Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Changes for Round 3

watchtheeyes

Bloody well analysed mate, I just don't like to drop a forward in Vandenberg, who had very little supply from our midfield after half time.

We need to someone to do a forward defensive job on B Smith who provides a lot of run for the Crows and we need to limit Dangerfields impact on the game obviously, maybe a job for Mckenzie, Cross would be far to slow, Viney will do a decent job on him.

cheers dude.

vb comes out as he can't roll thru the midfield at this stage, whereas jkh can / does push up very effectively - and creates space.

viney to sloane for mine.

like another poster said, i'm hoping smith doesn't play. he and jaensch are brilliant at rebounding, so much be stopped.

Cannot believe people are now starting to wake up and realize why Collingwood laughed at us when we went so hard for Dawes.

While we need to continue to add classy midfielders there is a kid by the name of Josh Schache from the Murray Bushrangers who trained with us earlier this year who i hope we really consider. 199cm lead up CHF who also can take a big pack mark.

In saying that i just heard Jay Clark mention that Carlton could be targeting Jeremy McGoven from West Coast. I hope we are too.

I think people realised he had limitations but there's now 18 clubs. Sometimes you have to take what you can get.

Bloody well analysed mate, I just don't like to drop a forward in Vandenberg, who had very little supply from our midfield after half time.

We need to someone to do a forward defensive job on B Smith who provides a lot of run for the Crows and we need to limit Dangerfields impact on the game obviously, maybe a job for Mckenzie, Cross would be far to slow, Viney will do a decent job on him.

Carted off on a stretcher in the last quarter with a head injury, so unlikely to play.

There'll be mimimal changes because we have no depth.

Riley Riley Riley.

Why does our clearance monster get overlooked when clearances are our no.1 deficiency?

I really do not understand.

Beacuse his disposal is terrible, just like M.Jones & McKenzie

Having Dawes in the team destroyed everything that worked for us last week. He runs around like a headless chook, drops everything that comes his way, and doesn't kick goals. His undisciplined acts set a terrible example, and he provides no protection for Hogan. JKH should never have been dropped and should come in for Dawes.

I can't see that Frost is any better than Pedersen as a forward / ruck. Maybe as back / ruck.

Roos slaughtered Howe by letting his opponent drag him out of the play at every opportunity. He should have been sent forward in the second half, but I wouldn't drop him.

Jamar was pathetic in the second half. Would Spencer or Gawn have done better in the ruck? Possibly not, but they sure would have made a contest around the ground to stop GWS bringing the ball in through McCarthy at every opportunity.

Grimes in, maybe for Kent? Dean wasn't the worst, but his inability to execute the simplest of skills at key times is a worry.

As an aside, I think we found out exactly why Lumumba, Garlett and Vince were unwanted by their previous sides. As soon as the pressure is turned on, they just turn to water.

• Like 1

Lol people here are fickle.

Garland won't be dropped. He had an average game but no defender can be at fault for 13 straight goals from the opposition. The fault is squarely on the mids!

Only McDonald hands down won the day. On this trend everyone should get dropped.

• Like 5

Dawes is a better options than howe up forward, Jeremy flies well for marks but does not do a lot beside that if he does not mark it. Dawes contests often with two players on him still. We need more support for Dawes from our crumbers. I think Kent needs to either be sub or dropped, his two misses are were things he should be nailing, didn't do a lot more beside his one goal two points. Howe did not do a lot, should be rested and frost sent back. We have Tex walker to cover this week so we need a bit of speed as well as marking power I think frost is more versatile in defence. JHK in for Kent, and Toumpas for Howe. while I like cross and his brilliant work ethic I am not sure about his disposal, maybe mitchie or pigdog in for him. While pigdog may have disposal issues I think he would try harder against Adelaide, gotta love his tackling.

• Like 1

Cannot believe people are now starting to wake up and realize why Collingwood laughed at us when we went so hard for Dawes.

While we need to continue to add classy midfielders there is a kid by the name of Josh Schache from the Murray Bushrangers who trained with us earlier this year who i hope we really consider. 199cm lead up CHF who also can take a big pack mark.

In saying that i just heard Jay Clark mention that Carlton could be targeting Jeremy McGoven from West Coast. I hope we are too.

There is a kid named Weideman as well but Roos usually drafts for classy mids and trades for talls. I heard that there is a bloke down Geelong way that gets depressed once he sees his team get belted week in week out. Maybe he wants out and we can trade him for Dawes?

lol Carlton targeting everyone. Even their own coach knows no one wants to go to them so why do they even bother?

Garland won't be dropped. He had an average game but no defender can be at fault for 13 straight goals from the opposition. The fault is squarely on the mids!

Only McDonald hands down won the day. On this trend everyone should get dropped.

You cant drop players on 1 bad game.

Everyone bar Toumpas had a good game against the Suns.

Vince had to come in. He had the runs on the board due to his fantastic season last year. Give him time.

Then there is the player that finished about 15th in the B&F who done nothing in the NAB challenge after having a PB preseason and replaced a form player only to have a shocker. If that isn't a form line to be dropped then nothing is.

If his name was Pedersen or McKenzie it would be a no brainer but because his name is premiership hero Dawes it's another story.

You can't pick anyone from the VFL this week because it was a training drill and you can't pick players from training drills if that was the case TDI should be a selector.

For me.

I would drop Howe and bring in Matt Jones/Grimes

And either drop Brayshaw to give him a full game in the 2s or not make him the sub.

I thought we lacked a genuine second ruckman, and when Jamar got tired against Mummy, thats when the pain started..

Spencer seems to be our in form ruckman in the twos, so maybe Frost for him? Just to give Frost a wake up call..

But I would probly keep frost because he is so good around the ground.. We just need to utilize Frost in the Ruck more!!

And atop making Jamar ruck all day!

Also thought we could of put Hogan to CHB to try and stem the tide..

Edited by Coup Cooper

There needs to be a good reason to drop a player other than a bad game. So for mine:

- If Bernie can't play 75+% of time (vs 52% on sat) he is out (or else is the sub).

- Dawes may be the coach's pet but he isn't contributing to games and more importantly hasn't for a long time. BTW:

-Hogan doesn't need protecting, he can look after himself!!

-If Dawes role is to be a decoy to take another tall, instead put Frost/Pedo/Gawn/xxx down there (who can relieve Jamar in the ruck)

-Being in the Leadership Group is not automatic selection (ala Grimes)

-I can't see what other effective role Dawes has played or can play so I would drop him.

Grimes did a great job on Danger last year so could be considered. JKH and Toumpas are both match-fit so could come in. Really depends on match-ups.

An essential change: Wake up the coaches box during the game!!!

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

If Grimes Is to come in it has to be a part of a midfield rotation.

He can't play off half-back as our back six - McDonald, Dunn, Garland, Howe, Jetta and Salem - is settled.

One of the key changes in the way we are setting up early in 2015 is we are not playing a seventh defender, and if we do have someone rolling back it's Lumumba.

To be a contributor in 2015, we need Grimes as a mid, something that he's bee trialled relatively unsuccessfully at in the past.

• Like 2

I personally like that we had 3 small forwards in round one and disliked losing one in round two. I again would like 3 small forwards (Kent, JkH and Garlett).

I think our best two tall forwards are Hogan (1) and then Watts (2). Watts gets moved out of his better position (as a lead up forward) when we play 4 talls which i felt overcrowded the forward line.

Then we need a third tall who can ruck (frost being explosive can jump quite high so has done well in the center square - But throwing this out there, what about Howe anyone - Jeff White esk? just jump over/ontop of the other ruckman tap to advantage) then Dawes can ruck around the ground as its pretty much a wrestle (and he is good at that - so hopefully break even).

No point bringing in another ruckman unless we drop 2 talls (Frost & Dawes - which i dont think will happen). So thinking this over i think Frost will go. I dont mind if we are a little smaller in the backline, as its the midfield that will determine the match, if they get a free run like last week having frost back wont change a thing (plus i feel that if he plays forward in the VFL he will be at best average 6-15 possessions a week).

Brayshaw to play in the middle, Vince or vandenburg as sub (as both don't have the tank yet to play the entire game out, but if we get an injury both can play the game out).

I think Roos will keep the team stable (like last year when we lost he didn't really make many changes).

Go Dees, hoping we play a full game next week (then who knows what will happen).

Or as a defensive forward.

No Hogan did too... starved of opportunity after half time, but he is going to be something very special.

Edited by grazman

He can't play off half-back as our back six - McDonald, Dunn, Garland, Howe, Jetta and Salem - is settled.

One of the key changes in the way we are setting up early in 2015 is we are not playing a seventh defender, and if we do have someone rolling back it's Lumumba.

To be a contributor in 2015, we need Grimes as a mid, something that he's bee trialled relatively unsuccessfully at in the past.

I'm not convinced that Howe should remain settled in the backline. Yes he played well against GC but so did the entire team. They were given the time and space to do so.

We have an absolute weapon with Howe's aerial ability. Are we really going to use it purely for the odd intercept mark off half back? That seems a criminal waste to me. The forward line has improved with the mix of talls and smalls, but the addition of Howe could take it from promising to dangerous.

There seems a consensus on here that he's a defender now and that's that. Howe certainly didn't appear on the weekend to be someone who was happy playing out the year as a defender. If he does end up leaving, it's not going to be the greatest mystery in the world to figure out why.

• Like 1

Did you forget Howe's games last year as a forward? Some of his worst. Lazy, poor leads, terrible inaccuracy on set shots. Moving him to defence has been a stroke of genius.

If he's unhappy playing his role for the team and thinks he knows better than Roos, he can [censored] off at the end of the year with that [censored] poor anti-team attitude.

• Like 3

No change.

Show some metal. If they can respond as a group, then it will be a huge positive.

If we make wholesale changes and still get pumped, what then? Bring Dawes back in.

No change! Believe in the process.

• Like 1

Did we go in to tall? Clearly lacked run today. Even though we dominated the first half scoreboard.

Toumpas and Jay Kennedy Harris are running players. But they aren't better than Vince and Dawes.

Out, slowness and clumsiness.

In, speed and skill.

Frost stays, as does Gus. Dawes to Auskick, Toump and JKH in. No Spencil or Gawn yet, despite Jamar's complete pantsing. We were too tall this week (derrr!).

I'm not sure speed is the big issue. It was all about effort after half time. It went from manic pressure in the first half to being non existent in the second.

Did you forget Howe's games last year as a forward? Some of his worst. Lazy, poor leads, terrible inaccuracy on set shots. Moving him to defence has been a stroke of genius.

If he's unhappy playing his role for the team and thinks he knows better than Roos, he can [censored] at the end of the year with that [censored] poor anti-team attitude.

I remember him being a 30 goal forward in arguably the worst Melbourne team we've seen. He was being shuffled around last year so it's hardly a fair sample. His set shots need work but that's the same for a lot of our players.

"Stroke of genius"? Not sure I'd go that far. It all came as a result of Roos rolling the dice one week and throwing some magnets up against the whiteboard. He's been stuck there ever since.

I don't disagree with your last statement, and it's only body language I'm judging it on. He's thus far played the role he's been given, but it wasn't a strong showing on the weekend.

If he leaves, he'll revert to being a forward. And likely a damn good one.

According to the AFL website, the nominated back six played 544 out of a possible 600% game time. So, either another 56% of game time was played by one or more players or we played without five (or even fewer) defenders for some of the game. It seems to me that on those figures a 7th defender is required and it would make sense to me if it were Lumumba (or Grimes, Toumpas, or whoever) playing back when the team requires it and on ball the rest of their time on the ground.

I didn't see the game at all, but it seems to me the biggest deficiency at the moment is the second ruck position. We know Jamar cannot ruck on his own all day. We know Dawes can't provide back up and I suspect we all believe it's not what we want Hogan to do. Frost doesn't strike me as a pinch-hitting second ruck, and neither does Pedersen. Can we play one of Spencer or Gawn with Jamar? If so, I think one of them comes in for Frost, unless there's a spot for Frost in the backline which I can't at the moment see. As Jamar plus Spencer/Gawn slows us down compared with Jamar/Frost, I think vandenBerg may have to make way for JKH.

Edited by La Dee-vina Comedia

I'd like:

B: Jetta, Dunn, Frost (take Jenkins - then go with him as back up ruck)

HB: Salem, McDonald, Garland

C: Howe, Tyson, Lumumba

HF: Kent, Dawes, Brayshaw

F: Garlett, Hogan, Watts

R: Jamar, Jones, Viney

I: Cross, Newton, Michie

Sub: Vince

In: Michie

Out: vandenBerg

Having Viv in gives us an extra midfield rotation - which we desperately need. He has reportedly been in great form in the magoos too. I think we definitely need the back up ruck and unless Dawes does it, Frost needs to be in the side. He has to go back though and play. This in turn means that someone has to leave the back 6 - where I don't mind the idea of freeing Howe up a little bit and playing him on a wing. He can then drift all over the field and use his good marking as a target going out of the backline - plus he can drift back and sit as a loose man if he has to.

The only reason I have vanders out is that he isn't being another rotation through the middle yet - other than that he would be in. Kent is quick and has goal sense - which is something we lack. He has X -factor.

I think Frost either needs to play as the defender he was recruited to be, or go out for a runner.

Dawes plays, but he has to do second ruck duties. No worse of a second ruck than Frost, and he can use his much touted competitiveness in there. The rubber mits he was wearing on Saturday might actually be useful in the ruck also.

B - Jetta, McDonald, Dunn

HB - Salem, Garland, Lumumba

C - Newton Tyson Vince

HF - Howe Dawes Kent

F - Watts Hogan Garlett

R - Jamar Viney Jones

INT - Cross Brayshaw Toumpas

SUB - Vandenberg

OUT: Frost

IN: Toumpas

• Like 1