GOODBYE MITCH CLARK

which indicates that he is going. If he wasnt there never would have been speculation of another club which his manager started by suggesting that he wasnt necessarily returning to the demons. Or by talking to the pies before we were even aware he was coming out of 'retirement'

He's probably off, yeah, but people are too eager to grab their pitch forks based on rumour and innuendo. I'd be waiting for confirmation before I start sprouting off abuse at people. (certainly not saying you're one of those though, mate)
  • Like 1

He's probably off, yeah, but people are too eager to grab their pitch forks based on rumour and innuendo. I'd be waiting for confirmation before I start sprouting off abuse at people. (certainly not saying you're one of those though, mate)

I read with glee the twitter feeds and footy forum posts calling Martin everything under the sun this time last year. And then he re-signed. I'm not saying this is the same (or that the vitriol has reached those appalling levels) but until ink hits paper anything can happen (especially with Mitch).

• Like 1

I'm utterly sick of this doctor's orders bollocks being bandied around.

I don't care where he goes - collingwood, Geelong, Timbuktu - the fact of the matter is that a player who was just about our best player and certainly most highly rewarded and regarded player last time he was injury free has abandoned us and we're getting so very little for him.

It's not like he's leaving for 'home' of wa either or another unsuccessful club in need of a a key forward - he's going to a powerhouse.

Being a feeder club sucks.

• Like 6

I'm utterly sick of this doctor's orders bollocks being bandied around.

I don't care where he goes - collingwood, Geelong, Timbuktu - the fact of the matter is that a player who was just about our best player and certainly most highly rewarded and regarded player last time he was injury free has abandoned us and we're getting so very little for him.

It's not like he's leaving for 'home' of wa either or another unsuccessful club in need of a a key forward - he's going to a powerhouse.

Being a feeder club sucks.

You'd hope that PJ will be using that. 'Special assistance' could appear as more compensation for Clark than has been touted.

A good player in their mid twenties or younger who is in their best 22.

Motlop, Duncan or Christensen please.

However, they're far more likely to offer up Smedts, at best, or their third or fourth round pick.

Whilst Mitch had the capability to be a star, again, his value is ridiculously low.

It's why we are likely to get far less for him than he's worth to us, which is what makes me so angry that we are going to lose him for way unders.

• Like 1

I reckon George Horlin-Smith is a player we could realistically target, and a potential win-win for both clubs. He'd probably be behind the likes of Duncan, Motlop and Christensen at the Cattery and given their wealth of talented mids, they just might be prepared do a deal for Clark. A fit and firing Clark would be a huge asset to their KPF / ruck stocks and immediately advance their premiership chances.

This has probably been covered but can Clark be a Delisted Free Agent if a trade cannot be found (assuming Melbourne will delist him as has been agreed)? If so any bargaining power Melbourne has is out the window.

From this list posted on the club website, it looks like he is still on the list until traded or delisted:

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2014-09-29/melbournes-2015-list

I think if Clark goes it has to be through a trade unless the club decides to delist him.

If a suitable trade cannot be found, he would have to go into the draft.

This has probably been covered but can Clark be a Delisted Free Agent if a trade cannot be found (assuming Melbourne will delist him as has been agreed)? If so any bargaining power Melbourne has is out the window.

We have a small amount of bargaining power IF he nominates a club like Geelong - we can keep him on our list all through the trade period and then delist him, meaning he heads to the draft and some uncertainty. It's not alot but it's something.

The calls for getting their first rounder or Christensen in the trade are ludicrous though. Clark is a speculative pick up for them, at best. If he was still in his prime and hadn't missed 3 years of footy then we could rightly ask for something good, otherwise I'm happy for the club to get something useful for him and move on. For us at the moment it's better than nothing and playing 'hard ball' for the sake of it.

i've been thinking about what clark means when he says he wants to get a good deal for mfc

is it meaningful or just self-promoting spin?

just how can he make sure mfc gets a good deal when it is completely up to the recipient club who can play hardball and we have little bargaining power?

is clark going to knock back a good offer because that club doesn't offer up a good deal? yeah pigs might fly.

all he can do is say he will go through the trade option (rather than delist option) which doesn't mean we get a reasonable offer

it actually suits him to go the trade route because then he can choose a club

if he ends up in the draft as delisted he loses control somewhat

i think his sentiment of looking after mfc is just spin to gain some sympathy

if we can't get a reasonable trade we should let him walk

i'd rather we took a stand than accept some low pick or lowly player

mal michael all over again

I reckon George Horlin-Smith is a player we could realistically target, and a potential win-win for both clubs. He'd probably be behind the likes of Duncan, Motlop and Christensen at the Cattery and given their wealth of talented mids, they just might be prepared do a deal for Clark. A fit and firing Clark would be a huge asset to their KPF / ruck stocks and immediately advance their premiership chances.

His name would fit in quite well at Melbourne

We have a small amount of bargaining power IF he nominates a club like Geelong - we can keep him on our list all through the trade period and then delist him, meaning he heads to the draft and some uncertainty. It's not alot but it's something.

The calls for getting their first rounder or Christensen in the trade are ludicrous though. Clark is a speculative pick up for them, at best. If he was still in his prime and hadn't missed 3 years of footy then we could rightly ask for something good, otherwise I'm happy for the club to get something useful for him and move on. For us at the moment it's better than nothing and playing 'hard ball' for the sake of it.

But if Clark nominates Geelong (for example) then Geelong can just offer Melbourne their last pick and say take it or leave it becuase as was agreed Clark is being delisted by Melbourne, after which he is a Free Agent and can join any team he likes for free.

Edited by Clint Bizkit

But if Clark nominates Geelong (for example) then Geelong can just offer Melbourne their last pick and say take it or leave it becuase as was agreed Clark is being delisted by Melbourne, after which he is a Free Agent and can join any team he likes for free.

I thought common (Demonland) wisdom was that Clark is still technically under contract.

• Like 1

Clark can't be a delisted free agent because of the terms in the settlement agreement.

"The AFL Players Association view is that Clark cannot be considered for free agency, because the terms of his settlement with Melbourne were equivalent to a player retiring and the rules prohibit players exploiting retirement as a back-door way of claiming free agency. So, Clark's options are either to play at Melbourne or find another club via a trade or the draft."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/magpies-make-a-pitch-for-mitch-clark-20140909-10eobl.html#ixzz3EfNWQSwr

• Like 14