• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Jeff Garlett - What's the story?

Curry & Beer

I am hoping someone can help me clarify what the situation is with this player, as it doesn't seem to add up, and I wonder why he seems to have been completely forgotten by the AFL community. So we got him for pick 61, which seems to be an absolute bargain, given the player has demonstrated four consecutive, consistent seasons as an effective small forward, and at 25, is just entering his football prime. Here are his career games/goals.

2014 Carlton 9 12
2013 Carlton 22 43
2012 Carlton 22 29
2011 Carlton 24 48
2010 Carlton 20 39
2009 Carlton 10 12
Career 107 183

What happened in 2014? I read somewhere he had a shoulder injury - can anyone confirm this? In any case it does not seem to be some sort of chronic injury that would reduce his value in the market - furthermore he certainly does not have a history of injury issues, hardly missing a game for four seasons in a row prior. Can anyone comment on him having a big drop-off in form in 2014? If this was the case, why, at 24, would a player suddenly lose his form? Is it all being put down to off-field issues?

Apparently he played 12 games in the VFL (for only 7 goals) which would mean a total of 21 games for the year and therefore practically no issues with injury at all. Again, I wonder what caused such a huge drop-off in form?

http://sportingpulse.com/nfnn/team_info.cgi?action=PSTATS&pID=194532036&client=1-118-10464-294689-20320225

Now, can anybody speculate on what the consequences might be with his legal troubles - should we assume there is no outcome unforseen by the MFC and therefore no reason to suggest he won't be available to play?

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/trio-who-bashed-afl-footballers-jeff-garlett-and-mitch-robinson-spared-jail-20150107-12jn1b.html

"Liep Kuel, Abram Hothnyang and Emmanuel Golong were on Wednesday issued with convictions and community corrections orders for their part in the fight on August 3 last year, which left the then Carlton players with head injuries."

"Mr Garlett was also charged along with his brother, Gerald, and another friend. They are due to appear in court in March."

Now, are we being told that this incident is the sole reason for him being kicked out of Carlton? To me something doesn't add up - there should have been more clubs other than us and Essendon who were keen on him - why did the other 15 clubs stay away? Is this a 'no dheads' policy, that the MFC are prepared to risk?

"The Blues made it clear they wanted to trade the 25-year-old at the end of the season after he failed to tell the club he was involved in an altercation outside a Melbourne nightclub."

Moving forward, we have a 25 year old player with no injury history and a proven record of quality. Why the drop-off in form? How impotant are his off-field issues? Why did we get him so cheap with so few clubs interested?

• Like 1

It's a good question 'C&B', it seems he was offside with the coach for one thing and there seemed to be a bit of talk of off field issues whatever they were.

Let's just hope he is settled now and continues on from his 2013 form and that 2014 was an anomaly.

Malthouse wants all players too have defensive side to game.

This is the primary focus on judgement of the player,and overrides attack and style.

Unfortunately for jeffy is the fact is his defensive is the occassional rundown tackle at best.

Very unsuitable for Mick.

So out the door you go.

Malthouse wants all players too have defensive side to game.

This is the primary focus on judgement of the player,and overrides attack and style.

Unfortunately for jeffy is the fact is his defensive is the occassional rundown tackle at best.

Very unsuitable for Mick.

So out the door you go.

As opposed to Roos? Doesn't make sense.

• Like 1

Was mates with Robinson, they got into trouble and weren't exactly forthcoming to the club about their involvement.

Club said "ta ta" to both.

this was the absolute final straw. There had been problems all year..Don't forget he had spent time in the Bullants team

Roosy loves a 25 year old who needs a fresh start.

• Like 2

From the outside Mick seems to have favourites ala Daisy and outsiders ala Garlett. Roos on the other hand seems to not let his personal feelings affect his assessment of a player and will work hard to get the best out of them. Having said that I would bet Roos told Garlett to pull his head in or he will be in the VFL again and may have put some 'behaviour' clauses in his contract.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2

From the outside Mick seems to have favourites ala Daisy and outsiders ala Garlett. Roos on the other hand seems to not let his personal feelings affect his assessment of a player and will work hard to get the best out of them. Having said that I would bet Roos told Garlett to pull his head in or he will be in the VFL again and may have put some 'behaviour' clauses in his contract.

Daisy on 700k over 4 years, can't help but laugh.
  • Like 2

Ro'os needed 30 more goals out of a disfunctional forward line.

He also needed b grade deals to be done.

It was on the table.so he took it,{yes i understand the defensive bit]

• Like 1

So do i,but not many in the Beech Forest pub on a saturday night.

• Like 5

So do i,but not many in the Beech Forest pub on a saturday night.

Try showering.

It really helps if you are on the pull.

• Like 1

Malthouse.

They don't like him.

come on man that's a weak throwaway line that makes no sense.

Malthouse has been senior coach of 4 AFL clubs over 28 consecutive years for 3 premierships. If there was some problem with his relationship with players he obviously would have crashed and burned long ago

• Like 2

come on man that's a weak throwaway line that makes no sense.

Malthouse has been senior coach of 4 AFL clubs over 28 consecutive years for 3 premierships. If there was some problem with his relationship with players he obviously would have crashed and burned long ago

He may have changed with the years of course.

He seemed to be in a good head space yesterday.

At one stage he took on the Ruckmen in a bit of driving tackle practice, I don't think he moved them much.

All having a good laugh about it.

The training is obviously not his most favourite thing to do but nor was it for Davey. If we can get some of those match winning qualities out of him that's worth the punt.

Paul Roos 2002-2010 Sydney Swans

2002 - traded pick 23 for Nick Davis(Collingwood)

2003- no trades

2004 - traded pick 15 for Darren Jolly(Melbourne)

2005 - traded picks 19 & 50 for Ted Richards(Essendon)

2006 - traded pick 33 for Spider Everitt(Hawthown)

2007 - traded picks 28 for Marty Matner(Adelaide) and 44 for Henry Playfair(Geelong)

2008 - traded pick 46 for Rhys Shaw and pick 61(Collingwood)

2009 - traded picks 39, 46 and 70 for Ben McGlynn and Josh Kennedy(Hawthorn, possibly trade of the decade) pick 28 for Shane Mumford(Geelong) and a three way trade which saw Sydney get Mark Seaby, Amon Buchanan to the Lions and a swapping of picks.

2010 - pretty sure Longmire takes the raines at this point.

2013 - traded picks 2 & 20 for pick 9(Salem) and Dom Tyson(GWS) pick 54 for Michie(Freo) pick 23 for Bernie Vince(Adelaide)

2014 - traded Mitch Clark for H(effectively that's how it happened) picks 61 & 79 for Jeff Garlett(Carlton) pick 23 for Sam Frost(GWS) and picks 40(ANB) and 53(Oscar McDonald)

Trading is an artform and Roos is possibly the best in the business. The trades from his time in Sydney turned some of the players looking for a fresh start (some on the scrap heap) into premiership players and All Australians. (Note some may of achieved after Roos had left but we're traded to the club by him).

Edited by Al's Demons
  • Like 11

2013 - traded picks 2 & 20 for pick 9(Salem) and Dom Tyson(GWS) pick 54 for Michie(Freo) pick 23 for Bernie Vince(Adelaide)

2014 - traded Mitch Clark for H(effectively that's how it happened) picks 61 & 79 for Jeff Garlett(Carlton) pick 23 for Sam Frost(GWS) and picks 40(ANB) and 53(Oscar McDonald)

Trading is an artform and Roos is possibly the best in the business. The trades from his time in Sydney turned some of the (players looking for a fresh start (some on the scrap heap) into premiership players and All Australians. (Note some may of achieved after Roos had left but we're traded to the club by him).

Great summary!

I wonder how much of the decision can be attributed squarely on the coach, and how much goes to the recruiting team??

Also, would it change (increase in favor of coaches input) if its not a kid but a payer from another team?