• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Patrick Dangerfield

Demonsterative

The snowball effect on Demonland is ridiculous.

A couple of people come out with 'my mate reckons he's off to Geelong' and now people are wallowing in pity as if it's fact.

The only facts I've heard are what has come directly from the Crows and directly from us - they are open to trading him, we are open to trading for him. We have the goods to give Adelaide the best deal possible, as well as the most money to Paddy himself. I'm quite content to go with what these facts infer - we are still a very good chance of getting Dangerfield to the Demons.

• Like 1

Is this the same guy who said he saw Balme driving down the Geelong Hwy with Danger in the passenger seat and Chip in the boot?

I'm telling you right now -- Balme has met with Dangerfield.

I can also tell you that I've not heard about them having "secured" his services, but as I said a few days ago, they were very excited that he is committed to coming home.

Again, I think it's culminating in a move this year, and we have the best assets this year to get him, unless stars start changing hands.

I think we've reached the point of no return for Dangerfield.

He just needs a little bit of time to realise it.

• Like 3

The snowball effect on Demonland is ridiculous.

A couple of people come out with 'my mate reckons he's off to Geelong' and now people are wallowing in pity as if it's fact.

The only facts I've heard are what has come directly from the Crows and directly from us - they are open to trading him, we are open to trading for him. We have the goods to give Adelaide the best deal possible, as well as the most money to Paddy himself. I'm quite content to go with what these facts infer - we are still a very good chance of getting Dangerfield to the Demons.

There's a reason this is all being discussed publicly now.

Ease them into the idea. Make it too hard to go backwards.

Momentum building.

It'll become a self-fulfilling prophecy if we play it right.

I have faith in PJ & Roos to do that.

And if it falls flat, I have faith in their ability to still get a good result for the club some other way.

Not blind faith, but their track record is bloody good.

• Like 1

This is how I see things:

1. Dangerfield appears more likely than not to leave the crows.

2. More likely that Dangerfield leaves this year rather than next.

3. Melbourne have the best hand in terms of picks to satisfy Adelaide.

4. Melbourne not Dangerfield's preferred destination but we're not as far down the list as we often are given the Roos, Goodwin, Vince factor.

5. If Dangerfield commits to talking to other clubs it's likely that relations will sour further with Adelaide.

6. If Dangerfield's preferred destination/s can't come anywhere what we can offer, negotiations may break down.

7. If negotiations break down, Dangerfield may feel he's gone too far down the path of leaving and therefore can't back down. Melbourne might then have an opportunity to swoop.

• Like 4

You know that is not feasible.

If a player doesn't want to go to a club when he has a contract with another club, he is entitled to dig his heels in.

What I know is draft, free agency and salary cap regulated sports.

The AFL is now a member of all three regulations now - and is, by an embarrassing distance, the worst run.

There is no room in those sports for players to stop trades unless they have a 'No Trade Clause' in their contract. An NBA, NFL, and MLB player can be traded without their consent, just as kids in the AFL are drafted to clubs without their consent.

Darren Jarman once did what was reasonable and refused to come the club that picked him in the draft - the Demons.

Soon, the same will be said of players who refused trades - it will be a thing of the past.

You simply cannot run a competitive league with the rules set up the way they are now.

Free Agency is not the problem - the half baked regulations and rules of the AFL salary and player movement infrastructure is the problem.

• Like 2

Here is an anecdote (or an antidote...):

A couple of years ago, one of the best players in the NBA was traded to the LA Lakers, a perennial finalist and mythological franchise, in a deal that was passable from the standpoint of the club losing said player.

However, NBA Head Office stepped in and nixed the trade.

They said publically that the deal was not good enough for the club losing the player. However, a few weeks later a deal was struck with the LA Clippers, a perennial basket case, for that player to go there and change the dynamic of the league and Los Angeles Basketball in general.

If Gillon cares about his league that he is running (into the ground), then he will take note of the ancillary powers at his disposal...

• Like 3

Danger to the Dees would be one of the bigges coup's in the AFLs history

And for that reason I can't see it happening - Why would Danger (apart from Vince and Goodwin factors whic is something but not as big as a lot make out to be) want to come to this basket case? I know we're better off field then we have been for years but onfield there is still a lot of work to do.

If he leaves the Crows - which I am not even sure why he's in a big rush to do so, he can walk next year anyway and go to whatever club he wants..... Why bother with trying to get a trade done....

Here is an anecdote (or an antidote...):

A couple of years ago, one of the best players in the NBA was traded to the LA Lakers, a perennial finalist and mythological franchise, in a deal that was passable from the standpoint of the club losing said player.

However, NBA Head Office stepped in and nixed the trade.

They said publically that the deal was not good enough for the club losing the player. However, a few weeks later a deal was struck with the LA Clippers, a perennial basket case, for that player to go there and change the dynamic of the league and Los Angeles Basketball in general.

If Gillon cares about his league that he is running (into the ground), then he will take note of the ancillary powers at his disposal...

You're referring to "basketball reasons", one of the biggest disgraces in US sports history, and an absolute stain on Stern's legacy. All New Orleans were able to achieve with the trade with the Clippers was helping them become the worst team in the league and earn the #1 pick as mediocrity is death in the NBA. It was less about getting New Orleans good players (the Lakers were sending them all-stars Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom as part of the deal), but pandering to whining owners lamenting that the Lakers had been able to pull off another major deal just after the lockout ended. If that slop ever happened here I'd be filthy.

Importantly, NBA teams are privately owned. New Orleans at the time couldn't attract an owner, so the league was looking after them. Lakers coach Phil Jackson expressed concern over their conflict of interest 12 months before the nixed trade, to no avail. So it's a murky situation that is unlikely to be repeated.

Edited by pantaloons

To me if he wants out there are only three clubs that will be in any position to offer Adelaide what they would want.

St Kilda Pick 1 and most likely second round pick

Melbourne Pick 2 and second round pick or Pick 2 and Three(based on MFC getting this) and a swap of later picks for Danger and Crows first round pick

Western Bulldogs Pick 5 and 6(based on getting this pick for Higgins) and swap of picks later in the draft

All three clubs have the money, it would be just getting him to commit. Once he does any of these three clubs will be able to meet Adelaides needs

This is how I see things:

1. Dangerfield appears more likely than not to leave the crows.

2. More likely that Dangerfield leaves this year rather than next.

3. Melbourne have the best hand in terms of picks to satisfy Adelaide.

4. Melbourne not Dangerfield's preferred destination but we're not as far down the list as we often are given the Roos, Goodwin, Vince factor.

5. If Dangerfield commits to talking to other clubs it's likely that relations will sour further with Adelaide.

6. If Dangerfield's preferred destination/s can't come anywhere what we can offer, negotiations may break down.

7. If negotiations break down, Dangerfield may feel he's gone too far down the path of leaving and therefore can't back down. Melbourne might then have an opportunity to swoop.

The way I see it is that all 3 parties have now discussed the potential for a trade in the media. They are slowly softening the blow to the fans in Adelaide that he is leaving. I would assume that the deal has been approved in principle by both clubs. There is no other reason for strategic leaking of information like this, if Adelaide weren't open to trading him they would deny any rumour of a trade. It's now up to PD to decide whether he would like to come to the MFC & for the MFC to convince him as GNF has mentioned already. Perhaps this is going to be played out in the media much the same as Roos did when he decided to coach the MFC. That's my take anyway.

• Like 1

To me if he wants out there are only three clubs that will be in any position to offer Adelaide what they would want.

Melbourne Pick 2 and second round pick or Pick 2 and Three(based on MFC getting this) and a swap of later picks for Danger and Crows first round pick

Western Bulldogs Pick 5 and 6(based on getting this pick for Higgins) and swap of picks later in the draft

All three clubs have the money, it would be just getting him to commit. Once he does any of these three clubs will be able to meet Adelaides needs

So basically hed be choosing Brendan McCartney or Alan Richardson or the Paul Roos/Goodwin partnership

If I was a player I know where Id be heading

Edited by hogans_heroes

Basically choosing between Brendan McCartney, Alan Richardson or the Paul Roos/Goodwin partnership

If I was a player I know where Id be heading

Yes but that is based on the assumption that Danger is so desperate to leave the Crows he'll go to any of the Dees/Dogs/Saints. When he can wait it out see what happens at the Crows then walk to any club he wants

IT don't make sense

THe only other factor is if the Crows want to trade Danger to get max Compo - Can anyone confirm do players have a clause in their contract that they have to agree to a trade

So we're really back to Danger saying no I don't want to got to club A B C I'll wait to 2015 and walk to club D

I love the idea of Danger at the Dees but surely it's a very long shot

Edited by Unleash Hell

Welcome aboard TH.

please note: you won't be taken seriously until you've posted 10,000 times.

Dangerfield to the Hawks is my tip,

Ah, equalisation working beautifully.

Surely Higgins couldn't be getting offers that would attract that kind of compensation. We'll be lucky to get that band 1 compensation for Frawley and that's only because it looks to be turning into a bidding war.