Dion Prestia

17 hours ago, Mach5 said:

Anyone questioning whether we need Prestia... Didn't Matt Jones plays yesterday?

He did ok, but if he is sneaking into our 22 there is certainly room for Prestia. 

It's absurd isn't it.

As for being a player 'we don't need' because of how many strong inside players we have on our list, it's just utter shite.

Prestia possesses qualities that we lack as well as being a strong inside ball winner which is what makes him so good. He is really skillful and a smart user. 

The more players you have on your list with a really strong blend of both, the better your side.

Just look at Hawthorn.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

This was my exact thought. We have to remember eventually Christian Petracca will turn into that inside bull midfielder along with Oliver Brayshaw Viney Tyson. With also Vandenberg Jones Vince Trengove who all roll through there as well. 

The big thing that killed us on the weekend was the counter attack and outside run of GWS. Bugg was struggling to keep up with Scullys pace and Josh Kelly too was giving them dash and class into their forward 50.

Would Josh Kelly implement our midfield more then Prestia?

we all don't KNOW anything at all until after it's happened.

we cannot bank any of Petracca, Trenners AVB, ANB, Stretch, Bugg, Grimes, MJ, Tyson, Gawn, Kent, Newton, Harmes, even Oliver at this stage.

all talented,  but can they become guns, & can they stay in strong health.

depth is not just having the bases covered...  its about quality of depth.  These guys above,  all have to really prove themselves.  Tyson a very good example of this.  Hogan as well.  etc etc.

53 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Not we should be continuing to stock pile on midfield talent but also balance it out also. I just think for our midfield to go to the next level we need a serious outside classy midfielder to top it off.

Smith and Hill are too who just fit in perfectly at Hawthorn.

Smith and Hill are both cherries on top of the cake and cream.

Their engine is made up of players who are both really strong contested ball winners and are equally as damaging on the outside with their disposal and decision making skills. 

Which is why they've been so dominant. 

I think posters are really confused about Prestia. It's as if everyone thinks he's a pure inside mid who offers little else when in fact he offers our midfield a dimension that we're lacking and which stood out on the weekend against GWS. Running power and efficiency by foot. Prestia has both.

Compare him to someone like Tyson. A player who excels at winning the ball and is creative with his hands but really one-sided, has little running power and is an average field kick. 

We need players who will complement our midfield group and add attributes that we lack. Pace, running power and kicking skills is what we lack through there and Prestia possesses those attributes.

Is it any wonder why over the past couple of years players like Dahlhaus, Jack Steven, Boomer Harvey, Dylan Shiel etc destroy us. We're very much a  one-geared midfield atm.

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, PaulRB said:

To me the question we need to answer, before considering Prestia, is what type of player, position, role do we need to complete the build for a premiership tilt? 

If id answered at half time on Saturday I'd have said outside runners. Other times I might say second ruck/forward? CHB?

No question on Dion's value, but for MFC 2017+ do we need another inside mid? At the moment I think a Sean Burgoyne type would suit us better, though not sure who that might be... 

Premiership tilt? Gimme a spell. The team that played on Saturday had about 10 players who are average footballers. Some play a role and our supporters love them, but the facts are they don't win us many games, and we need an upgrade on them. Our backline is littered with average players, but at least the coaches have identified that by playing Salem, Vince and even N.Jones into defence.

Prestia addresses a need which is quality players. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AdamFarr said:

Our David Hale won't cost us much. I can't see Prestia costing us the farm either. He'll be out of contract and I'd say the offer would be between $450-500. Very doable, given the cap increase. We need more class and ball-winning ability in the midfield. Just because we go after Prestia doesn't mean we won't look to fill the other obvious gaps in our list. 

If we can get Prestia for $450-500k, then we are really, really doing something right and I will stop worry and set up a little shrine to our recruiting team.

Bringing in Jack Redden or Levi Greenwood would cost that much.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Not we should be continuing to stock pile on midfield talent but also balance it out also. I just think for our midfield to go to the next level we need a serious outside classy midfielder to top it off.

Smith and Hill are too who just fit in perfectly at Hawthorn.

I agree that we need more outside class, but if Prestia is interested in coming (I've heard multiple times he's considered it since about 2013), we should go after him and outside class.

33 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

It's absurd isn't it.

As for being a player 'we don't need' because of how many strong inside players we have on our list, it's just utter shite.

Prestia possesses qualities that we lack as well as being a strong inside ball winner which is what makes him so good. He is really skillful and a smart user. 

The more players you have on your list with a really strong blend of both, the better your side.

Just look at Hawthorn.

And he's a goalkicking mid.

• Like 4

Prestia is in the best 5 clearance players in the league. He's also a great linking, running mid and can kick goals. How anyone can say we don't need him, especially when he is likely to be keen to come to us, is beyond me. Must get.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

The fact that people actually still take GNF serious is so so entertaining.

He did get Roos right.

But yeah.

2 hours ago, stevethemanjordan said:

Smith and Hill are both cherries on top of the cake and cream.

Their engine is made up of players who are both really strong contested ball winners and are equally as damaging on the outside with their disposal and decision making skills. 

Which is why they've been so dominant. 

I think posters are really confused about Prestia. It's as if everyone thinks he's a pure inside mid who offers little else when in fact he offers our midfield a dimension that we're lacking and which stood out on the weekend against GWS. Running power and efficiency by foot. Prestia has both.

Compare him to someone like Tyson. A player who excels at winning the ball and is creative with his hands but really one-sided, has little running power and is an average field kick. 

We need players who will complement our midfield group and add attributes that we lack. Pace, running power and kicking skills is what we lack through there and Prestia possesses those attributes.

Is it any wonder why over the past couple of years players like Dahlhaus, Jack Steven, Boomer Harvey, Dylan Shiel etc destroy us. We're very much a  one-geared midfield atm.

2 hours ago, AdamFarr said:

I agree that we need more outside class, but if Prestia is interested in coming (I've heard multiple times he's considered it since about 2013), we should go after him and outside class.

Both fair points.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mach5 said:

Anyone questioning whether we need Prestia... Didn't Matt Jones plays yesterday?

He did ok, but if he is sneaking into our 22 there is certainly room for Prestia. 

Yes, 21 disposals, including 8 contested possessions at 95% disposal efficiency. Perhaps we should be looking at someone else before Jones?

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, CBDees said:

Yes, 21 disposals, including 8 contested possessions at 95% disposal efficiency. Perhaps we should be looking at someone else before Jones?

Jones has been great in 2016 so far. Serviceable. Seems like Roos likes him. He has improved out of site. Could have a 2016 ala Jetta 2014. Liked him a lot so far. Disposal has improved out of site. And one of the club's hardest trainers.

I can't emphasise enough - I love Dion Prestia, I think he is a star of the game and could be a routine All-Australian and all that jazz.

But the recruiting scenario as I see it is 'choose one from list A, or two from list B'. And my preference is to get two from list B if list B means Isaac Smith and Stephen Hill.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, praha said:

Jones has been great in 2016 so far. Serviceable. Seems like Roos likes him. He has improved out of site. Could have a 2016 ala Jetta 2014. Liked him a lot so far. Disposal has improved out of site. And one of the club's hardest trainers.

it's really just the absence of his usual blunders

still don't see him as a premiership player

the sooner Petracca nudges him out the better IMO

• Like 3

A good player is a good player. If Dion is the best available of a crop, we go hard for him.

None of this 'not required' rubbish. Good players are always required.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, praha said:

Settle down Praha, we have played 1 game this season

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Django said:

A good player is a good player. If Dion is the best available of a crop, we go hard for him.

None of this 'not required' rubbish. Good players are always required.

Dion is better than a good player, mate.

• Like 1

On Sunday, March 27, 2016 at 3:27 PM, Middymalt said:

No way that's to much he can earn 500 k a season we have plenty of young talent to take care of first and it's us or GC that's certain .

If Prestia finishes top 3 in the Suns B&F, he will command $600k a year.  I agree it's overs but other Victorian clubs will be into Prestia big time, especially the drug takers at Windy Hill.

ATM we have no A grade gun mids. We might have a couple in 2-3 years from our current list. To become top 4 we need as many as possible, 4 would go a long way to help. Prestia is a bona fide A grader. Should he want to play for the Dees we'd be mad not to throw a very large sum at him. 

• Like 3

If a good player wants to come to your club i reckon you go for it, yes we have some inside mids already but Prestia would be as good as anyone we have, and has plenty of room to develop even further, he's a good leader and he's not a bad outside player either.

i understand the concern about our lack of outside class and polish but i am firmly of the belief that Kennedy, Trengove, Petracca, Watts, N.Jones, M.Jones, Vince and Salem can all play roles that will in time make us very dangerous on the outside.

• Like 1