Colin Garland

stevethemanjordan

Colin Garland - Keep or Let go?  

265 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Have we seriously starting basing this on a few pieces of footage?

Do we want to start showing the footage of terrific spoils, good tackles and out marking his opponent? He does all those things too, and quite regularly I might add.

But to each their own I guess.

No. If you bothered to read the post you wouldn't have said that.

So if you are going to comment without reading posts bets you don't.

• Like 1

Do we want to start showing the footage of terrific spoils, good tackles and out marking his opponent? He does all those things too, and quite regularly I might add.

You're one of many who say things like this. And it's exactly what I'm referring to when I say there are posters who refuse to acknowledge fundamental problems in certain players' games.

It's just a clear example of the things I've already spoken about concerning one-eyed supporters. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if you were against letting Frawley go either for the same reasons.

I have never ever said Garland doesn't have 'ability'. I've seen his best. And at his best he is a really valuable player.

As I've said. It's like trying to explain the theory of evolution to a creationist.

• Like 1

disagree. If you put a garland highlights clip up against a garland lowlights clip it would not look good for Colin. The sheer volume of stupid frees given away inside 50 would be damning

He hasn't re-signed yet,

Ive deleted the other stuff...irrelevant

The remaining however is of great intrigue because it does beg the question ...why ? ( not )

I must confess, if he goes he goes. If he stays and has a solid preseason and gets his mojo happening hes a handy player..I do however put Colin in a group ( for mine ) of players who I wouldn't describe as core elements of or growth going forward. They can have roles, of course, but aren't essential ( nor irreplaceable )

But that question certainly has my curiosity

• Like 1

The remaining however is of great intrigue because it does beg the question ...why ? ( not )

I must confess, if he goes he goes. If he stays and has a solid preseason and gets his mojo happening hes a handy player..I do however put Colin in a group ( for mine ) of players who I wouldn't describe as core elements of or growth going forward. They can have roles, of course, but aren't essential ( nor irreplaceable )

Perhaps the club hasn't pulled the trigger yet?

The clubs have been very good at the narrative that players are the ones that hold up contracts being signed but every year about 100 blokes don't get contracts given that they can not sign.

Maybe Garland hasn't seen a contract yet and we are playing the waiting game. Or that we have given a contract so low it couldn't possibly be accepted.

• Like 4

Have a look at the 30sec mark in this video. It tells you everything you need to know about Garland. (if someone can do the GIF thing it would be easier to see!). After watching him closely over the past three years this is the moment he lost me for good.

7mins into the game against St Kilda Rd 17.

Garland leaves Reiwoldt alone in the fwd 50 to run to a pack on the members wing.

Garland makes a lame effort to spoil in a pack and stops half way through and falls off the back.

The ball is gathered by the Saints who kick it to Reiwoldt in the fwd 50.

NJones makes a valiant attempt to chase down Reiwoldt but just misses.

After we scored the first goal Garlands error cost us a goal and St Kilda took the momentum. Incredibly frustrating from a senior player and it was totally avoidable.

Yes this is an isolated incident but in this game he was abysmal and shows why he should go. He has made many similar mistakes in 2015.

Its 7mins into the game and set a poor tone for the rest of the match. He is a 'leader' but other players now second guess their roles, where to run, who to cover etc.

Dumb move to leave Reiwoldt.

Dumb move to run to the wing when there were already 4(!!!!!) other MFC players there.

Fails to impact the contest - in fact pulls out of the contest and lamely waits at the back of the pack.

So poor defensive skill, poor reading of the play, poor decision to run to pack of MFC players, no sense as to when to leave his man, once he decided to leave his man had no impact on the contest.

In short he gives us very little offensively, I think very little defensively but he detracts a lot and is one of the players that is reponsible for the breakdown in structure that Roos talks about.

Oh gawd i remember that exact moment i threw my remote at the tv and hurled abuse at Garland for that. He did it all game! just did NOT pay the respect to Riewoldt and tried to play off him at all costs.

I am in the boat that he needs to be moved out of this club.

Jeepers creepers - can we lay off Colin?

Yes, he does have the occasional 'brain fart' but he is dedicated and committed.

Rather than dicking around with trying to find a 'buddy' for Jesse up forward, how about we forget about persevering with Dawes or trying to re - mould Tommy Mac and get Col to play forward?

Relieved of the responsibility of minding a key opposition forward he may just flourish.

What have we got to lose?

• Like 1

Jeepers creepers - can we lay off Colin?

Yes, he does have the occasional 'brain fart' but he is dedicated and committed.

Rather than dicking around with trying to find a 'buddy' for Jesse up forward, how about we forget about persevering with Dawes or trying to re - mould Tommy Mac and get Col to play forward?

Relieved of the responsibility of minding a key opposition forward he may just flourish.

What have we got to lose?

Nah..

Have a look at the 30sec mark in this video. It tells you everything you need to know about Garland. (if someone can do the GIF thing it would be easier to see!). After watching him closely over the past three years this is the moment he lost me for good.

In short he gives us very little offensively, I think very little defensively but he detracts a lot and is one of the players that is reponsible for the breakdown in structure that Roos talks about.

Credit where it's due for seeking out evidence, and that's a pretty damning example.

Howe didn't exactly cover himself in glory with the feeble effort across the front of that pack, either.

Which raises the thought, I imagine people would be happier about the thought of Garland being traded if they believed we would get as much value as for Howe.

Throw in a lot of people who are kind of fence-sitters on this one, including myself, and it starts to feel like the main reason Garland would still be on the list next year is because there just isn't much point cutting him right now, and he's adequate enough as depth. Kind of a placeholder until a more potent key defender comes along.

I made the mistake of watching some more of that highlights reel. Ugh.. the jogging, the jogging, oh stop pretending and just stand still if you're going waft around like that you pack of [censored].

I rate that second St Kilda game (this thread refers to) as almost our worst performance of the year. We let a bloke on one leg destroy us - doesn't say much for our defence.

On topic I'm probably in favour of him staying. His good probably outweighs his bad and we need experience in our defence as it's quite an inexperienced defence.

If he's a free agent then he can walk but he has to get an offer first.

I assume then that the silence surrounding him is all about whether there's interest from other clubs and whether we would be prepared to match an offer if one is forthcoming.

Perhaps the club hasn't pulled the trigger yet?

The clubs have been very good at the narrative that players are the ones that hold up contracts being signed but every year about 100 blokes don't get contracts given that they can not sign.

Maybe Garland hasn't seen a contract yet and we are playing the waiting game. Or that we have given a contract so low it couldn't possibly be accepted.

A contract so low or one that reflects his true worth and ability.

With a full list he's not in my best 22. Happy for him to go.

I'm glad the club is finally taking hold of the reins. Looks like H got the last of the handouts.

Think the cat might be out of the bag thanks to Tommy Mac.

12009647_400091436850641_738805380467918

Friendly banter I wonder?

I refuse to go in Twitter but I appreciate the efforts that do and post stuff for our interest.

Could Sydney be a possible destination for Col.

At this stage of the year each player will have had their review. Maybe Garland was told he would be wise to take a look at what other clubs can offer, perhaps he has an offer that he is going to take.

I'm no expert on this Twitter business but I do follow a few Demons and strangely enough, their Twitter handles are different to those in the above post.

For instance, I have:-

@cpetracca7

@TomMcDonald92

Also, when I tried to locate a couple of the Twitter handles represented above I was told they don't exist.

Can I be convinced that this whole thing isn't just a crude fake?

I'm no expert on this Twitter business but I do follow a few Demons and strangely enough, their Twitter handles are different to those in the above post.

For instance, I have:-

@cpetracca7

@TomMcDonald92

Also, when I tried to locate a couple of the Twitter handles represented above I was told they don't exist.

Can I be convinced that this whole thing isn't just a crude fake?

Intagram WJ.

The candid photos would indicate their legitimacy.

Banter IMO.

Little piece in the PSST sports section of The Age today mentioned the club being very confident of Col staying, just fixing up financials.

No such comment was given re: Howe though.

LOL.

I think players have caught up with the fact nuffie fans like you and I - and every Jay Clark, Jon Ralph wannabe - jump at this sort of stuff. It's all one big joke and everyone's in on the act. See Dangerfield on IG.

• Like 1