Tom McDonald (and Oscar) SIGNS.

dazzledavey36

Just now, Django said:

When people are quoting dictionary meanings, it's time to leave the thread.

You're probably right Django, it's not covered by Godwins law, perhaps it should be.

Here we go again!  http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-06-10/tom-mcdonald-in-no-rush-to-resign-with-demons?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=RSS+feed%3A+AFL+Latest+News

Tom is quoted: 

"I just hope they don't see me in a different light because I haven't got a contract sorted yet. I'm not too worried about what others are saying about me on the outside," McDonald said.

"I hope the club rates me and thinks of me as a long-term player at the club, but that's to be done behind closed doors.

"I'm loving playing at Melbourne this year and I've got such great mates here. That (contract situation) can be worked out at a later date."

I don't know why he would doubt the club sees him as a 'long-term player at the club'.  The last report was he had been offered a contract out to 2020.

This sort of stuff is just fueling doubt by everyone, even tho Roos said recently he would be staggered if TMc didn't sign.

If TMc isn't prepared to sign, fine, but I wish he would shut up about it!

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2

At least he was honest about his own form and at what stage of development his brother is at.

But he's done little to defuse speculation about his future. If he wants to be part of a successful MFC, then re-sign now, and allow the list managers to pursue other targets.

• Like 1

Reading between the lines, Tom will be a Demon in 2017................... but like others, I'd just like him to sign now so we can all move on.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, picket fence said:

A  lot of anguish and teeth chattering over a player that really, aint that good!

Couldnt give a continental if he walked! Next!!

Another incredibly well considered post PF. For the life of me, I can't understand why you're not the list manager. Madness.

Edited by Return to Glory
  • Like 9

I'll wear that sarcasm Deeoldfart & what I will say & what I have learnt that anyone who says they have an impeccable source on any topic (i.e) Jessie hogan re-signing have absolutely no idea.  My source was such &  I do believe he will sign but unless you are the player, player manager or our football manager....no-one has any idea.  Lesson learnt !!

• Like 1

On 6/9/2016 at 9:08 AM, Copuchas said:

not really because Healy didn't.  But the clear inference was that McDonald has been getting bad advice from his manager but things are well down the path to being put back on track and will culminate in a signature shortly...

On 6/9/2016 at 9:26 AM, jnrmac said:

Maybe he deals with Pickering and is waiting for the legal case to settle. You can't make assumptions about his management. That is simply overreach.

On 6/9/2016 at 10:16 AM, Copuchas said:

There's no assumption, not even an assertion.  I was relating directly comments made by Healy on the Fox Footy round table for the benefit of those who may not have access.  Go and listen if you wish / have a subscription.  The arrogance of some on here is truly breathtaking.....

Wow. I think you must have failed english. Healy said something, you inferred from that. ANd then you have audacity to accuse others of beng breathtakingly arrogant....?

Stop being a goose mate.

13 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

That would be English would it?   The site by it's very nature involves speculation, interpretation and inference.   I think most concur that wild speculation totally divorced from facts is not helpful nor conducive to the site achieving it's aims of insightful discussion and analysis of all facets of the MFC.  

My post referenced a verbatim quote from a respected media personality with close historic and ongoing linkages to the MFC on a media forum not accessible to all Demonlanders.  The possible interpretations of the Healy quote are limited in scope.  In your posts, you regularly diminish the contributions of others.  The inference being you have a monopoly on intelligent analysis.  That's clearly arrogant in nature and rather unfortunate.

Wow. I think you must have failed english. Healy said something, you inferred from that. ANd then you have audacity to accuse others of beng breathtakingly arrogant....?

Stop being a goose mate.

18 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Here we go again!  http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-06-10/tom-mcdonald-in-no-rush-to-resign-with-demons?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=RSS+feed%3A+AFL+Latest+News

Tom is quoted: 

"I just hope they don't see me in a different light because I haven't got a contract sorted yet. I'm not too worried about what others are saying about me on the outside," McDonald said.

"I hope the club rates me and thinks of me as a long-term player at the club, but that's to be done behind closed doors.

"I'm loving playing at Melbourne this year and I've got such great mates here. That (contract situation) can be worked out at a later date."

I don't know why he would doubt the club sees him as a 'long-term player at the club'.  The last report was he had been offered a contract out to 2020.

This sort of stuff is just fueling doubt by everyone, even tho Roos said recently he would be staggered if TMc didn't sign.

If TMc isn't prepared to sign, fine, but I wish he would shut up about it!

The inference is clearly that the offer on the table implies they don't rate him, and don't see him as a long-term player at the club.

He's probably just giving them a whack in the media, after they keep giving him one.

• Like 1

Maybe the offer is below what he thinks he is worth and he is trying to play a better 2nd half of the year to boost his contract offer... That might make sense...

He can start improvement anytime he wishes :rolleyes:

• Like 3

He's handling this as poorly as Frawley did in his final year. Fortunately there's no, "If Roosy signs on for another year, I'll sign on!" quote yet, but it's heading that way.

I agree with the poster that said the club have probably offered him a contract reflective of his mediocre output so far this year, so he wants to get his numbers up to justify asking for more money.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ENYAW said:

How about supporters tell T.Mac since you are not in a hurry to re-sign that we are in no hurry to watch the Demons play again !!!! just a thought

Yeah your on your own there mate..

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, P-man said:

Maybe he really is worth $700K? :) 

He's been outstanding in this first half. His best footy is elite.

Just the one brain fade, but otherwise a very good first half.

2 hours ago, P-man said:

Maybe he really is worth $700K? :) 

He's been outstanding in this first half. His best footy is elite.

I've got a mate who was an accountant for a few Hawks guys. Gibson was on about 400K, that's how they win flags everyone is willing to sacrifice. We need our players to do the same to have any chance.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Is Dom Is Good said:

I've got a mate who was an accountant for a few Hawks guys. Gibson was on about 400K, that's how they win flags everyone is willing to sacrifice. We need our players to do the same to have any chance.

Salary caps going up and we have a lot of young players on minimum contracts. I hope Tom settles for a fair deal, which will be far more than 400k and front loaded but maybe not as much as he (or his manager wants). 

Good player with limitations. Can be great if he has super belief in what he does well and an understand of what he doesn't. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DeeSpencer said:

Salary caps going up and we have a lot of young players on minimum contracts. I hope Tom settles for a fair deal, which will be far more than 400k and front loaded but maybe not as much as he (or his manager wants). 

Good player with limitations. Can be great if he has super belief in what he does well and an understand of what he doesn't. 

Yeah I understand the total payments will be increasing but what I wanted to point out is a guy like Gibson, who I think is a better defender than McDonald took a lot less than he could've got to be a part of a successful side.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Is Dom Is Good said:

'Was' after that post.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Is Dom Is Good said:

Yeah I understand the total payments will be increasing but what I wanted to point out is a guy like Gibson, who I think is a better defender than McDonald took a lot less than he could've got to be a part of a successful side.

Yep, just this might be McDonald's career contract, his big pay day. So he probably doesn't have to sacrifice as much as Gibson in the new few years as long as it's reasonable. A perfect example for a front ended contract. If he has a good financial adviser he could make more from investing a big front ended deal than earning more money over a longer time.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Yep, just this might be McDonald's career contract, his big pay day. So he probably doesn't have to sacrifice as much as Gibson in the new few years as long as it's reasonable. A perfect example for a front ended contract. If he has a good financial adviser he could make more from investing a big front ended deal than earning more money over a longer time.

As a financial advisor I agree with this statement, 700K today is worth more than 700K in 5 years!