• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Some Players on Notice in 2015

DeeVoted

Can we not worry about delistings until the end of the year. I agree with most of the names and I'll gladly discuss the merits of them being in the team - be that best 22, round 1 or any other time.

But they aren't going anywhere until October so why the rush?

Spencer needs to win more ruck contests and take grabs around the ground, Terlich and Grimes need to stop turning it over, McKenzie has to find confidence winning the ball, Fitzpatrick has to hold marks because we have better crumbing forwards than a guy who's 6'6 and a terrible field kick.

I get all that. I don't disagree with that. But why the need to discuss delistings?

Death, taxes, and at least 3 delistings.

It's fine to discuss who may make way at the end of the year. You don't have to put up with it if you are not comfortable however.

Excluded from analysis - all first year players and Trengove. Personally I've written the latter off (just as I did with Clark) and I'll be ecstatic if he's able to come back and live up to the potential of his first two seasons, as since he's been average, at best.

I'd argue those on notice are:

Toumpas - has shown very little in two seasons to be enthusiastic about. Is clearly a terrific trainer and has a great attitude, but can he convert it on field?

Watts - see Toumpas, three seasons ago. Is he ever going to move from tantalising to titilating? We all know he has the ability, but I seriously question the desire.

Pedersen - very good in patches last year, he's old for someone who is so relatively inexperienced. Reminds me of the Duke in that he'll do some terrific things and then some seriously dumb things too. His ability to play key forward, key back and in the ruck makes him either a genuine swingman or a spare parts battler. Hoping for the former.

Grimes - love his work ethic, love his attitude but his skills and decision making are notoriously below the level required of a good football side, something we have not been for a long, long time - his entire career in fact. So is he an ordinary player contributing to the ordinariness or a good player playing in an ordinary side?

Garland - I'd actually argue he's the one who'll be putting the club on notice in 2015. As a free agent he'll be able to go wherever he wants come end of season. Given our inability thus far to hold onto free agents - whether we've wanted to or not, the evidence is there that if players have the option to walk on a free they do. Garland will be in demand when the time comes - can play back tall or small, provides run and can pinch hit up forward, and has (relative) youth on his side.

• Like 1

I was quite surprised to notice that Jayden Hunt had put on a bit of size when I watched training a few weeks ago.

He looks like a second year player now, so his frame shouldn't hold him back anymore. He was in the rehab group however.

Slight back twinge a couple of weeks ago, so no contact work. Should be right very soon.

• Like 1

Excluded from analysis - all first year players and Trengove. Personally I've written the latter off (just as I did with Clark) and I'll be ecstatic if he's able to come back and live up to the potential of his first two seasons, as since he's been average, at best.

I'd argue those on notice are:

Toumpas - has shown very little in two seasons to be enthusiastic about. Is clearly a terrific trainer and has a great attitude, but can he convert it on field?

Watts - see Toumpas, three seasons ago. Is he ever going to move from tantalising to titilating? We all know he has the ability, but I seriously question the desire.

Pedersen - very good in patches last year, he's old for someone who is so relatively inexperienced. Reminds me of the Duke in that he'll do some terrific things and then some seriously dumb things too. His ability to play key forward, key back and in the ruck makes him either a genuine swingman or a spare parts battler. Hoping for the former.

Grimes - love his work ethic, love his attitude but his skills and decision making are notoriously below the level required of a good football side, something we have not been for a long, long time - his entire career in fact. So is he an ordinary player contributing to the ordinariness or a good player playing in an ordinary side?

Garland - I'd actually argue he's the one who'll be putting the club on notice in 2015. As a free agent he'll be able to go wherever he wants come end of season. Given our inability thus far to hold onto free agents - whether we've wanted to or not, the evidence is there that if players have the option to walk on a free they do. Garland will be in demand when the time comes - can play back tall or small, provides run and can pinch hit up forward, and has (relative) youth on his side.

Toumpas coming into his 3rd season, would expect a big lift this year but hardly on notice.

Watts playing serviceable to good footy, not the star we hoped for but again hardly on notice.

Pedersen offers a lot as a depth player as a back, forward or pinch hitter in the ruck. He will hang in because of his versatility.

Grimes I think will have a good year.

Garland if not signed early could well be our Levi Greenwood at the end of the year. Sign him up early Roosy before he pushes the price up.

• Like 1

The whole list is under the pump.

Those that show skill & improvement will probably make it.

No other team bar maybe Fitzroy has been to a lower place than the MFC in the last 10 years.

How about Richmond?

They only broke there 12 years finals drought in 2013, the list won't win a grand final.

Wow a thread about players on notice and we get to post #27 before DA brings up Watts, tenth in our B&F in 2014. I would hardly say that a player in our top 25% is "on notice", particularly when his nemesis in Natanui was ninth on West Coast's B&F the same year (and, after all, that is who he is usually compared against)!

• Like 2

Agree. But the MFC was in a much darker place than even 9thmond...

Lineball call there WYL. If you go back to 1990, the bank was threatening to seize their 73/74 premiership cups as collateral in case they couldn't pay their bills. Kevin Bartlett was told specifically that he couldn't recruit players like Russell Morris and Tim Pekin as they cost too much. He even had to pay for speed balls and weights out of his own pocket as the club didn't have the money to buy them themselves.

As a kid, I didn't realize until 1995 that Richmond had as big a support base as it does because I was used to the club as it was post the wreckage of the Graham Richmond/Ian Wilson era.

There is a difference between "players on notice" and players who are tradeable or become free agents. Players on notice would be those whose life at the club or the AFL in general would be dependent on how they perform this year. IMO, they would be the following:

McKenzie - One dimensional role player with no offensive skills. No other club would pick up if delisted.

Terlich - Can find the footy, but poor disposal and option taking is a cardinal sin for a backman in the modern game. Doubt that another club would pick up if delisted.

Spencer - Not up to AFL standard. Won't get picked up by another club.

Fitzpatrick - Unless he can develop as a ruckman, he may get cut, as he is not a KPF. Another club will probably take a chance with him.

M.Jones - Will be a starter in Round 1, but if he loses his place during the year to one of the younger mids (Stretch, ANB, Brayshaw, JKH, Toumpas), he may struggle to retain a place on the list. Personally, I'd keep him, but it'd be line ball. Doubt that another club would pick up if delisted.

Grimes, Watts, Garland and Toumpas may be on notice for a position in our 22, but all have currency and would be picked up by another club.

• Like 2

For me players who are on the edge, Fitzpatrick, Garland, Michie(hate to say it) Toumpas(hate to say it) Watts, Mckenzie. This is judged from what u have seen on game day, nothing else

Michie? He was given very little opportunity after breaking his jaw. His last 4 games last year saw him rated in the best 5. I thought he was stiff to be dropped after the Weagles belting in round two when two blokes with a combined career of 4 games seemed to be held solely responsible for the shellacking as they were the only ones dropped. In that game he had his eyelid split in the first minute and played the game out without one of his contacts in and 4 stitches. Did not surface again last 4 games where he acquitted himself very well, thought his North game was terrific when he blanketed Norths eventual B&F winner. I think he will be a starter in the first game. Shows he can get the pill and more importantly is very effective/efficient with it at around 85%. He just is not a flashy player but more one of the foot soldiers that every team needs. He is barely noticed but accumulates possessions which usually result in another down the line to one of the others in the team. There seems to be little love for Viv on this site which confuses me given little can be pointed at him in regard to failures.

• Like 7

Michie? He was given very little opportunity after breaking his jaw. His last 4 games last year saw him rated in the best 5. I thought he was stiff to be dropped after the Weagles belting in round two when two blokes with a combined career of 4 games seemed to be held solely responsible for the shellacking as they were the only ones dropped. In that game he had his eyelid split in the first minute and played the game out without one of his contacts in and 4 stitches. Did not surface again last 4 games where he acquitted himself very well, thought his North game was terrific when he blanketed Norths eventual B&F winner. I think he will be a starter in the first game. Shows he can get the pill and more importantly is very effective/efficient with it at around 85%. He just is not a flashy player but more one of the foot soldiers that every team needs. He is barely noticed but accumulates possessions which usually result in another down the line to one of the others in the team. There seems to be little love for Viv on this site which confuses me given little can be pointed at him in regard to failures.

I know you are close to Viv 'Samael' but I think there are many who can see the upside. You will always get the doubters.

This is a big year for Viv to establish himself as an AFL player, I wouldn't have him on notice but I'm sure he will want to break into the regular 22.

Edited by rjay

Lineball call there WYL. If you go back to 1990, the bank was threatening to seize their 73/74 premiership cups as collateral in case they couldn't pay their bills. Kevin Bartlett was told specifically that he couldn't recruit players like Russell Morris and Tim Pekin as they cost too much. He even had to pay for speed balls and weights out of his own pocket as the club didn't have the money to buy them themselves.

As a kid, I didn't realize until 1995 that Richmond had as big a support base as it does because I was used to the club as it was post the wreckage of the Graham Richmond/Ian Wilson era.

They were in dire straits yes...

And guess who was the CEO at the time....

• Like 1

They were in dire straits yes...

And guess who was the CEO at the time....

I was going to go there WYL but pulled back at the last minute....

Wait a minute. I guess I just did go there. Silly me.

There is a difference between "players on notice" and players who are tradeable or become free agents. Players on notice would be those whose life at the club or the AFL in general would be dependent on how they perform this year. IMO, they would be the following:

Well done, exactly the basis of this thread. It's not about who WILL, but who MIGHT have to go, and who has fallen behind or hasnt yet lived up to expectations and has been on the list for awhile.

Edited by DeeVoted

I would be adding Max King to the list of blokes who are on notice.

Gee tough crowd here. Kingy only got here last year. Pencil being one of the crowd favourites to improve or out, and Fitzpatrick needing to show he is up to it.

I thought King would be a player to give more time. He is well balanced and kicks well, his downfall at the moment is injured every 2nd day. He also needs to bulk up, but I would give him more time.

Edited by DeeVoted