Training - Monday 18th January, 2016

Caligula's Cohort!

Burgo's efforts are commendable and the articles and interviews he does are a blend of something for everyone.

If you tune out after a sentence or two then you're missing out on some interesting footy news and added nuances about the FD and players and extra rubbish about musicians and [censored] like that.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

My new job is really good, for a job of course, some of the places I have worked didn't give it much competition......get to training now and again, trying for at least once a fortnight, if not more

Choke, watching Hogan train, when he is not having a light day, is frightening, he is a big man now, but his running has not been affected at all, he has put on about another 3 or 4kg, think they want him playing at around 98-100kg, a lot of the players look really strong now compared to past years, there are some serious builds, Kent is another one, he is just solid....and of course the transformation of Hunt, even Matt Jones looks like he has actually toned his sinew

Gee, is good to have you back. Not just for your excellent first-hand accounts, but who else could coin a phrase like "he has actually toned his sinew" and get away with it?

• Like 7

1 hour ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Gee, is good to have you back. Not just for your excellent first-hand accounts, but who else could coin a phrase like "he has actually toned his sinew" and get away with it?

If you take your love affair with him to the next level then you can have him coin phrases like that, just for you, any time you want!  Perfect!

:roos:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

My new job is really good, for a job of course, some of the places I have worked didn't give it much competition......get to training now and again, trying for at least once a fortnight, if not more

Choke, watching Hogan train, when he is not having a light day, is frightening, he is a big man now, but his running has not been affected at all, he has put on about another 3 or 4kg, think they want him playing at around 98-100kg, a lot of the players look really strong now compared to past years, there are some serious builds, Kent is another one, he is just solid....and of course the transformation of Hunt, even Matt Jones looks like he has actually toned his sinew

It is very difficult for a big guy to add bulk while maintaining running ability.

Hogan at 100kg would be scary. Makes me think of Lockett. Defenders used to [censored] themselves (rightly so) at the sound of his footsteps. I think Hogan has enough mongrel in to become this sort of figure.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

It is very difficult for a big guy to add bulk while maintaining running ability.

Hogan at 100kg would be scary. Makes me think of Lockett. Defenders used to [censored] themselves (rightly so) at the sound of his footsteps. I think Hogan has enough mongrel in to become this sort of figure.

being taught by the brothers, bbo, i'm sure your ears have been finely tuned to the sound of approaching footsteps

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

Exciting times, really hoping he can use this new found bulk to stick an effective tackle without giving away a free kick.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Who is Alex Rance.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Remember the ump who found himself in the path of a Lockett Lead?  Drop flat and pray as Tony passed overhead  :)

15 minutes ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

Remember the ump who found himself in the path of a Lockett Lead?  Drop flat and pray as Tony passed overhead  :)

It is a lesson in how much the game has changed since Lockett retired in 1999. The stay at home forward has ceased to exist and the world has got still bigger. Plugger is 191cm (and a whopping 108kgs) the same height as Col Garland and Jack Darling.

I'm sure the greatest goal kicker in the history of the game would still get a game today but his role would certainly have changed

29 minutes ago, fndee said:

It is a lesson in how much the game has changed since Lockett retired in 1999. The stay at home forward has ceased to exist and the world has got still bigger. Plugger is 191cm (and a whopping 108kgs) the same height as Col Garland and Jack Darling.

I'm sure the greatest goal kicker in the history of the game would still get a game today but his role would certainly have changed

I look at it as an example of how umpiring has changed.  Back then the ump saw the ball coming, figured out that he was in the line of fire and got out of the way.   These days the ump would try to mark the ball and Plugger would be suspended for not going around. 

• Like 1

On 21 January 2016 at 11:45 PM, RalphiusMaximus said:

I look at it as an example of how umpiring has changed.  Back then the ump saw the ball coming, figured out that he was in the line of fire and got out of the way.   These days the ump would try to mark the ball and Plugger would be suspended for not going around. 

Comparing Lockett's physique to players like Garland or Darling suggests you never saw him play.  He was a man mountain and also had very good early speed.  A freak who would have dominated in any era.

• Like 2

Plugger had a chest that made grown men cry in fear, as well as a set of hands and set shot at goal that was the envy of all. I saw him kick 16 (?) one day and could not believe that a forward would dominate so totally. Mind you, there was Dunstall, Ablett and even Modra around that era as well

21 hours ago, ProDee said:

Comparing Lockett's physique to players like Garland or Darling suggests you never saw him play.  He was a man mountain and also had very good early speed.  A freak who would have dominated in any era.

I don't think he was comparing their physiques but rather stating the fact that Lockett's about the same height as those two.

Nobody really doubts Lockett's attributes. After all, he and Jason Dunstall won Brownlow Medals and kicked plenty of tons.

The way the game's changed, key forwards these days need to be taller than Lockett's 191cm but Plugger would still be a great footballer today because of his strength and skills.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Great Pretender said:

I don't think he was comparing their physiques but rather stating the fact that Lockett's about the same height as those two.

Nobody really doubts Lockett's attributes. After all, he and Jason Dunstall won Brownlow Medals and kicked plenty of tons.

The way the game's changed, key forwards these days need to be taller than Lockett's 191cm but Plugger would still be a great footballer today because of his strength and skills.

Are you awarding Dunstall a Brownlow TGP?