FAREWELL DANIEL CROSS

La Dee-vina Comedia

Ease up Pickett

The mind of Crossy is now quicker than his body

Time to bow out with style.

39 possesions last game!

If we had players good enough to replace him I wouldn't be as perturbed BUT have a close look around,

If a bloke is good enough to get 39 Touches against a team who I think will win the Grand Final this year then what the hell are we doing??

Nup, blokes should demand a spot in the side. Lets cut out the Gunna, Coulda Might be's and focus on a tangible.

He played fantastically well this year, AND DISPLAYED LEADERSHIP , which is something we sorely lack!

If anyone deserved another year

Daniel Cross Deserved another year!

Shocking list management IMV!

Edited by picket fence

Wow, that was really unexpected. Thought he was close to a lock for a one year extension. Anyways, it's safe to say that Crossy has been outstanding for the club and the younger guys. He'll be sorely missed.

Cheers Crossy!

EDIT: Just read that the club is offering him a position as a development coach. I'd love to see him remain at the club supporting the next generation of Demon players.

Edited by Demon Jack

He had a couple of great games this year (notably our wins against the Dogs and Pies) but he was exploited by opposition pace far too often. As much as I loved him the last couple of years it's the right call by the club, his time had come. Hopefully whoever fills his spot does it with as much heart and effort as Cross showed throughout his career.

Yes a good summary, it's more a reflection on the club that he is still so important to us; but if you look at the last 4 games, despite the glut of possessions, he was exposed for pace and his skills are starting to deteriorate (like cricketers when it happens it happens quickly).

Still I would not be surprised if he ended up involved it a coaching role (not necessarily at Melbourne)

Congrats to Crossy, his leadership at the club was invaluable. Hope the he can stay on in some capacity. His professionalism and work ethic are up there with the best in the league, and something this club still needs.

He was a great get and vital to getting us on track. Though I believe it is time for him to leave, just watching the past few weeks you can see he cant even take easy chest marks. I dont understand all the cynicism around this honestly, I'm more disgruntled that we will likely re-sign Toumpas!!!

If this is true then this is a shocking indictment on club management.

He has been one of the few "Stellar" performers for this club for two years.

If true I will be emailing the club and asking

Why should I continue to shell out my heard earned when those that earn't respect as a result of playing for the jumper have been let down so dismally!

:mad:

Not happy!!

We can only hope with this decision and the "we've offered Howe what we think he's worth decision" that the club is finally moving into a new phase. We can only hope this extends to the rest of the list.

39 possesions last game!

If we had players good enough to replace him I wouldn't be as perturbed BUT have a close look around,

If a bloke is good enough to get 39 Touches against a team who I think will win the Grand Final this year then what the hell are we doing??

Nup, blokes should demand a spot in the side. Lets cut out the Gunna, Coulda Might be's and focus on a tangible.

He played fantastically well this year, AND DISPLAYED LEADERSHIP , which is something we sorely lack!

Well done Picket. You've taken a thread that should be about celebrating a players career to taking more shots at the club. All class.

• Like 5

39 possesions last game!

He was always going to play 2 years Pickett.

The club has made the right call

He has more value now as a coach

• Like 1

I did my occasional lunchtime run around the Tan today and on my way back to the City I saw a few Dees walking across the Melbourne Storm Rugby training ground.

So I thought I'd dart across the ground too and maybe say hi and wish them luck for Sunday.

I could see it was Bernie by himself following a small group consisting of Pedo, Newton and Crossy himself.

Anyway as I ran closer to them I could see their heads down and there was a real sad vibe happening so I thought better of it and just kept running.

I wondered why they were so negative and thought they might be catching the 'vibe' from us supporters.

Of course I jump on here and now understand why...lol

As for Crossy.

Right time, glad the club did it.

I have no doubt he's been a pretty inspiring leader to have had over the past two years and I'm sure many of his professional footballing and training habits have rubbed off on some of our younger guys.

Played with the intensity and heart that you'd hope every player would display every week. Was always a liability with ball in hand and his pace is now gone. Absolutely the right call. No need to [censored] a half dead-horse. Even if that horse had a heart as big as Phar lap.

Congratulations on a monumental career Daniel Cross. You've been huge.

• Like 3

Daniel Cross

39 possessions

Not offer new contract

Jimmy Toumpas

Can't get a game

Offered 2 year contract

FMD no wonder we are cellar dwellers. Rewarding mediocrity time and time again.

Daniel Cross - 32

Jimmy Toumpas - 21

I get what you mean Olisik, but there is still plenty of time and upside to Toumpas' game. Cross has been great for two years but we can't have him in there forever. If we want to move up the ladder and start to become a real football side then the pressure is now on our guys in the 21-24 age bracket to really step up and make a difference for us going forward.

• Like 5

Daniel Cross - 32

Jimmy Toumpas - 21

I get what you mean Olisik, but there is still plenty of time and upside to Toumpas' game. Cross has been great for two years but we can't have him in there forever. If we want to move up the ladder and start to become a real football side then the pressure is now on our guys in the 21-24 age bracket to really step up and make a difference for us going forward.

Personally I hate seeing age put as a limitation. Look at Fletcher and Harvey? We should get everything we can out of performing players rather then remove them for under performing youth. If we had lots of youth pushing the door down for a spot then fair enough but we don't.

Now another player will be gifted games instead of earning it was Cross will no longer be around next year.

For a club with effort issues, it is hard to see him go.

For a club with speed issues, the opposite is true.

Early this year, I thought Crossy was having his last year. The last 12 rounds has made it more difficult.

It is a ruthless decision, and I think the club are hoping that young speed can put a bit more inside bulk on over the summer.

Daniel Cross has made watching this team a little bit easier in the past 2 years.

• Like 1

Cheers Crossy you have been great for our club and your professionalism showed the younger brigade what is required and what we have lacked for so long

I hope you remain in some capacity with the Dees and my only regret is we didn't get hold of you at a younger age

All the best to you and your family in the future

• Like 6

Lets not overlook the fact that he now comes onto the coaching staff and will still have a role at the club but not onfield. Well done Crossy and thank you for your fantastic contribution to our club

• Like 3

I did my occasional lunchtime run around the Tan today and on my way back to the City I saw a few Dees walking across the Melbourne Storm Rugby training ground.

So I thought I'd dart across the ground too and maybe say hi and wish them luck for Sunday.

I could see it was Bernie by himself following a small group consisting of Pedo, Newton and Crossy himself.

Anyway as I ran closer to them I could see their heads down and there was a real sad vibe happening so I thought better of it and just kept running.

I wondered why they were so negative and thought they might be catching the 'vibe' from us supporters.

Of course I jump on here and now understand why...lol

I hope they all didn't get the same outcome as Crossy's. :unsure:

• Like 1

Well, I can understand the decision

I can't and I'd be appreciative if you could explain it to me. He clearly wanted to play on, he would have been told it was possible he'd play the end of his career at Casey and it's just a convenient excuse to say "we want him to finish on top". That's his decision.

Leadership, experience, courage, professionalism and most of all he's clearly in our best 22 at present. If he isn't (in the best 22) next year he'd play at Casey and we've kept him for our last pick in the ND.

Surely it can't be for LM issues. I count at least 8 players I don't want on the list and another 6 or 7 I'd trade for a reasonable offer.

Makes no sense to me but that's not uncommon. I think it's a poor decision.

I love Crossy but I too think it's a good time to finish up. He couldn't play in the midfield any more and his lack of speed or skill at half back meant he really had to play very well to keep his spot, no matter how many numbers he racked up.

Presuming we continue to persist with Garland, Grimes, Lumumba and McDonald as part of the backline mix it really is time to add more youth in those half back spots. That means Salem, Stretch, White, maybe Newton, Brayshaw or Neal Bullen could both have a year of development there and so on.

I'm leaning to say I would've kept Crossy due to delisting enough room to hold a spot for an older player, but it would've been for more a 12 game contract and the reality that unless we were really struggling with injury that he might have to spend a lot of time at Casey.

well Bugger :(

Thanks Crossy

You earned the respect and admiration of us ( Im sure )

good luck

• Like 1

I think the game on Boomer Harvey pretty much said this was going to happen. Love the bloke but he is very slow. Great to keep him at the club if that is how it turns out.