It is completely unreasonable to argue that he is not "ready" to make a decision. I completely understand there are deeply personal issues here but I'm sorry, we all bang on about no player being bigger than the club and for us to just stop and be casual about it...we stand to lose a lot here.

Totally agree. He either signs or we trade him this trade period to the best offer for the club, whether that team is based in Perth, Queensland or Timbuctoo. If there is any thought he's going then GET HIM OUT, players like that ruin clubs.

11 minutes ago, praha said:

Praha, I agree however a suitable deal will need to be reached if he decides to go this year. 

We do have a lot to lose and if a suitable cannot be reached to satisfy us this year we would be stupid to trade him for bugger all.  

We only have two clubs in WA and neither of them have first round picks in 2017 (Not 100% sure about WCE at this stage).