Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Lloyd goes 'whack' - Melbourne a club in search of a heart

4 minutes ago, bush demon said:

We have had a total change of personnel - to replace previous personnel who were previously replaced -  so it ain't something in the players' heads, it never was. I would go further and say if Luke Beveridge was at Melbourne or Alistair Clarkson was at Melbourne the team would be in absolutely no better position. The 'groupthink' on Melbourne in Victorian football is that we are a failed club. You can't buy the jumpers in kmart, kids don't support them in primary school and snide comments abound in the workplace. pLayers that make a difference won't come to Melbourne, and players who could make a difference and are at Melbourne say, 'they will get back to you' when it comes to signing on for long-term contracts. it's a bit galling to see footscray come out of nowhere and zoom right to the top of the ladder while we trudge through Yarra park after another never-ending loss, or listening on the tranny to yet another interstate thrashing, knowing that next year and the year after will be no different. we are subject to forces greater than us, the comp. can't really hold this many vic. clubs so our holding position is in the lower reaches of the table. 

It is in the players heads...and yours

STAND UP & stop taking punches

Give a few back...

I don't like Lloyd but he is spot on. Those that whine about these articles and say they don't say anything new. Maybe they will when or if we actually did anything new.

We deserve every sensationalised whack we get until we actually stop being the soft bellied laughing stock that we are.  

All the talk needs to stop, we are well overdue for consistent application of actions and it needs to start now. 

Edited by big_red_fire_engine
  • Like 6

Just now, big_red_fire_engine said:

I don't like Lloyd but he is spot on. Those that [censored] about these articles and say they don't say anything new. Maybe they will when or if we actually did anything new.

We deserve every sensationalised whack we get until we actually stop being the soft bellied laughing stock that we are.  

All the talk needs to stop, we are well overdue for consistent application of actions and it needs to start now. 

These sort of articles would fire up any other team, I get the feeling if our players were to read them, they'd cry. 

17 hours ago, Diamond said:

This is just Melbourne bashing disguised as concern. He, Brereton and slobbo robbo. They just can't resist putting the boots in. It doesn't help anything. It perpetuates the myth that MFC are no good and will never be any good because the players have been mentally weak for fifty years. Make no mistake that's their aim because they are biased by their one eyed love for their chosen clubs. It's absolute bulldust.

Yeah, it is exactly that. Brereton does it more of a bullying style, just like he does to young forwards - basically shaming them in the guise of offering advice. The bloke is a loser. Lloyd is just less of a loser, but still a loser all the same. He just started offering his opinion early in the piece (about everything), and he clearly came across as the [censored] he is, so now he has slightly toned it down, but I am glad you see through the bullsh*t.

Edited by KingDingAling

1 minute ago, bush demon said:

it's only a flesh wound...

Never excuse the players Bush. 

The off field problems have been addressed. This is squarely on the players being mentally week and lazy

last week was a fcuking disgrace...

• Like 4

He is 100% correct and those who disagree have their heads in the sand.

Personally I want to see more outrage at our situation to force those on the field and those in charge to take their collective fingers out and give us effort week in week out. As Lloyd says they prepare 30 hours a week to play 2 hours where they will be judged.

How TF can they turn up like last week is beyond me (and most here). They are killing OUR club.

The sad record of two wins in a row (if you ignore the last round of 2015 and the first round of 2016) is an appalling indictment on the playing and coaching group. They are lucky there are any fans left.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Biffen said:

I don't generally read illiterates.

I congratulate him on being able to put words on paper.

I'm rather shocked because he can't even really speak properly.

Why should the intellectually disadvantaged be prohibited from journalism?

aka Slobbo.

There are many journalists and commentators out there who dislike Melbourne and appear to enjoy having a go at us when we're down (which, for the last 10 years, has been the majority of the time).

Lloyd is one of those people.

Nonetheless, his column today is accurate, pretty much in every way. He didn't mention what we're doing on the field but what he focuses on he gets right.

• Like 1

After a week of soul searching I have just read Sledgy's article and I agree 100% with what he has put together.

I am angrier than I have ever been at the club and expect the next 3 weeks to change that mindset... But that can only happen with the playing group actually making a stand and showing the world that they "give a fkuc"

I have even been as low this week, as to start to wonder if Jones is the right captain?!?! 

Last week's game was a bloody disgrace and better be the LAST time I cry tears of heartbreak caused by the club I love!

• Like 2

funny that he has a whack at a club most commentators regard as "insignificant" when so many "significant" clubs are having a disastrous start to the year like freo, richmond, collingwood and carlton. would have thought there were more relevant articles to write about those clubs if he had the guts, but it is just so much easier to whack melbourne.

of course, what he writes is pretty accurate but absolutely nothing new to the reading public, so what interest does he hope to garner with a fluff piece?

The positive is that whilst we are 'insignificant' at least we are not 'anonymous'.

Journos want to write about us as we are a 'story'. Compare it to north at the moment as a top four incumbent or Bulldogs before this current revival and honeymoon period - totally anonymous.

I would rather be pitied and ridiculed than ignored.

I'm a big believer in problem solving. Unless letting go of certain staff or players is part of the solution to the problem then I do not believe in recriminations and ranting.
Let's first look at the coaching staff. Roos, Goodwin, McCartney (George Stone before him) and Jade Rawlings have been around the traps a while. The issues that they confront have been around since 2008. They have made some progress on the Win/Loss front in previous years but the expectation of near enough is good enough seem to linger. 
I also believe that admin. (on that front, I mean PJ, Mahoney and the board) has barely put a foot wrong since they have arrived. This gives the playing group as well as the coaching group no where to hide. 
Cuddle time ended after the loss to Carlton last year. Roos and his staff do not need to go off the deep end and issue proclamations condemning players for non effort or how they won't play if they look at him sideways. Col Garland (one of the sacred cows at the MFC for years and the inspiration for my moniker) getting dropped might be a good first step. Others will need to follow him if the rot continues.

37 minutes ago, Little Goffy said:

It's not exactly breaking new ground or adding any insight. I guess he was told 'hey, we need an article related to Melbourne to run before the game on sunday'., and couldn't be bothered actually talking about any changes or the circumstances of the game or, y;know, anythingt hat would require looking stuff up.

Still got paid. So, I guess it is the journalistic equivalent of diving for a free and getting a goal out of it.

As Dees supporters we should appreciate this article as we seemingly still need this kind of attention to be bothered making an effort on game day.

Just now, Wiseblood said:

This.

Yeah, it's accurate, but it's nothing we don't know.  Lloyd has latched on to us this year and doesn't mind giving us a pop.

I think there would be a huge amount of people out there who read this article not knowing we have not won 2 game in a row in 5 years. 

Putrid Statistic

not everyone reads this forum

Lioyd has every right to write the piece

He knows how Bad Essendrug will be this year, for us to roll over to them so early in the season and Roos to say that "players were tired" gives a good example of just how absolutely stuffed yhis club is right now. 

Glad he said it...

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, KingDingAling said:

Yeah, it is exactly that. Brereton does it more of a bullying style, just like he does to young forwards - basically shaming them in the guise of offering advice. The bloke is a loser. Lloyd is just less of a loser, but still a loser all the same. He just started offering his opinion early in the piece (about everything), and he clearly came across as the [censored] he is, so now he has slightly toned it down, but I am glad you see through the bullsh*t.

So you're saying he's wrong?.... What about it do you disagree with?

2 minutes ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

I'm a big believer in problem solving. Unless letting go of certain staff or players is part of the solution to the problem then I do not believe in recriminations and ranting.
Let's first look at the coaching staff. Roos, Goodwin, McCartney (George Stone before him) and Jade Rawlings have been around the traps a while. The issues that they confront have been around since 2008. They have made some progress on the Win/Loss front in previous years but the expectation of near enough is good enough seem to linger. 
I also believe that admin. (on that front, I mean PJ, Mahoney and the board) has barely put a foot wrong since they have arrived. This gives the playing group as well as the coaching group no where to hide. 
Cuddle time ended after the loss to Carlton last year. Roos and his staff do not need to go off the deep end and issue proclamations condemning players for non effort or how they won't play if they look at him sideways. Col Garland (one of the sacred cows at the MFC for years and the inspiration for my moniker) getting dropped might be a good first step. Others will need to follow him if the rot continues.

A balanced observation.

Just now, Sir Why You Little said:

I think there would be a huge amount of people out there who read this article not knowing we have not won 2 game in a row in 5 years. 

Putrid Statistic

not everyone reads this forum

Lioyd has every right to write the piece

He knows how Bad Essendrug will be this year, for us to roll over to them so early in the season and Roos to say that "players were tired" gives a good example of just how absolutely stuffed yhis club is right now. 

Glad he said it...

Never said he wasn't.

I bet you loved it though.  A bit of extra negativity to kick off your morning big fella.  Glad you enjoyed it.

17 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

There are many journalists and commentators out there who dislike Melbourne and appear to enjoy having a go at us when we're down (which, for the last 10 years, has been the majority of the time).

Lloyd is one of those people.

Nonetheless, his column today is accurate, pretty much in every way. He didn't mention what we're doing on the field but what he focuses on he gets right.

Disagree with this. Have heard and read him many times giving us credit when we deserved it.

Hated him as a player, but he's one of the few I think has an opinion worth listening to in footy media.

42 minutes ago, bush demon said:

We have had a total change of personnel - to replace previous personnel who were previously replaced -  so it ain't something in the players' heads, it never was. I would go further and say if Luke Beveridge was at Melbourne or Alistair Clarkson was at Melbourne the team would be in absolutely no better position. The 'groupthink' on Melbourne in Victorian football is that we are a failed club. You can't buy the jumpers in kmart, kids don't support them in primary school and snide comments abound in the workplace. pLayers that make a difference won't come to Melbourne, and players who could make a difference and are at Melbourne say, 'they will get back to you' when it comes to signing on for long-term contracts. it's a bit galling to see footscray come out of nowhere and zoom right to the top of the ladder while we trudge through Yarra park after another never-ending loss, or listening on the tranny to yet another interstate thrashing, knowing that next year and the year after will be no different. we are subject to forces greater than us, the comp. can't really hold this many vic. clubs so our holding position is in the lower reaches of the table. 

You hit the nail on the head. And Lloyd's article just adds to that perception. It's BS.

1 hour ago, Diamond said:

This is just Melbourne bashing disguised as concern. He, Brereton and slobbo robbo. They just can't resist putting the boots in. It doesn't help anything. It perpetuates the myth that MFC are no good and will never be any good because the players have been mentally weak for fifty years. Make no mistake that's their aim because they are biased by their one eyed love for their chosen clubs. It's absolute bulldust.

Bull, our players and coaches are the ones that perpetuate the reality (it ain't no myth) of our mental frailties. 

• Like 2