Who Picks Up Stringer ???

Cranky Franky

I am very worried that we have no natural match up for Stringer.  If he is not manned up he will chop us to pieces.  We stuffed up our defensive match ups against St Kilda & I'm worried we might do it again on Sunday.   Would have thought that Dunn was the ideal match for Stringer.  Dogs have Campbell & Redpath.  We can use Garland & Tom McD on them although both are a little undermanned.  Maybe they have a plan to use Oscar McD.

7 minutes ago, Cranky Franky said:

I am very worried that we have no natural match up for Stringer.  If he is not manned up he will chop us to pieces.  We stuffed up our defensive match ups against St Kilda & I'm worried we might do it again on Sunday.   Would have thought that Dunn was the ideal match for Stringer.  Dogs have Campbell & Redpath.  We can use Garland & Tom McD on them although both are a little undermanned.  Maybe they have a plan to use Oscar McD.

Dunn would be run off the park by qtr time against stringer. I would think tom will go to him, whether he should or not is debatable but he does have height, mobility, strength and endurance so if anyone we have can match him its Tom. Maybe Garland could do it if they want to have Tom focused more on intercept marks but id rather wagner/hunt taking those marks while the experienced guys are worrying about the opponents. However we all know that the team defence will mean stringer spends alot of time on his own.

• Like 1

We ain't the only Club with this worry. Jetts might have the toe but could be out marked. Garland and above height wise can't keep pace with him. 

Start Jetta and see how it pans out. The best deterrent is to stop the supply.

Win the contested ball, limit our turn overs especially behind the centre, hit up fwd targets not just bomb in and we go a fair way to winning it. 

• Like 3

My guess is McDonald. If this is the case, and Oscar doesn't come in we are probably a little bit undersized against Redpath and Campbell / Roughead. They will have the same problems though with our big forwards, so it really comes down to who wins in the middle, and who uses the ball better.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cards13 said:

We ain't the only Club with this worry. Jetts might have the toe but could be out marked. Garland and above height wise can't keep pace with him. 

Start Jetta and see how it pans out. The best deterrent is to stop the supply.

Win the contested ball, limit our turn overs especially behind the centre, hit up fwd targets not just bomb in and we go a fair way to winning it. 

Garland has the pace to go with him. in theory he can do the job but not sure if he has the mentality to focus and play good football now.

That's if we choose to man up on him or still try the zone defense.

michie. has the body and agility.

16 minutes ago, olisik said:

I think Wagner. 

I think he should be given a shot. Stringer isn't brilliant in the air and perhaps Wagner may come closer than anyone else at ground level. Having said that he is too good to be held completely in check and he will need a team effort just to minimise his output 

10 minutes ago, fndee said:

I think he should be given a shot. Stringer isn't brilliant in the air and perhaps Wagner may come closer than anyone else at ground level. Having said that he is too good to be held completely in check and he will need a team effort just to minimise his output 

He has been held completely its not impossible, i watched him against north and he was more a detriment to the team than anything else. Lock him down early and he will get frustrated, but let him off the hook early and there will be no stopping him

• Like 1

O'Mac due to his height and speed might get in at the expense of Michie. If Viney is a scratching then Salem replace him. Hunt or Wagner may end up on Stringer.The Doggies will have to stop Petracca he is getting better,good to have another beast in your side.The Dees to win at the MCG by 33 pts. 

What do you mean, picks him up?   I thought that was an outdated concept for dinosaurs like myself.

By the way I think it is a great idea but do the coaching staff / match committee?

• Like 1

Let's not smash the ball into out forward line only for the Dogs to waltz it back out and find Stringer as one of several free targets.

Basically, let's not do what we did against the Saints.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ENYAW said:

O'Mac due to his height and speed might get in at the expense of Michie. If Viney is a scratching then Salem replace him. Hunt or Wagner may end up on Stringer.The Doggies will have to stop Petracca he is getting better,good to have another beast in your side.The Dees to win at the MCG by 33 pts. 

I think if Viney is a late out, ANB will come in.

20 minutes ago, Watts Jurrah Dunn? said:

If only we'd recruited a ready-to-go, 6 ft 4 defender with exceptional speed when Frawley left.

I thought this was the sort of match up we got Frost for?

Yep exactly what I would have done!

• Like 1

Yes yes yes

Frost was recruited EXACTLY to match up on players like Stringer. Yet MFC wanted to develop as a forward (when we have 4-5 key forwards).

Frost needs to be in to match up with players like Riewoldt, Lynch, Daniher (all who have beaten Tom Mcdonald this year).