POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 18

Demonland

I hven't watched the replay yet but I intend taking particular note of GRIMES when I do.

At the game I thought he played his best game for us for a long while and was a very useful contributor - solid saving marks made good position and used the ball well and was a strong element in our defensive structure.

Then I get on here and found people bagging him and my immediate reaction is to note who the critics are and I resolve not to regard their opinions as of any value in future. As they say in the classics ' you know who you are'.

So here's my promise. I will thoroughly review the game for the sheer pleasure of it, but if I am wrong and Grimes was no good I will post my apology. If my opinion is confirmed I will name names because the negativity and rushes to judgement on this site sometimes get up my nose.

My best: Vince (obviously) Watts (another who cops unwarranted #@$% on this site and elsewhere), Gawn, Jones, Grimes

From my observations Grimes got caught with the ball regularly (at least 5 times). He lacks awareness or was having an off day. He did make some contributions defensively, but like I said he got caught too often. In the first quarter he also turned the ball over a couple of times. I like Grimes, he seems like a good bloke, a good professional & great club man. I hope he can succeed in footy for his own sake but I'm beginning to wonder if he is too limited at the top level. Hope I'm wrong.
  • Like 2

Strangely the wife has hardly said a word..

Unlike the pre game ribbing.

The quiet is luxuriant :)

• Like 4

Gus is such a competitive beast, I seriously don't know if I love him or Hogan more! If Petracca is just as good they are a formidable trio to build a club around for the next 10-15 years.

The kid is gonna be some kind of wonderful. Hits targets under pressure (very unMelbourne like), makes the right decisions and tackles hard. Has a genuine burst of speed and evasiveness. Will be an absolute gun.

Edited by grazman
  • Like 5

Dawes describes himself as a battler, and that's what he is. In the last two weeks he's been back to his best - he's been holding marks, and he's used his strength to break tackles. If he can continue to do that, he definitely adds something to the side. No doubt it'd be nice if he could hit the scoreboard more, but I can live without that so long as he contributes in other ways.

Dawes takes a comparable number of marks to 'second tier' marking forwards such as Schulz, Roughead, Petrie et al. These players all take 4-6 marks per game on average (Dawes 4.7). Elite marking forwards such as Riewoldt and Cloke take in the order of 7-8 marks per game on average. When he was in poor form he still took a minimum of 2 marks a game.

The criticism of him goes beyond reasonable IMO.

He might have played okay yesterday, but it's a stretch 2 say his last 2 weeks have been his best. I still have his first 3 kicks from last week ingrained in my mind, 2 grubbers (one a shot for an open gaol from 15-20m) and the other kick instead of going forward he chose to go across goal and kick to an opposition player.

I only tip Melbourne if I think we'll win and I tipped them this week.

We had 9 100+ game players to their 6. Going into the game we both had 9>50 game players. They ended up with 10 due to Goldsack being a late withdrawal.

We had an average age of 24.2 to their 23.2.

And we had an average games played of 85 to their 73.

They were younger and less experienced. We should have won. Our problem is belief as much as anything else.

From my observations Grimes got caught with the ball regularly (at least 5 times). He lacks awareness or was having an off day. He did make some contributions defensively, but like I said he got caught too often. In the first quarter he also turned the ball over a couple of times. I like Grimes, he seems like a good bloke, a good professional & great club man. I hope he can succeed in footy for his own sake but I'm beginning to wonder if he is too limited at the top level. Hope I'm wrong.

I thought twice he had his head ripped off and he copped some poor umpiring.

I'm quite happy to keep him on the list.Great clubman.Like you say.

A few players got caught in what was a pretty fast tempo match.

I dont understand the rules anymore but his frees for and against yesterday should have been different .

The only technical/easy frees we got were when then result was not in doubt because the umpires are front running,backslapping,pathetic AFL puppets with no soul, character,backbone or integrity.

They are a waste of money at the current rate and need a good smack in the head.

I dont understand the rules anymore but his frees for and against yesterday should have been different .

The only technical/easy frees we got were when then result was not in doubt because the umpires are front running,backslapping,pathetic AFL puppets with no soul, character,backbone or integrity.

They are a waste of money at the current rate and need a good smack in the head.

Just because you are transforming into Ellen; there is no need for it to be a nasty Ellen.

• Like 1

Just because you are transforming into Ellen; there is no need for it to be a nasty Ellen.

You men are all the same.

• Like 5

There was one occasion where he turned back into trouble & ducked his head so the free kick wasn't paid. There was also another occasion where he was running sideways inside the centre square, took too long to get rid of it & ducked into the incoming tackle from the side. The umpiring in general & rules make the game hard to tolerate, they need to simplify it & go back to the basics of footy, it's really not that complicated. Regarding keeping Grimes on the list I'm currently torn. He was a Melbourne supporter growing up & he has invested heavily into the club & has put the club first. On the other hand he may have some trade value & help us build our list, I'm not sure how much value he'd have, but he played some good footy early in his career which other clubs may remember. Time will tell I guess.

I would have been if I could see, Fox Footy zoom in so bloody close to the ball it's hard to know what's happening.

Obviously footy is hard to telecast because of the size of the ground, but there is no need for them to be so zoomed-in that when a ball is hand-passed it goes off the screen and you have to guess to whom it is going. Particularly nerve racking for a Demons supporter because it is likely to be going to someone about to be pummelled. Or we just see a player running with a ball on green grass with no idea what he faces in front or behind. I do not need to know if the player shaved that morning.

• Like 1

I think Pendlebury was down because of the way we played him. Several crunch tackles in the first half really hurt him. A lesson to us all on how to play elite mids. I seem to remember we did the same to Selwood at Geelong earlier in the year, and look what that brought us.

VDB laid a big one on him just before HT, he was shaken after it. I loved it.

And in response to all those saying 'Collingwood played badly because of our pressure', whilst some of that might be the case I'll ask this:

Where farkkk has that pressure been, (especially in that first quarter) in every game this year?

Why do the players pick and choose?

Is anyone suggesting otherwise?

I agree Bonkers.

Sadly I don't think Grimes has the assets for AFL level. His mistakes outweigh his positives....

I hope Im wrong as I think he's a terrific bloke, but as a cheap seats contributor I don't think he'll be in the team when Salem, Frost, toump and a few others hit their straps. He seems too slow and makes poor decisions continually under pressure

And in response to all those saying 'Collingwood played badly because of our pressure', whilst some of that might be the case I'll ask this:

Where farkkk has that pressure been, (especially in that first quarter) in every game this year?

Why do the players pick and choose?

Please... just enjoy the win. So negative. Lighten up, we won.

Not sure if this had been pointed out, but we've beaten four of the current top eight this year. I think that may just be defined as improvement

Yes the improvement is there but we,,

Have also lost 3 games we should Have won.Have to be more consistant.

We should be on 9 wins.9 Wins ffs

Does anyone else find it a bit odd that Varcoe is the only Pie wearing an indigenous armband? Maybe the Scum didn't want to stand by him and he was forced show his support in isolation. Side by side my ass!

• Like 1

Does anyone else find it a bit odd that Varcoe is the only Pie wearing an indigenous armband? Maybe the Scum didn't want to stand by him and he was forced show his support in isolation. Side by side my ass!

But Eddy is a champion of Indigenous Australia.

Remember???

He went to pick up Krackouer from the can in 2009.

• Like 1