Changes vs Essendon

jumbo returns

10 minutes ago, rpfc said:

Attn: MFC Selection Committee

Pick one of Frost or Pedersen - both are not required. Don't give a flying which one, just make sure they take their bloke away from Hogan.

Oscar. Was. Not. Ready.

OUT: O McDonald, Frost/Pedersen

IN: Dunn/Lumumba, Brayshaw

I agree. It's almost like their combined output equates to 75% production of 1 good player. Unfortunately, we need backup ruck support for Gawn and a 2nd key forward, and basically Frost and Pedersen have their names on the team sheet.

O. Mac makes way for Dunn, and probably Harmes for Brayshaw, though I think that Kent is overrrated.

If Lumumba comes in, it would be for very unlucky M. Jones.

• Like 2

Just now, Webber said:

And yet Matt Jones is almost NEVER beaten one on one. Even when he was apparently a turnover merchant last year, his one on one wins were a highlight. Who are you watching? 

Apparently?  There was nothing 'apparent' about it.  That was his go last year.

Full credit to him in that he seems to have improved in that area.  I won't get carried away with him yet, but he has certainly surprised me with his form.

24 minutes ago, Biffen said:

Oscar Mac is still a rabbit in the headlights.

Harmes was good I thought.

Although Matt Jones does the right things most of the time he is too easily beaten one on one.

Have to disagree on this one yesterday. Maybe I missed them but keen for examples as I thought he pretty much won or halved all the contests he had. Also moved onto Scully after quarter time and slowed him down.

10 minutes ago, Webber said:

And yet Matt Jones is almost NEVER beaten one on one. Even when he was apparently a turnover merchant last year, his one on one wins were a highlight. Who are you watching? 

He has the ability to turn a loose ball into a contest and a 50/50 at best.Brayshaw,Petraaca,Trengove

are better players.Jones is limited.

Depth only. 

I only listened for first 3 quarters   new we had lost at 3/4 time   went and had coffee with the Mother in Law     must have been good

In                         Dunn,  needed  in the backline          Brayshaw   he is best 22

Out                     Oscar Mac    (injured and not good enough yet)    Garland     never in my best 22   have not seen him play a great game though others have

BUT                  I am going next week   so want a strong backline,   if Brayshaw goes in who goes back to cover Garland   I have NFI    there you go

GO DEES   feels good but only 2 points   how can you win kicking one goal in two quarters

2 minutes ago, 640MD said:

I only listened for first 3 quarters   new we had lost at 3/4 time   went and had coffee with the Mother in Law     must have been good

In                         Dunn,  needed  in the backline          Brayshaw   he is best 22

Out                     Oscar Mac    (injured and not good enough yet)    Garland     never in my best 22   have not seen him play a great game though others have

BUT                  I am going next week   so want a strong backline,   if Brayshaw goes in who goes back to cover Garland   I have NFI    there you go

GO DEES   feels good but only 2 points   how can you win kicking one goal in two quarters

Garland did his job.

And we had around 27 Inside 50s in the 2nd and 3rd quarters but couldn't deliver into a flooded forward line, especially with a selfish forward (Pedersen) and a dumb forward (Frost/Gawn).

Plus our mids have little polish.

But we won, with all that, we won. Against a good team. From behind.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, 640MD said:

Think you should have a coffee with mother in law for rest of season.

To give up at three quarter time shows what type of supporter you are.

No further comment required

• Like 1

Frost would be the one player I would change. For whom precisely, I can't say.

Although I think we should win comfortably, if we take the game for granted, it could come back to bite us (or at least give a little chew) on the bum. We did it a couple of times to reasonable clubs during our horrible years.

5 minutes ago, rpfc said:

Garland did his job.

And we had around 27 Inside 50s in the 2nd and 3rd quarters but couldn't deliver into a flooded forward line, especially with a selfish forward (Pedersen) and a dumb forward (Frost/Gawn).

Plus our mids have little polish.

But we won, with all that, we won. Against a good team. From behind.

I think we will see Weideman sooner rather than later...I sure hope so.

The question will be who takes 2nd ruck duties...

5 hours ago, Nasher said:

Matt Jones on current form is cemented 22 - I don't think his name should have even appeared in this thread to be honest. 

The only players who need to watch over their shoulders at this stage are Harmes, Bugg, OMac and one of Frost/Pedersen in my opinion. 

I felt safe with the ball in his hands yesterday.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, nutbean said:

Disagree on one thing. Feedback - there may have been basic comments come back but the real feedback comes after they have done the match review. I was talking to an assistant at another club and the review of the game can take 3 to 4 times as long as the actual game as they dissect plays and setups with a fine tooth comb. When they review the game with the players they don't show them the entire game - they see edits to highlight good aspects and poor aspects highlighting what they should and shouldn't be doing. The real feedback comes after the review is done. The assistant mentioned that at first he was amazed at how much the coaches actually miss during the pressure cooker of the actual game. Any feedback immediately post game would be basic and broad.

I will disagree slightly  Roos and the coaches give the players half a dozen dot points  ie their role   they get immediate feedback on that aspect when they come off the ground   been told that by quite a few    my opinion on VDB   based on 1 tackle  usually one of his strong traits

Edited by Satyriconhome

2 hours ago, 640MD said:

Coffee with your mother in law? Whoa, respect!

4 hours ago, 640MD said:

Let me guess, you're not a member are you?

I think it was quite evident yesterday that our forward line was to congested, predominately for 3 quarters.

I'd remove Frost and stick with Pedo, they both have their Pro's and Con's but Pedo offers us more. He'll chime in with 1 or 2 goals, he can take a good grab, he can pinch hit in the ruck, and if need be like yesterday he can be swung into defence. He isn't as quick or agile as Frost but he doesn't look lost and makes it a contest.

OMac playing over Dunn surprised me, at the end of the day Dunn probably wasn't required with the lack of big targets in the GWS side.

For me I'd keep it simple, Dunn for OMac who will probably be on the sidelines with an ankle for a week or 2 and Brayshaw for Frost as another runner.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Miracle said:

Think you should have a coffee with mother in law for rest of season.

To give up at three quarter time shows what type of supporter you are.

No further comment required

Been doing this for more than 60 years, agreed no further comment required

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jumbo returns said:

4 minutes ago, 640MD said:

Been doing this for more than 60 years, agreed no further comment required

Of the past 60 years member for at least 30 for first 12 or so at school I don't know do I qualify as a supporter?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Curry & Beer said:

it's been nearly 12 years since we won a game by 100 points+

Lets go out and win by187 pts...can't think of a better team to take the mantle for that record!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ted Fidge said:

Next week is an opportunity to get some extra game time into Frost and OMac.

They need development and time on field, let's give them another chance to show what they've got (or not).

You obviously haven't been up to date with the latest goss?

Omac is out with an ankle..

13 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

You obviously haven't been up to date with the latest goss?

Omac is out with an ankle..

I had heard that but somehow it slipped my mind.

Just as well I'm not a selector.

But if we're playing Essatan, does it really matter? He can get some game time and experience into his good ankle.