Mad Monday!

Coup Cooper

geelong do it well. just like on the field we are also no good off it. Im sorry but why would you want to dress up as a convicted child sex offender?

Geelong have done Ricky Nixon (40odd) and Kim Duthie (16) as well as a Priest and a school kid.

Similar takes on the same distasteful joke but at some stage I think people need to think if they were truly offended or just jumping on the moral outrage train.

• Like 2

No doubt about it, this is an issue that is almost requiring of a Royal Commission.

Certainly one for new CEO McLachlin to sink his teeth into.

Edited by Return to Glory
  • Like 1

Child rape jokes never really seem funny to me. I guess I'm a little odd that way.

I'm content to file this under 'idiot boofheads who lack a meaningful grasp of what they're doing'.

But it is still important to note that, yeah, that really wasn't ok you dumbarses.

Unfortunate because it seems a lot of good effort, and even thought, went into the rest of the gear.

• Like 10

Dressing up as the convicted child abuser Rolf Harris and a young girl, presumably meant to represent one of his many tragic victims, represents an appalling error of judgement by Terlich and Georgiou.

I also cannot believe that other players, particularly the senior players, who did not take one look at the moronic duo and kick them out of the function.

And now I read on Demonland that it is political correctness gone mad to call them out for their moronic and offensive behaviour.

Rolf Harris destroyed the lives of many teenage girls. How anyone can find humour in that beggars belief.

Tom Potter

• Like 13

I thought I was the only one who thought that was pretty poor taste.
We shouldn't look to footballers as bastions of morality but nor should they be exempt to the standards we hold for the rest of society.
I am sure that if I turned up at my end of year do looking like that (if it were a costume party), my boss would have more than a few words to me.

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert

I'm sure Rolf Harris is the butt of their joke. They're laughing at him, not glorifying him, and it's the typical self depreciating humor move of dressing up as some seriously dastardly figure and acting like an [censored]. No big deal.

Agree. Do those who are outraged think the players should have made fun of a saint instead?

• Like 1

Child rape jokes never really seem funny to me. I guess I'm a little odd that way.

I'm content to file this under 'idiot boofheads who lack a meaningful grasp of what they're doing'.

But it is still important to note that, yeah, that really wasn't ok you dumbarses.

Unfortunate because it seems a lot of good effort, and even thought, went into the rest of the gear.

Thank you, posted my thoughts exactly. Like you I'm happy just to dismiss it as thoughtless stupidity, but I still shake my head that, when faced with literally unlimited choice for costume, you'd choose to make light of a convicted paedophile.

• Like 5

People who think this is an example of political correctness 'gone mad' don't understand that concept.

Political correctness suggests the imposition of ideas or values that transform what was once an acceptable act into something that is now taboo or outdated - banning Christmas celebrations for fear of offending other religions.

We're not under some sort of intellectual assault against jokes about paedophilia. It's just never been funny.

• Like 5

Seems there's probably a touch more bitterness about Frawley in the playing group than we might think...

was Frawley there??

People who think this is an example of political correctness 'gone mad' don't understand that concept.

Political correctness suggests the imposition of ideas or values that transform what was once an acceptable act into something that is now taboo or outdated - banning Christmas celebrations for fear of offending other religions.

We're not under some sort of intellectual assault against jokes about paedophilia. It's just never been funny.

Originally political correctness was defined as adapting particular terms so as to make them more accessible to all members of society. For example, the word 'chairman' was changed to 'chairperson'.

Now, it's been morphed, in some people's minds, into some kind of Stalinesque enforcement of a leftist concept of morality.

What some people don't understand is that while we have a right to free speech, we also have a responsibility to receive it.

These blokes are now carrying out the responsibility side of that equation just mentioned earlier. They are copping plenty for their error in judgement and, I believe, rightly so.

It's not a hanging offence but it is bloody slack.

For heaven's sake.

If anything they are taking the [censored] out of Harris. Anyone would think they wore a sign reading "I love peadophiles".

If they get anything more than a quiet word in the ear, it's massive overkill.

Edited by P-man
  • Like 7

Aside from offending a few people I really don't see the harm in this.

As a society we have accepted and continue to support institutions that have systematically abused children, obstructed legal investigations and used legal structures and aggressive tactics to silence victims while saying football players should be put on a pedestal.

Rather than write about what some 24 year old footy players did on their muck up day we should focus on holding to account the people who abuse kids. This is political correctness gone mad.

• Like 7

I think the issue is that we (society) focus more energy on complaining about satire while real crimes are being committed. Sure the Rolf Harris / Schoolgirl costume might not have been the most socially acceptable choice but lets not pretend it is anywhere on the child abuse spectrum. At worst it may offend a few people.

I take much greater issue with the way Kim Duthie was treated by the St Kilda FC players, club, Ricky Nixon and general public yet she recieved little sympathy from society.

We would be a better society if we could laugh at footy players dressed as Rolf and a School girl while showing care and compassion for people in a fragile state

state.

I'm content to file this under '[censored] boofheads who lack a meaningful grasp of what they're doing'.

But the jokes about paedophiles which is why it's funny and is ok.

Just like Viv Michie's joke is not about glassing people which is despicable but about Red Foo which is funny.

I understand why people don't like it. I understand it has the potential to upset Rolf Harris' victims. But at the same time I think others would see a once popular celebrity being reduced to a cheap joke, which is more than he deserves.

What I don't like is not those who are genuinely upset. But those who see AFL and Mad Monday and jump to conclusions about players behaving badly

• Like 2

the ability to laugh at ourselves & at our woes, is one of the abilities which help us to be humble & accepting; taking ourselves too seriously just keeps on adding more & more intensity to a painful experience.

Yes victims need validation, but to lose the sense of humour which can relieve the tensions is wrong.

• Like 2