• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - CLAYTON OLIVER

Freddy Fuschia

5 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

A very sweet handball, but the Salem kick is just as good if not better. 

Although next step for Clarry is probably to hold the ball in a bit more and get the exit out the front of the stoppage where Vince and Viney are or even sneak a tight handball to Jetta and run it out the open side. But that's nit picking. 

A bit more work on his left hand handball should be part of his development as well. I'm sure he's seeing both sides of the stoppage and has the vision. A good left will see him able to really open up the field.

Even his right hand I think he holds the ball up and punches it a bit much. I think he can smooth it out a bit and make sure he's hitting team mates spot on. 

I find it exciting knowing that Oliver has a lot of traits that are really hard to teach - hardness, vision, agility, presence and still lots to work on with his body and skills (which are at a solid baseline as well, it's not like he's a mile off). 

I'm amazed that anyone could possibly be critical of that piece of play. Are you really suggesting that when under pressure from three surrounding opponents he should have noticed the two teammates directly behind him? Vision is a wonderful thing for a football player, but eyes in the back of the head?

Then there was Jetta, who would most likely have been pole-axed as soon as (or very soon after) he received a handpass, directly in front of goals no less (remind me again how many goals we've coughed up by taking the centering option in defensive 50). That's not to mention that Jetta is not one of the preferred distribution options coming out of defensive 50, guess who is.

And finally his technique was no good? I'd be considering it more of an improvisation personally. Highly unlikely he was thinking of each muscle movement under that pressure situation. Or were you referring to his technique in general? If so, I'm happy to back him in a similar situation over 99% of our team. History shows there are certain players that go beyond technique. They have a skill with ball in hand that makes other great players look second rate. He's one of them going by what we've seen. He's young, he'll make mistakes and he'll continue to develop over the next few years. Recent history should also tell you that we've been handballing two metres to the nearest player for the last 5 years, regardless of how much pressure said player is under. We have found a player who takes a good option, not simply the first.

After all that, I think he summed it up spot on and took the right option, and executed perfectly. As did Salem, who may have had the benefit of Vince pointing Jones out to him. I'm excited about these two players in particular and there are others.

I can't get the replay that I was after so I can't tell you at what time, but check out his tackle on Steven in the last quarter also. He was stalking two Saints on a fast break. Rather than commit early and provide them with a further overlap, he cruised - waiting for support to arrive. Once it was obvious where the ball was going he pounced and took down one of the better midfielders going around.

He's a rare talent DS, I think you should get on-board and enjoy the ride.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Jesse Christ said:

What's classier though?  That hand pass or that Salem kick?  Jones must be pinching himself.  Stuck by all these years and we're finally coming up roses! 

Agreed. Can't wait to see what Petracca can offer as well.

Edited by FireInTheBelly
Sandshoe blowout
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

A very sweet handball, but the Salem kick is just as good if not better. 

Although next step for Clarry is probably to hold the ball in a bit more and get the exit out the front of the stoppage where Vince and Viney are or even sneak a tight handball to Jetta and run it out the open side. But that's nit picking. 

Couldn't disagree more. My main knock on Oliver from his pre-draft highlights package was that in the same situation, he'd shrug off smaller/lighter opponent at TAC Cup level, before disposing of the ball. I thought he might get caught out at AFL level with bigger bodies and less time.

His awareness of the situation (time, space and teammates) was incredibly impressive. He's the antithesis of Toumpas, who'd freeze in the same situation. 

Vince was equally impressive. Got the ball to Oliver, pointed out Jones as an option for Salem, and then ran on as an option for Jones. That's leadership.

Edited by mo64
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Thank you.

I just love how at all times Oliver was on the move, it was just so instinctive.

Watch after he has handpassed to Salem - you can see that he gets on his bike again... he just loves being involved...

6 hours ago, Jesse Christ said:

What's classier though?  That hand pass or that Salem kick?  Jones must be pinching himself.  Stuck by all these years and we're finally coming up roses! 

Did anyone else notice how chuffed Jones was after the short scuffle on the boundary in the third, when he was being pinned down and three or four team mates helped him out....that would not have happened in years past.

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, Wormburner said:

Did anyone else notice how chuffed Jones was after the short scuffle on the boundary in the third, when he was being pinned down and three or four team mates helped him out....that would not have happened in years past.

I noticed it Worm, seems there is a great feeling in the group.  Bodes well IMO.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Gorgoroth said:

Classy kid, should do well this year but I think Weitering or Moore will do better in the rising star. 

I don't know, i wasn't as impressed with Weitering as most people seem to be, Moore is a gun, i think Oliver is right in the mix and i reckon Petracca will be as well 

2 hours ago, hells bells said:

I noticed it Worm, seems there is a great feeling in the group.  Bodes well IMO.

That's something ive really noticed as well. From the games and training reports the vibe seems supper positive and the camaraderie just terrific. Watch Salem's goal. After he kicks it he is all smiles and his teammates swarmed him. Oliver was laughing and you could just see the positivity and connection.

Similarly after Bugg's goal his teammates really got around him (was it his first goal for the club?). Great to see and it is what Roos has been working on

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Gorgoroth said:

Moore is my fav to win it, Petracca would have been if he didn't break his foot. Weitering will see plenty of the ball, like Rivers did for us.

Key forwards have to be exceptional to win it. Hogan had one of the best first seasons for a key forward in the past 30 years and was still in a two-horse race where arguments were made for either him or Cripps.

Hogan is the only player ever to win the award while playing as a key forward. Nick Holland, Kosi and Riewoldt also won it but played wing/half back the years they did so. Think Oliver, Petracca or Parish more likely, or as you said Weitering who'll see a lot of the footy!

6 minutes ago, Members' Wing said:

Key forwards have to be exceptional to win it. Hogan had one of the best first seasons for a key forward in the past 30 years and was still in a two-horse race where arguments were made for either him or Cripps.

Hogan is the only player ever to win the award while playing as a key forward. Nick Holland, Kosi and Riewoldt also won it but played wing/half back the years they did so. Think Oliver, Petracca or Parish more likely, or as you said Weitering who'll see a lot of the footy!

to be fair, Cripps season was outstanding! i think of the last 5 years he's been the second best behind Hogan

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

On Oliver... I just can't shake the feeling that he's a lot like, of all people... Fyfe.

Maybe not as aerially dominant though.

His mark against the Dogs suggests he could be.

He is about 4cm shorter than Fyfe at the moment but this could change over the next year,

• Like 3

People need to remember, votes aren't cast for each game. Petracca should be a good chance as long as he plays a reasonable amount of games.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Is Dom Is Good said:

His mark against the Dogs suggests he could be.

He is about 4cm shorter than Fyfe at the moment but this could change over the next year,

It doesn't make a great deal of difference overall but it is probably safe to assume that Clayton is closer to 189cm than the 187 he is listed at. 

20 hours ago, loges said:

People need to remember, votes aren't cast for each game. Petracca should be a good chance as long as he plays a reasonable amount of games.

I will continue to back Petracca for the rising star - as I have for a while now. He would've been a very big kid if he had of started in his first year. An extra year in the gym, a year in the system, and a year with the group. Petracca is going to be the guy to beat for the rising star, and that is even if he starts round 4-5. I remember watching him as a junior and thinking to myself that he was on a different level to other players. I never expected we'd land him. I have - and will - continue to back him for the rising star. The only thing that has changed is that I am now also backing Oliver (as a saver), and maybe more than that, he is transitioning well, he is a logical threat. I backed Cripps ahead of Hogan last year, so I am not much of a punter. I didn't expect Hogan to be that dominate, and think it is positive for us - and him - that he was/is.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, loges said:

Petracca Petraccca Petracca!! The hype is enormous!! The bloke hasn't even played a practice game and people are lauding him as the next greatest player behind Jahesus H Christmas!

Time to chill !

Hasn't played even a praccy!!

Ok for Mine I'll take Clarry Choo Choo to be the next Biggest thing at Dees!

Petracca needs to really prove himself based on Hype and Expectation!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Petracca Petraccca Petracca!! The hype is enormous!! The bloke hasn't even played a practice game and people are lauding him as the next greatest player behind Jahesus H Christmas!

Time to chill !

Hasn't played even a praccy!!

Ok for Mine I'll take Clarry Choo Choo to be the next Biggest thing at Dees!

Petracca needs to really prove himself based on Hype and Expectation!

Drugs are bad.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, chook fowler said:

With all the hype about Clarrie and CP5 its easy to overlook how good Viney has been so far in the NAB. He still is the key to our midfield and is probably headed for elite status.

Viney, Jones, Tyson. They need to be getting 80+ disposals between them, using them well, covering the ground in attack and defending and stopping the 3 best midfielders from the other side. They'll have help from a heap of players in the rotation but if we are to afford the luxury of Vince back, Vanders forward and not overdoing young mids it will probably be these 3 doing it.

2 hours ago, chook fowler said:

Don't know why Nashers quote keeps coming up - I can't get rid of it - it bears no relevance to my comment.

Click the box in the top left of the quote and then hit delete. Will get rid of it. Bug with the new site.

• Like 2

On 14 March 2016 at 3:55 PM, RalphiusMaximus said:

Found it.  Near the end of the second quarter:

• 3.36 to go in the second he marks in the centre circle. 
  • Attempt to give the quick handpass to Watts which is tapped down by the man on the mark
  • Watts picks up the spill and dishes back to Oliver
  • Oliver short chip to Hogan, play on is called and the ball is knocked out of Hogans hands.
  • Oliver follows up and takes the ground ball at full speed, crashes into a tackler and dishes back to Hogan fro the ground
  • Hogan is tackled and the ball spills
  • Oliver grabs the groundball while still down and dishes to Hogan and N Jones at 3.23 to go.

That's one mark and four disposals in 13 seconds resulting in us getting a F50 entry although it doesn't get much further.  Oliver also followed up again to pick up the ground ball coming out of our 50 and I don't think was credited with a disposal for letting it be jarred lose in the direction of a teammate.  If he can have that sort of impact more often he'll give the Brownlow a shake sooner or later. 

One of THE most intense 15 seconds of effort, persistence and repeat efforts that I can remember from any player of any level of experience.

Bring on the season!

• Like 2