• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - CLAYTON OLIVER

Freddy Fuschia

For me, what stood out in his highlight package was the absence of defensive work. He looks like Jordie's Bizzarro World counterpart.

Highlight packages generally promote the attacking attributes.

The thing I like about Oliver is that I think he has the attributes to be a better than good player. That's not to say that he will, but he has the attributes.

He obviously has the power in his game, which is great, but he has the ability to beat players using his sidestep in traffic. He is actually able to create his own pocket of space where there is none, and this often separates good players from really good players.

For example, Bernie Vince is a good player but that's all he is. He gets the ball in congestion and gives it off quickly or hacks it forward, both of which are legitimate options for a good player.

Whereas Pendlebury is a really good player. He can get the ball in congestion and then beat an opponent to create space for himself, which means that his clearance is now an attacking opportunity with clean possession retained.

Oliver looks like he could create opportunities from contested situations with his combination of power, agility and composure. I'm not saying that he'll automatically be a superstar, but I'm certainly feeling bullish at this very early point. And if I can't be bullish now, when can I be!

• Like 17

The thing I like about Oliver is that I think he has the attributes to be a better than good player. That's not to say that he will, but he has the attributes.

He obviously has the power in his game, which is great, but he has the ability to beat players using his sidestep in traffic. He is actually able to create his own pocket of space where there is none, and this often separates good players from really good players.

For example, Bernie Vince is a good player but that's all he is. He gets the ball in congestion and gives it off quickly or hacks it forward, both of which are legitimate options for a good player.

Whereas Pendlebury is a really good player. He can get the ball in congestion and then beat an opponent to create space for himself, which means that his clearance is now an attacking opportunity with clean possession retained.

Oliver looks like he could create opportunities from contested situations with his combination of power, agility and composure. I'm not saying that he'll automatically be a superstar, but I'm certainly feeling bullish at this very early point. And if I can't be bullish now, when can I be!

I like that he's prepared to take the tackle and clear space for a teammate then give off the ball.

• Like 1

For me, what stood out in his highlight package was the absence of defensive work. He looks like Jordie's Bizzarro World counterpart.

You did see those big crunching tackles right?

Exactly my thoughts. Clearly didn't watch the highlights package. The guy is a beast.

A few things stand out for me when watching Oliver

• His ability to break tackles, get his arms free and handball out of congestion over players heads
  • His ability to take contested marks
  • His goal kicking ability as a mid
  • The way he stops and props and allows his opponents to be drawn to him to allow his team mate to be free so then he can fire out a handball (Think Sam Mitchell)

In one game he kicked 6 as a mid, he got 30/30 for the goal kicking in the draft combine meaning he can slot them on both feet. He has all the right attributes to be a massive player for us going forward. Sure, Parish has more speed, he can play inside & out but in terms of his contested marks, goal kicking and ability to break tackles and handball over people to clear congestion Oliver is the clear winner for me here.

Your first point is the one that stood out most for me: he hits the pack hard - bash and crash style - but always has it in mind to dish it out to a player that is free if that doesn't work.

I know... highlights and all that... but its nice to see a talent that knows that instinctively rather than someone that has to learn it as in the case of the Jones boy.

• Like 2

It's not just the six tackles per game, it's the fact they're brutal, you see when jack viney or gus brayshaw hit someone, they take a bit to get up, Oliver rattles the opposition, not someone anyone wants to line up against.

Oliver, Jones, Viney, Brayshaw, Petracca, Trengove, all love a hard tackle, bring on 2016

It's not just the six tackles per game, it's the fact they're brutal, you see when jack viney or gus brayshaw hit someone, they take a bit to get up, Oliver rattles the opposition, not someone anyone wants to line up against.

Oliver, Jones, Viney, Brayshaw, Petracca, Trengove, all love a hard tackle, bring on 2016

Vandenberg loves a crunching tackle .. hurt quite a few opposition players in his first season

• Like 4

What I thought was telling in the highlight reel (not mentioned that I can see on the phone) is that when he has or is about to get the ball his team mates take off running on the assumption that he is going to win the contest and deliver the effective disposal. The confidence with which his teammates runs off suggest that they have faith in him, and that he does it regularly. They are not hedging their bets that there might be a turnover. The way he props (as a big fella) selling candy is also huge, if he can keep that up he will upset some defences. His kicking into 50 also looks like it has vision.

• Like 2

From the highlights packages his first instinct is the same as Viney - see ball get ball without hesitation. I am not suggesting other players are timid but there is a rare breed who do not wait for a play to unfold to make a move - their first instinct is to make the play. Oliver appears to me as this sort of player.

• Like 2

you are comparing a three times b&f to a small kid that has not played against men, a bit early only a fool would say that.read reply above.

B&F's in crap teams. Never made the AA squad of 40. Only really got going at the age of 25 and has had just one A-grade year.

Pick 12 versus pick 5 (Parish)

Clearly it's speculation, but I'll be surprised if Parish doesn't become a better player than Nathan Jones.

Defensive work??? We are not planning for this guy to be a tagger. the best form of defense for this guy is attack.

Sides will need to get 2 players on him in order to bring him down.

Are you comparing him to Mckenzie because he is a red head?

Mckenzie couldn't break tackles and is listed as 71kg.

Clayton has 15 kg on Jordan and has just turned 18.

• Like 1

His sidestep is surprisingly good when you see it for the first time. Unexpected almost given his general style of play.

He definitely has a uniquely self-deprecating style about him. Burgo asks him to sell himself to the fans, and his three main points are inside player, slow, and carrying too much weight :) Compare that with Tracka who would've gladly sponsored his own billboard.

I'm leaning towards it being a good thing. He seems like the type that will always be pushing himself to improve.

• Like 1

Neither Brayshaw nor Petracca were that fit last year. Petracca certainly wasn't, he had more weight (mainly in muscle) than Oliver does and Brayshaw had done an ankle and had been off legs for a while after the end of his season.

I think it's well and truly time for us to stash some draftees and let them develop more in the VFL but it wouldn't shock me if we have a few injuries and Oliver sneaks in to a forward pocket.

Brayshaw wasn't meant to debut in round 1, they held him out of the NAB challege after a concussion but he was just too good for VFL footy.

I think Oliver is a lock for a forward role come round 1....

Has the size and strength. Just needs a good preseason to build his fitness

Oliver's body shape has already changed a lot but I can see it changing even more over the course of this pre-season.

Yes, he went from 90 skinfolds to 59 quite quickly and then ran 10.45 for the 3km. How quickly can he get down to sub 10 ?

His sidestep is surprisingly good when you see it for the first time. Unexpected almost given his general style of play.

It shows up in his third placing in the agility test at DC. He knows how to play to his strengths with that dance/sidestep.

He's got strings to his bow, such as good speed and contested marking that are atypical for many inside mids.

• Like 2

Whilst I thinks it's great Oli performed well in the VFL the biggest plus for me is the fact he has realised very early the sacrifices required to make it at the next level.

Full time conditioning staff and dieticians has me looking at him with a great deal of anticipation

Totally agree.

People have to understand the kid had OP earlier in the season. Add to the fact the Bushies only train once a week.

The kid took it upon himself to get the best out of himself - post season - before Combine. He achieved it. It shows his character and his determination. On top of his finish to the season in TAC Cup.

PS. Make sure you hold onto that sig. That's gold.

• Like 3

Totally agree.

People have to understand the kid had OP earlier in the season. Add to the fact the Bushies only train once a week.

The kid took it upon himself to get the best out of himself - post season - before Combine. He achieved it. It shows his character and his determination. On top of his finish to the season in TAC Cup.

PS. Make sure you hold onto that sig. That's gold.

Spot on.

Even with his lack of genuine conditioning he managed to come third in the agility test. The kid is unbelievable in traffic. In fact probably the best I have seen for an 18y/o.

Also came equal first (30/30) in the goal kicking test.

Can't wait to see what he can produce after a couple of preseasons.

• Like 2