Richmond's fast-track list build

P-man

Never forget that it could always be worse. You could support the Tigers.

Football manager Dan Richardson has admitted on SEN that the latest rebuild was done in the knowledge that it likely wouldn't achieve the ultimate success, and was to appease the fans who they believed wouldn't cop a longer rebuild.

"We didn't think Richmond fans would accept an eight-year rebuild. We turned it around in four, which I think was a terrific achievement.

"We're paying a price in the sense that we knew that that mature-age talent would get us to a point but not take us to the next level, which was always going to be the hardest part.

"While it's been disappointing somewhat to not win a final, it's been a good achievement to play finals for three years in a row for the first time for 20 years for the club."

Simply amazing. Surely this would tip some supporters over the edge.

Article here: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-05-02/richmond-paying-the-price-for-recruiting-strategy-says-football-manager

• Like 9

I love that the article specifically says they didn't want to rebuild through the draft like Melbourne, because their supporters wouldn't support a long-term rebuild.

I'm so happy PJ and Roos don't think like this

• Like 5

Well... a team that's list management stratergy wasn't to give them the best chance of winning a premiership, sounds like everyone involved should be sacked, i'd be fuming if i contributed money to a club with that attitude and lack of respect for it's members. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffen said:

Well... a team that's list management stratergy wasn't to give them the best chance of winning a premiership, sounds like everyone involved should be sacked, i'd be fuming if i contributed money to a club with that attitude and lack of respect for it's members. 

I think you may have back in 2009 - 2013

Edited by old dee
  • Like 1

On 5/2/2016 at 3:18 PM, old dee said:

I think you may have back in 2009 - 2013

There were definitely moments of frustration in that period but to my knowledge, what was done was done poorly but with the right intentions, this Richmond situation is different, tanking to get draft picks to build a premiership list imo is much better than building a list that they don't think can get them any higher than 8th.

• Like 3

Just now, Peter Griffen said:

There were definitely moments of frustration in that period but to my knowledge, what was done was done poorly but with the right intentions, this Richmond situation is different, tanking to get draft picks to build a premiership list imo is much better than building a list that they don't think can get them any higher than 8th.

The result looks fairly similar.

Everyone is quick to stick the boots into Richmond, but their lack of higher success has nothing to do with their rebuild strategy.

Firstly, they haven't been able to land a big fish via Free Agency or trading, but they're not the only club that have failed in this pursuit (Freo, Melbourne). Compare that to the other clubs battling for a top 4 position in recent years like Hawthorn, North, Geelong, Swans and Collingwood. They've all landed more than 1 big fish in recent years.

Secondly, none of their high draft picks since Martin have developed into very good AFL players (B graders), let alone become A graders. Whether it's poor recruiting or list development, neither has anything to do with their rebuild strategy.

They've won 15, 12, 15 home and away games in the past 3 seasons, which is a far cry from what we've achieved in 10 years. 

I'm more concerned about where our latest rebuild is taking us than sticking the boots into RIchmond.

• Like 4

That's a stark admission and a pretty damming one at that. Not only to the members but the senior players on your list.

To come out and say the last few years were spent building just to play finals with no real belief to challenging is nothing more then a waste of everyone's time. I mean blame the compromised drafts all you want, but you can still get creative. Melbourne's Pick 2 &20 (i think it was) for Tyson & Pick 9 as an example.

I'd be filthy as a Richmond supporter. Sure we stuffed 2008 - 2013 up, but the intentions were to build a list to contend, it was just done poorly.

The fact Richmond have just been setting their sights to be middle of the road for an extended period to keep fans happy is an indictment on the club IMO.

Edited by AngryAtCasey
  • Like 7

The bandwagon was getting pretty full for the tigers. I think they start to slide backwards, and are heading towards a rebuild through the draft whether they like it or not.

Bonus points - 

* Richmond's best players are still the same best players as five years ago, so they haven't actually rebuilt squat.

* Richmond's draftees generally haven't been good enough or developed well enough to be demanding places in their 22 - it is not a case of good kids banging down the door and being held out by Petterd and Grigg!

* Generally they paid comparatively little at the trade table for their recycled players, and have had a good return on the relative investment. The recycling has not been where they failed.

I was initially going to describe all this as hilarious, a kind of nonsense hubris being punished in comedic style. But then I was looking at the season summaries and... wow... the joke about Richmond coming 9th over and over has actually papered over the much more disturbing reality. 

For Richmond, a finish of ninth marks 6 out of their top 8 seasons from 1986 to 2012.

I'm willing to acknowledge that Hardwick's effort of bringing Richmond back to some kind of competitive relevance is actually a huge achievement. It is a bit sad that it would appear to have imploded again so quickly. A team that should be 'peak of cycle' for the mix of age and experience, with a core of genuine top level players, simply isn't functioning.

I hope Melbourne learn the lessons from this. Most of all, that we can't expect to ride along on a handful of stars, sucked into the headline like Richmond, Carlton and by the looks of it Collingwood too.

Holy crapbiscuits, you've got to feel for Chris Yarran.

29 minutes ago, mo64 said:

Everyone is quick to stick the boots into Richmond, but their lack of higher success has nothing to do with their rebuild strategy.

Firstly, they haven't been able to land a big fish via Free Agency or trading, but they're not the only club that have failed in this pursuit (Freo, Melbourne). Compare that to the other clubs battling for a top 4 position in recent years like Hawthorn, North, Geelong, Swans and Collingwood. They've all landed more than 1 big fish in recent years.

Secondly, none of their high draft picks since Martin have developed into very good AFL players (B graders), let alone become A graders. Whether it's poor recruiting or list development, neither has anything to do with their rebuild strategy.

They've won 15, 12, 15 home and away games in the past 3 seasons, which is a far cry from what we've achieved in 10 years. 

I'm more concerned about where our latest rebuild is taking us than sticking the boots into RIchmond.

Their own footy manager stuck the boots into the club.  They didn't need opposition fans or the media to do that..  Regardless of the above his admission is quite shocking and will no doubt anger many of their fans.

Must be good for guys like Rance who have just signed long term contracts to hear the club itself doesn't actually think they can win a flag with this list, no doubt they were telling him the opposite last year when they were desperate for him to re-sign.

Imagine Roosy, Goody and PJ sitting down with Jesse Hogan and saying they were going to take short cuts that would make us very unlikely to win a flag because they didn't think the supporters would be willing to wait for a re-build

17 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Their own footy manager stuck the boots into the club.  They didn't need opposition fans or the media to do that..  Regardless of the above his admission is quite shocking and will no doubt anger many of their fans.

IF you read the article in full rather than the few sentences highlighted by the OP, you'll find that Richardson doesn't say that they made a mistake with their strategy. He outlines that without the mature aged recruits, they probably would have bottomed out, and had to go through the draft. He then explains that all the top end talent was going to GWS, so bottoming out wasn't an option.

The article is just a headline grab by the journo. He takes one sentence out of context, and away he goes.

Edited by mo64

15 minutes ago, mo64 said:

IF you read the article in full rather than the few sentences highlighted by the OP, you'll find that Richardson doesn't say that they made a mistake with their strategy. He outlines that without the mature aged recruits, they probably would have bottomed out, and had to go through the draft. He then explains that all the top end talent was going to GWS, so bottoming out wasn't an option.

The article is just a headline grab by the journo. He takes one sentence out of context, and away he goes.

Yes, gsw and gcs were getting most top end talent but wb, port and us have done ok from the draft in that time. 

Poor excuse from Richmond.  They took the wrong road with the fast track.  And it has come back to bite them.

Other teams have found gems in the middle/late draft picks.  Richmond have drafted poorly.  

They now have a very very average list. And ironically are bottoming out!  

To now say the members wouldn't accept a bottoming out earlier is gobsmackingly disrespectful to fans.  And rather stupid to announce that to the world.  I would be livid to have been conned like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mo64 said:

Firstly, they haven't been able to land a big fish via Free Agency or trading, but they're not the only club that have failed in this pursuit (Freo, Melbourne).

Bernie?

Edited by Seraph

5 hours ago, P-man said:

Never forget that it could always be worse. You could support the Tigers.

Football manager Dan Richardson has admitted on SEN that the latest rebuild was done in the knowledge that it likely wouldn't achieve the ultimate success, and was to appease the fans who they believed wouldn't cop a longer rebuild.

"We didn't think Richmond fans would accept an eight-year rebuild. We turned it around in four, which I think was a terrific achievement.

"We're paying a price in the sense that we knew that that mature-age talent would get us to a point but not take us to the next level, which was always going to be the hardest part.

"While it's been disappointing somewhat to not win a final, it's been a good achievement to play finals for three years in a row for the first time for 20 years for the club."

Simply amazing. Surely this would tip some supporters over the edge.

Article here: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-05-02/richmond-paying-the-price-for-recruiting-strategy-says-football-manager

A full rebuild should not take 8 years either...

• Like 3