Patrick Dangerfield

Demonsterative

Clearly, by the look on his face after the final siren, Danger is gone.

Let's live in hope and possibly even delusion, by thinking he's on his way to the Dee's.

Edited by McQueen
  • Like 6

If he took our past out of the equation, and just looked at the future (chance of success and $$$), the we'd have to be a small chance of appealing to him. I guess it's pretty hard to ignore the past and our club's losing culture though. Logic says we will miss out. OR he will come to us and we'll still be [censored].

They (fox) were already shaking brad/chris scotts hand, who happens to be on their panel tonight, congratulating him on the danger pick up. This virtually within minutes of the game finishing, pretty dang disrespectful.

I know its always been pure speculation but with the amount of general acceptance the media has, i honestly have no idea how anyone thinks there's any alternative then dangers homecoming to geelong/moggs.

Obviously there's the alternative that nothing is official til its signed in trade season, but need some riddles or something to try to keep this pipe dream somewhat a light

Fox were saying they thought Geelong were into him from last Oct.

IMO it's a pipe dream for him to come to the Dees.

Still shitzs me off if he goes to the cats.

My Dawks friends say he is headed to them!

So Geelong are fresh off three flags, and now they will likely land a top 5 player without giving up anything in return

Welcome to the new AFL, where equalization does not exist and the rich get richer like never before

• Like 7

Dangerfield to Geelong is signed, sealed and delivered.

Was told after tonight's match by a fairly senior figure from the Cats. Immediately wanted to punch him; equalisation my ass.

The moment the top teams drop out of the 8 for so much as a single season, they'll just pull in the best players for zilch. Get used to Hawthorn at the top because as soon as Hodge, Mitchell and Lewis retire, there'll be 3 superstar free agents to fill the gaps (and a huge salary hole that'll allow it).

• Like 2

Danger will obviously be a huge boost to any club, but I don't think his acquisition is going to prevent a Cats slide. We are still yet to see how they handle the ar$e falling out of their list and relying on largely youngsters, most of whom i wouldn't rate anywhere near as promising as ours.

• Like 3

lets wait and see when he confirms its Geelong first , so far i haven't seen that. I am sure he will though

Then the Crows can match the offer , then look for trades , he won't have a choice of which club then , well he does but its off the to PSD

or a club like melbourne can offer way better picks than Geelong , who knows whats has been going on behind closed doors , think of Nick Stevens .... what was the deal with bulldogs and hawthorn a few years ago .... the Vale deal

Edited by markc
  • Like 1

The reason Adelaide would match the offer would be to receive better compensation from Geelong than they would from the AFL if they simply let him walk. If they didn't match, the highest compensation pick they could possibly get would be 13th, and that's assuming no priority picks to Brisbane or Carlton, as well as no top band compensation for any clubs below them on the ladder. It's much more likely that they would receive a pick ~16th for him, which is far less than they would be able to get if they trade for him. I'm certain that Geelong will part with their first round pick (higher than 16) for Danger, and it's possible that the Crows may be able to get even more out of them.

End scenario: Danger reaches the Cats; Adelaide receives a better deal from Cats than they would by accepting the AFL's free agency compensation.

• Like 3

The reason Adelaide would match the offer would be to receive better compensation from Geelong than they would from the AFL if they simply let him walk. If they didn't match, the highest compensation pick they could possibly get would be 13th, and that's assuming no priority picks to Brisbane or Carlton, as well as no top band compensation for any clubs below them on the ladder. It's much more likely that they would receive a pick ~16th for him, which is far less than they would be able to get if they trade for him. I'm certain that Geelong will part with their first round pick (higher than 16) for Danger, and it's possible that the Crows may be able to get even more out of them.

End scenario: Danger reaches the Cats; Adelaide receives a better deal from Cats than they would by accepting the AFL's free agency compensation.

I think you have it.

Cats give a better pick to Crows than compo pick and probably throw in a player or two and/or another pick.

Spot-on GTG.

Dangerfield to Geelong is signed, sealed and delivered.

Was told after tonight's match by a fairly senior figure from the Cats. Immediately wanted to punch him; equalisation my ass.

The moment the top teams drop out of the 8 for so much as a single season, they'll just pull in the best players for zilch. Get used to Hawthorn at the top because as soon as Hodge, Mitchell and Lewis retire, there'll be 3 superstar free agents to fill the gaps (and a huge salary hole that'll allow it).

It's pretty ridiculous, free agency was brought in for players who are push into early retirement to give them a chance to play on at another club which in the sense it has worked.

The ridiculous part is the inflation of prices the top end players are able to get now, plus how easier it is for a top 8 club to stay a top 8 club for a number of years by picking up the best players without giving up a draft pick.

This was the exact reason the draft was set up in the first play so once clubs had been up the top for 10 years they would have to go to the bottom of the ladder and rebuild from the draft.

The reality is compensation picks are the only way to keep the system in shape with out it getting to out of hand.

• Like 2

Adelaide has had a pretty bad run, Sydney took Tippet off them for nothing, they couldnt go to the darft for 2 years, there coach gets killed half way through the season and now Geelong is taking there best player off them for nothing.

All this happened in the past 2 years and they are still higher then up in the ladder.