POST GAME DISCUSSION

1 hour ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Yeah indeed, but the really strange thing is if you look at the long range odds for rnd 12 v Collingwood (which i checked this morning)....its exactly the same as it was for this round ...Coll 1.45 Melb 2.70?? Go figure!??

Which agency was that through mate??

18 hours ago, xiss said:

Our backline played the best I've seen this year and probably the difference between the teams.

Wagner! Sorry for skyting but I pumped his tyres here after the Kangas game and today he just continued with that except 20 + times instead of 6

Frost! I stand corrected, I didn't rate you. So good after half time.

I think the story is as much as Wagner's "pretty good" decision making, composure and reliable delivery .. as it is about the difference between that level of performance and the person he replaced. The back line of 4-5 years ago has almost been fully replaced. There were sections of the game you knew we were going to have to absorb it defensively, but I never felt really nervous about it.

I think Frost had some good moments - it's a great for the coaching staff to see what his talents are and where he might fit in, but I think he was very lucky we weren't punished on some of his fundamental errors, as we might have been in a closer game.

Whoever sorted out Hogan's game plan deserves recognition. Had a massive impact up the field and it didn't leave us reliant on some of our fringe talls.

Just wanted to add what a fantastic banner the cheer squad put up yesterday for the boys. That's one of the best i've seen i think.

Congrats to the Army. Inspiring stuff Gary & Co!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CgOKWp8UkAEnJKz.jpg

• Like 16

10 hours ago, jackaub said:

No body has mentioned Frosts goal off the interchange i will watch the replay tonight

The pies supporters around me were dumbstruck Fantastic opportunistic play.

I thought that was a welcome fluke.. But I think we've learned a bit about Frost. He always improves in the secind half and his last quarter on Sunday was excellent. He has superior aerobic capacity.  In all matches he has dropped easy marks early in the game, but improves, and I agree with another poster that he has something distinctive though if  can become anything like Blicavs it would be a bonus. At times he looks a poor kick--his set shot early in Q3 was ordinary, but both in the kick after the bell in Q3, and some kicks in Q4 he kicked beautifully.

i still wish he could do more in the ruck--it would help enormously. But I'm now much keener on him

1 hour ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Which agency was that through mate??

Flemington Sportsbet had us at $2.90 half an hour before the game--I thought this was ridiculous and acted accordingly. Football betting ( together with golf) is too much affected by the popularity of a club or golfer, and good opportunities do arise

• Like 3

3 hours ago, old dee said:

Today I listened to a bit of Robbo on SEN.

How he is the chief football writer at the HUN beggars belief.

Today the only word that comes to mind is "Idiot"

Nope, unfortunately it makes perfect sense at that rag. How he graduated from high school and managed to get a journalism degree is beyond me though.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

Just wanted to add what a fantastic banner the cheer squad put up yesterday for the boys. That's one of the best i've seen i think.

Kudos!!! It appears to be the end of the traditional banner so that is great to see.

Wasn't sure where to put this, but Robbo at his usual pathetic best. No handle on the game at all.

His answer to Collingwood's woes is to play more kids. They're already playing all their kids, you knucklehead!

He thinks they've gotta get guys who can kick it. It's not about who can kick, we've got blokes like McDonald, who cannot kick, but the systems around them support their skill level. Buckley has to implement systems for 2016, not 2015. That's their problem. Wake up Robbo, you drunk.

Edited by AdamFarr
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, AdamFarr said:

Wasn't sure where to put this, but Robbo at his usual pathetic best. No handle on the game at all.

His answer to Collingwood's woes is to play more kids. They're already playing all their kids, you knucklehead!

He thinks they've gotta get guys who can kick it. It's not about who can kick, we've got blokes like McDonald, who cannot kick, but the systems around them support their skill level. Buckley has to implement systems for 2016, not 2015. That's their problem. Wake up Robbo, you drunk.

In fairness to Robbo, he would have said this in a loud hectoring voice, talking over anyone who tried to get a word in edgeways, with all the authority of someone who has spent years playing and coaching at AFL level.

I think it's funny how he pulls this stuff with Brereton, Schwarz, Mooney, King, etc, delivering football lectures to them, and they almost never call him out on it.

2 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

Ha, now I see where Heritier got the idea for his beard

4 hours ago, P-man said:

I made a tasty little profit on the game. The odds were too ridiculous not to have a flutter.

Same here. Got $3.05 which i couldn't believe.

Based soley on our form the $3.00 you can get on Essendrug to beat collingwood this week is pretty good too.

my 3 fav things about this game  1 our full on attack play on  2 the new lads having a real go and 3 gawnies big jumper tug , gold 

There was something I'd previously become unfamiliar with in this game, I asked someone what it was and they told me it was kicks hitting targets.

But there were 3 absolute beauties in this game amongst the generally good standard. 

First the Brayshaw kick on his left to the advantage of Tyson who marked and kicked the goal. Just class, confidence and smarts. 

The absolute rocket that Dunn fired down the centre of the ground that Pedo clunked at half forward. 

And Jonsey's left footer to Brayshaw for his goal. Another bullet from someone not scared to use their non-preferred. 

I don't what the official stats are but it was one of the most pleasing games by foot I can remember. I still held my breath with every kick as I've become accustomed to, but there was far less swearing when I exhaled. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Deestroy All said:

There was something I'd previously become unfamiliar with in this game, I asked someone what it was and they told me it was kicks hitting targets.

But there were 3 absolute beauties in this game amongst the generally good standard. 

First the Brayshaw kick on his left to the advantage of Tyson who marked and kicked the goal. Just class, confidence and smarts. 

The absolute rocket that Dunn fired down the centre of the ground that Pedo clunked at half forward. 

And Jonsey's left footer to Brayshaw for his goal. Another bullet from someone not scared to use their non-preferred. 

I don't what the official stats are but it was one of the most pleasing games by foot I can remember. I still held my breath with every kick as I've become accustomed to, but there was far less swearing when I exhaled. 

I'd add the Harmes pass to Hogan.  It wasn't through traffic, but it was a perfect low hard pass that gave the defence no chance at all of stopping the mark. 

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Deestroy All said:

You forgot Frost's inboard pass to Oliver I think it was that led up to one of our goals in the 2nd term. It was a super dangerous kick but nailed it perfectly, reminded me of TJ in in his pomp.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Deestroy All said:

Harmes' wormburner to Hogan wasn't bad either.

6 minutes ago, Sylvia Saint said:

Harmes' wormburner to Hogan wasn't bad either.

Watts' first goal would have overheated a few grubs as well ...?☺

• Like 1

Amazing how much more an effective player Heritier is when he lowers his eyes and hits targets instead of blazing away.  Suddenly he goes from the most frustrating player in the team to a gun.

Edited by Petraccattack
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Deestroy All said:

Agreed, plus Harmes' bullet to Hogan.