Rate our Trade Period

ucanchoose

Rate our draft period  

299 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

C for me you trade future picks for A graders, in saying that maybe Roos better equipped to pick the good kids, I hate draft picks prefer players C for sure.

Shawshank Redemption. Howe acted selfishly and we looked massively short changed. But Mahoney had other ideas and arrangements in play. That we now have picks 3, 7, Melksham, Kennedy and Bugg (all clearly needs-based targets) with the loss of just Howe and Toumpas shows that the club has executed this trade period perfectly and with much needed finesse and agility.

A+.

And, despite it not being obvious for much of the trade period, we were actually super active this year.

• Like 3

FMD we lost another first round pick for next year also

we also lost a second round pick this year

Can't believe how many seem to not realise this

glass half empty. The pick we lose next year we cant use this year and yes we lost a second rounder but gained another inside top ten. As for everything gained they should help us to improve THIS year and thats what it is all about for me C and B. Next year. Improvement. Creating belief and a more successful culture. I'm not sure you understand the bit about us not being a 'destination' club. You are not the sharpest tool in the box are you?

Edited by pinkshark

B+ for me. Ever since Peter Jackson got to Melbourne the culture has changed completely from one where our worst nightmares were played out in font of everyone, to everything being done quietly behind the scenes without any froth and bubble.

Unlike many posters, I thought Toumpas and Howe were/could be good footballers. Half way through the trade period I was stuck in a neutral position - of not being inspired or disappointed about whether our trading them out had resulted in any real list improvement. But having seen the outcome of Melksham, Kennedy, Bugg, and 2 draft picks inside the top 10, I find it hard to beleive that it is MFC who have orchestrated this. In planning and development on and off the filed, we have been a basket case for so long, a B+ result for us is like an A++ for the top clubs.

I can't give an A because we do still need a pure, skillful outside runner and another key forward. However, I reckon one of these will emerge this year through development.

• Like 2

Trade Period = A. Not for the fact of the players and picks that we have managed to get but by the attitude in which we have got them.

Can't say i can remember a trade period where we got on the front foot and planted a flag.

Here's my prediction for the next few years.

2015 - I thought 6-8 wins. we got 7. Should have won 9 but you gotta lose some to win some.

2016 - i'm thinking 9-11 wins to set us up for a massive trade period next year to bring in some top end talent to add some polish. May sneak in or just miss out on finals . Ladder 8th - 11th. Crowds back up, membership up, the love is back. Hogan signs for another 5.

2017 - Lock for finals. 1st year of Goodwin's reign. Close final win / loss first week. Ladder 5th - 8th. Massive off field signing to catapault us on and off field.

2018 - Top 4 smokey. Ladder 3rd - 6th. Will win first final. Lose in heartbreaker in second week.. The premiership clock is at 10 PM. Our window opens now. A 2007 Hawthorn type year here. Goodwin extends by three years after 2018.

2019 - The years of buildup and patience now start to show. A top 4 lock. Ladder -1st - 4th. Goodwin's 3rd year playing attacking exciting football. haven't had this feeling since the days of "Run and Carry." Will make prelim. Injuries get us at the end of the season and we just couldn't sustain it.

2020 - It's 12 o'clock on the premiership clock. Our core that came through in 2013/14/15/16 are in their prime. Top 2 finish guranteed with the competition having us as favourites. It's an Essendon 2000 type of year. We just want it more than anyone else. This is Goodwin's team now. membership at 54,000. The siren sounds. The drought is over. A 6 goal win. Let the party of a lifetime start. We won this for Jonsey and the warriors who kept the flame burning through the dark times. We can all die happy now.

2021 - Do you think we would stop at just the one? Top 2 lock again. fly through to the Grand Final where once again our class and experience are just too good in a scrappy game. A 5 goal win. It's back to back . Goodwin doesn't say it, the players don't say it but we are all thinking it? 3-peat?

2022 - ?

Edited by 13thFlagIsComing
  • Like 5

Look at the outs from our delistings retirements and trading and what we replace them witk

Out

Cross

Jamar

Howe

Toumpas

Fitzpatrick

Bail

McKenzie

Riley

Rd 1 pick 2017

In

MilkShake

Bugg

Kennedy

Vanderburg

Pick 3

Pick 7

Pick 46

Pick 50

I rate that a B, would have been an A if we could have kept next years pick.

• Like 2

We didn't get an A grade player which we were all hoping for at the start of the trade period but getting the two picks in the top 10 made up for it.

We better not finish lower on the ladder next year otherwise giving up our future pick will be very disappointing.

We have some players in big money coming out of contract at the end of 2016. It's debatable whether any of them are best 22.

The club has formed the view that it is a strategic imperative that we see some serious improvements and aim for the finals in 2016. On that basis, we have recruited for needs and front loaded our draft. At least we have a strategy and we are boldly trying to implement it. For mine, we cannot bring enough midfielders into the joint, so our additions are welcomed. Yes, no a graders but a series of competitive mids is about all we could hope for.

• Like 1

If you hate draft picks, why are you upset that we traded away next year's first rounder? We have less picks next year, so you should be rejoicing!

I was hoping to trade next years first rounder for Prestia draft picks are overrated what would you prefer picks or Trealor ?

People have talked about this year's draft being weak after about pick 10, so to get 3 + 7 is a big win imo. Despite 2016 being a strong draft and trading or 1st pick, I think we will aim for either FAs or trade players next year. For once I believe we have adults running or club. Well done Taylor, Roos, Goodwin, TViney et al

• Like 2

B for me. Next year's draft is supposed to be a bumper crop, and our list tells us we are a bottom 10 club so our first rounder has some currency attached to it.

Aside from that the Demons trading was aggressive, well targeted and thought out. Howe and Toumpas are replaceable, regardless of their talent.

Edited by Adzman

The aim of the current football department in trading seems to be all about net gain. They aren't too concerned with paying overs, or getting unders as long as at the end they end up in the position they wan't to be by the end of the period which they have. I like it. Lets hope next season we finally snare a free agent to offset that lack of first round pick.

• Like 2

I like how we are trading for players and picks now to fast track moving up the ladder. I like it. The Dees have built a relationship with GC and GWS for future trading. Will help with recruiting Prestia Next season.

• Like 2

I love the way that Demonland sentiment ebbs and flows as it suits the individuals involved. First, public concensus was that we needed a big fish, and that Roos / Taylor / Mahoney were the men to get the job done. Then, people got over that idea and were happy to bolster the list with a solid group of experienced players. That didn't really happen so people started to think that it might be good idea to give ourselves a strong hand in the 2016 draft which is supposed to be comparatively strong. That didn't happen either so suddenly we are back to taking a punt on kids in a weak draft (hello 2003!) being the best idea ever.

I personally think that for a team in our position to trade out a future draft pick is just plain dumb. Firstly, we have no idea of its true value, but it may very well be top four if things go poorly next year. Best case scenario it is probably about pick eight if we get to ten wins. Secondly, we limit our ability to land the big fish that we hope to attract if we become a "destination" club.

Ultimately we finished 2015 with a list that was comfortably in the bottom 6. Nothing about our trade period changes that situation one iota. Melksham and Bugg will probably match the contributions of Cross and Howe. Kennedy is a fringe player at this point in his career. Hopefully he doesn't become another Michie / Newton / Riley disappointment. It's all pretty underwhelming, but I accept that the recruiting staff have a tough time bringing quality players to the club at present because our on field performances are so dismal.

Given the above, I don't see the trade period as a win, and maybe a break even at best. Rating to this point = C-

• Like 3

glass half empty. The pick we lose next year we cant use this year and yes we lost a second rounder but gained another inside top ten. As for everything gained they should help us to improve THIS year and thats what it is all about for me C and B. Next year. Improvement. Creating belief and a more successful culture. I'm not sure you understand the bit about us not being a 'destination' club. You are not the sharpest tool in the box are you?

hah! You're the one who can't understand the basic premise of what has happened. It's actually quite simple but you and many other dullards here continue to talk up something that has not actually happened

OUT: Howe, Toumpas, Fitzpatrick

OUT: 6, 25, 64 and 2016RD1 (pick 8-10ish)

IN: Melksham, Kennedy, Bugg

IN: 3, 7, 50, 94

as you can see we have SWAPPED two first round picks for better versions of themselves. The fact one of them is next year has NOTHING to do with it. That's like taking some of your pay from next month and spending and acting like it doesn't count even though your next pay cheque will obviously be lighter. VERY SIMPLE. We haven't gained any new picks. In fact, we have lost a second round through this transfer of players.

I am not even being negative, I think we've done well.

but go ahead and keep spruiking the magical 2 first round picks we apparently conjured from nowhere because GC just felt like giving us a gift

moron

• Like 1