Saturday Talking Point: Game Day 27/2/16

Whispering_Jack

Dispatch from the ground for Pineapple Dee.

Salem was pushing up from half-back to our forward-half contests early but otherwise holding back - after the quarter break especially so; in an old school sweeper role to stem the circa 98'-alike Power kicking cheap goals over the top. Seemed to be coasting a bit today but lost track of him after half time.

Main difference after the the main break was Gawn hitting to advantage (and the decent half-time cheque handed to the umps). All else flowed from that.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Watching the replay on Fox Footy now.

Dazzle man, I would be very interested in your opinion of Oliver, he reminds me a lot of Greg Williams with the way he shimmies through a pack and fires of a handball to advantage! Thoughts?? High praise, but guys like this that move instinctively and give handball to correct options can cut teams to ribbons!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, McQueen said:

Toump played alright.

This could be his year.

yea sure just one more good preseason with col

Check out Hinkley's presser.

Rather than blaming the free kick count or anything else he says that we were just harder at the footy and Port couldn't match us.

Smiles..

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

After speaking to a lot of the players last week, I expected us to be competitive after a slow start, same as intraclub, blow the cobwebs out and settle into gsme style   if they stuck to it expected them to win   some of the comments in the early parts of the thread were pathetic  supporters?   and Matt Jones say hi

You said a win wasn't important...

19 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Dazzle man, I would be very interested in your opinion of Oliver, he reminds me a lot of Greg Williams with the way he shimmies through a pack and fires of a handball to advantage! Thoughts?? High praise, but guys like this that move instinctively and give handball to correct options can cut teams to ribbons!

I missed the game, but if Ollie is like you say then that will be a boon to our midfield. It is a great frustration to see many of our regular midfielders all too often get first hands on the ball and don't know WTF to do with it.

Edited by america de cali

10 minutes ago, america de cali said:

I missed the game, but if Ollie is like you say then that will be a boon to our midfield. It is a great frustration to see many of our regular midfielders all too often get first hands on the ball and don't know WTF to do with it.

............... team Roosy ................

39 minutes ago, picket fence said:

he reminded me of the toump, picket

juz joshin

1 hour ago, Clint Bizkit said:

The comments early in the thread reflected how Melbourne were playing.

They mostly reflected the speed with which some supporters start cutting their wrists.

• Like 4

Well here I sit reflecting in the glory of a winning side.

To Mr. Leg, the Reverend and a number of others did I not tell you we would win today?

I Said we would win  by 4 goals and it was 3 with one leg in the air.

oh ye of little faith I hope you take more notice in future.

The  gathering at Luna Park tomorrow should be a happy one.

now for the Dogs next weekend.

• Like 11

Just got my computer back from the virus clinic. Also only saw the last half. iMPRESSIONS -

Garlett some great tackles and still has that magnificent speed.

Kent showed a bit .

Vanders my choice for a breakout , brokeout.

Jack Viney FMD he is a unit.

Gawn has found a tank.

Hogan will [censored] over a lot of defenders.

Like the look of WaGNER

First impression of Kennedy is that he looks a player. And a smart one.

Yes and young Oliver - tough little bastard.

• Like 1

Was at a meeting in Nagoya but look forward to watching the replay tonight.
From the shorts I saw on the AFL website, it looks as though ball movement has improved (as was the goal of the preseason).

Just now, Colin B. Flaubert said:

From the shorts I saw on the AFL website, it looks as though ball movement has improved (as was the goal of the preseason).

You'll enjoy the replay Colin.

While we still made a few mistakes along the way, the ball movement was terrific to see.  When it works it looks fantastic.  The pressure our forwards created also helped as well.  The third quarter was a great example of how well we can play when that ball movement clicks.

23 minutes ago, chook fowler said:

It seems our main deficiency now may be tall defenders. Frost has to play down back - can't see his value as a forward/ruck without a lot more development

Easy, play Hogan down back at up until he signs a new contract extension.

• Like 1

Didn't think we really played well, or moved the ball forward well..... We simply won/dominated because we won the contested ball for large periods of the day..... And I couldn't be happier! Tough, ruthless aggressive footy. So many individuals were good. Add Jones, Vince, Petracca, Lumumba, Trengrove, Brayshaw, Dawes (?????) to competition for spots and cut 4 from today's performance down to 22 and it's genuinely tight for spots. Exciting

oh yeh, Gawn is All Australian if he gets through he year

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

Easy come, easy gyoza

Edited by chook fowler