The 'great' Allen Jakovich

What

was that the torp from 60+m on southern flank boundary to the richmond end?

best set shot goal i've seen, and taken off a couple of steps

That game was at Arctic Park. Can't remember if he boomed a torp in that game.

I recall watching his first game on TV. It was against the Crows in Adelaide. His opponent was Danny Hughes. We'd been in good form until that game but things went skew iff that day. What I remember most was Danny Hughes giving Jackovich one - a Hughes specialty - and Jackovich just charging at him in the goal square to even up. I said to myself, I like this boy. Probably would have been reported under today's rules.

I witnessed the 11 goals at the 'G, including the scissor kick, but a goal at Arctic Park is the one I remember most.

A great piece of play from the middle saw Jacko run to 15m almost straight in front only to dribble the ball through for a point.

From memory Langford took the kickout and proceeded to put it out of bounds (untouched) just on the 50m arc in front of the small scoreboard at the Wellington Road end..

Jacko was closest to the ball, ran 30m, picked the ball out of the gutter (very deep boundary lines if you remember), ran to where the 50m arc met the boundary line and roosted the ball on his left foot through for a goal.

• Like 1

With all the hoopla and excitement on Hogan in his first 15 games (and he is good to watch).... he has kicked 32.14.

Jako in the same number of games had kicked 78.61......What a one man show.

Just so many highlights in such a short space of time.

Great video from the Essendon game. FTR it was Fletchers 6th game and boy did he get a lesson from the maestro.

His feat of kicking 11.8 (he should have kicked 16 plus) made a boring game interesting.

With Farmer and Schwartz the most exciting players I have seen in the red & blue.

Jakos last game at MFC against Hawthorn he kicked 8.1. Then developed chronic back problems.

Appeared at the Bulldogs for less than a year but was a shell of his former self.

You would drive 100 miles to see a showman and character like that.

Long live the memories.

• Like 7

Kicks his 8th vs the FIlth, does a celebration and gives Mick McGuane a mouthful (I believe it was "You weak 'C') before Garry Lyon drags him away :)

Edited by hogans_heroes

This one!!!!!

My favourite goal from Jacka was from this very same position well after the halftime siren against Collingwood . He infuriated the Pies supporters by arguing with the umpire over the angle of the shot and then to an increasing crescendo of boos , calmly slotted a monster . To cap it off . he then bounded up the nearby race high-fiving supporters .

• Like 2

I hope Petracca can become the next Jakovich,,, he is a similair size and he has charisma

I know hes projected to end up a midfielder and no doubt will but hes going to be a beast inside forward 50 too

I think half the point of this thread is that AJ was a hugely wasted talent . . .

I have a video of the 1994 season...some brilliant highlights i used to watch it growing up as a kid , was shattered when Jako went out, but we had Shwartz, Neitz and Lyon to watch after he went down ..some great champions.

• Like 1

I think half the point of this thread is that AJ was a hugely wasted talent . . .

Disagree. His body ( chronic back problems) destroyed the gem.

If anything during his short career, he certainly made the most of his time at MFC and did it crowd pulling showmanship that is sadly lacking in the AFL.

His playing career at MFC lasted a little over 3 years for 47 games as a forward kicking 201 goals 159 points. Absolutely phenomenal average of 7 scoring shots per game.

I struggling to think of a player with as short a career and had a similar or greater impact.

• Like 1

You do really have to wonder where he is nowdays. Back in 2007 or 08 Ox did mention he was up in QLD running a fishing charter but no one would know now..

Does anyone think we will ever see an interview with him again?

For me the most outrageously talented player that I have seen in the Red and Blue. And that is saying something when I have seen Barassi, Flower, and Schwartz play.

For me the only other player of similar capabilities was Liam Jurrah and his was also, sadly, too short a career.

His output, as mentioned by QWERTY, was simply unbelievable. You went to a game never knowing if he was going to kick 8.1 or 1.8, but you knew he would get a ridiculous amount of exciting shots at goal regardless.

However, he was a lazy footballer who never wanted to put in the work required to maintain an AFL career. Gary Lyon has some interesting insights into his attitude to pre-season in his book "Demon Within".

HIs injury happened at Princes park when he smashed into the goal post backward in a marking contest. While he played on in further games and then at the Dogs, he was never the same again.

I understand some very serious attempts have been made to locate and convince him to come out from his self enforced "hiding", even recently. But all to no avail.

What could have been.......

, at the start of one season jako went to his boot sponsor and he got all of his boots for that season he got all different size all small sizes, the boot sponsor sent their rep to follow him to see if he was going to sell them, he went to a local footy ground whereere there was junior training, he opened up his boot called over the kids and gave them all away

• Like 3

This had to be Allen's best game....

Only those at the game could understand what i mean

The Victoria Park Slag Heap was not a nice place to visit..

Allen started slowly.....

Who else on here was there at this game in '92?

This had to be Allen's best game....

Only those at the game could understand what i mean

The Victoria Park Slag Heap was not a nice place to visit..

Allen started slowly.....

Who else on here was there at this game in '92?

I was there>

He owned the forward line THAT DAY strutted like a peacock and absolutely mesmerised us all including pies supporters all around me. OHHHHHHHHHH THE BEAUTIFUL MEMEORIES!

best forward I have ever seen

I was there>

He owned the forward line THAT DAY strutted like a peacock and absolutely mesmerised us all including pies supporters all around me. OHHHHHHHHHH THE BEAUTIFUL MEMEORIES!

best forward I have ever seen

Spot on Jack. He was so quick off 2-3 steps which is why he was so often in front of his man and why he could recover on an arc run...

I don't remember much from the early 90's to be completely honest.

But I recall being at this game with some Collingwood mates.

We had a few at the retreat and a few at the game .

They were a bit stunned as I recall.

They loved him as much as me.