Post match discussion - Round 20

Demonland

There was no internet connection in the town i am staying in for about 30 hours so i am just seeing the results now.

Another game where Whorethorn did as they pleased

How many losses is it now since the Essendrug game?

WYL this is going to continue until we recruit 2 or 3 stars into the team and fill out the mid field/solve the forward line situation which has nothing dangerous about it whatsoever from a goal kicking point of view. We all hope Hulk comes good to alleviate this a little obviously. But we need speed, skill and class up forward as well (ie., crumbers/mid field goal kicking danger players).

This might be organically from current list ie., Tyson/Hulk... or into the future. But until this happens we will never be more than a bottom feeding filler on the AFL's pre determined/managed Foxtel driven fixture/ladder.

Just enjoy your Hols mate and make the most of it. If Roos can't turn it around we'll probably be pushing up daisies before this club threatens for finals or wonder of wonders, ever becomes a power house once more.

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 3

Jack Watts' disposal is his only AFL-level quality. He would probably be useful in a top-tier team. We are not a top-teir team, which makes his glaring defects all the more difficult to work around. I'd rather Dan Nicholson in the team right now than Jack Watts.

I wouldn't.

We need more class, not less.

A team full of Dan Nicholson's trying their guts out won't win a flag for anyone - including in the VFL.

I rate Watts. Pleased we have him.

• Like 1

I wouldn't.

We need more class, not less.

A team full of Dan Nicholson's trying their guts out won't win a flag for anyone - including in the VFL.

I rate Watts. Pleased we have him.

A team full of Jack Watts' won't win you a flag either. Including in the VFL

• Like 2

A team full of Jack Watts' won't win you a flag either. Including in the VFL

But it would make for an interesting Internet forum .

Though the team selection thread would probably become irrelevant .

As would the trade/ delist thread.

• Like 2

We had two choices. I would have preferred my local but one of our companions is dead against pokies so that was ruled out. I assumed the pub we went to had Foxtel but was disappointed to find out they didn't.

The place we went to was a nice little venue though. An owner operated deal with pretty good food.

change companions, change pubs.....solved

Why are we paying a bloke $1.5m a year to then trade away talent?

Watts has shown glimpses and Roos should back himself to get more from blokes with talent - it's hard enough getting talent to the club without trading it away for hope.

• Like 2

Why are we paying a bloke $1.5m a year to then trade away talent?

Watts has shown glimpses and Roos should back himself to get more from blokes with talent - it's hard enough getting talent to the club without trading it away for hope.

Roos had delusions that he could turn Watts into the +190cm midfielder. I would go as far to say that Roos' promise of 'finally giving Jack a consistent position' was the best part of why Watts signed for the extra 3 years.

The non-negotiables and contested footy Roos preaches is so distant from Watts desire and application at the moment it's not funny. I reckon the coach would be wondering what he needs to do to get Jack to play that way.

• Like 2

Roos had delusions that he could turn Watts into the +190cm midfielder. I would go as far to say that Roos' promise of 'finally giving Jack a consistent position' was the best part of why Watts signed for the extra 3 years.

The non-negotiables and contested footy Roos preaches is so distant from Watts desire and application at the moment it's not funny. I reckon the coach would be wondering what he needs to do to get Jack to play that way.

I don't think it'll ever happen as long as Jack is happy with his present sub par efforts when he isn't handed the ball on a platter.

Some of his chasing and tackling/falling over efforts are laughable at this level. His ball use is nice when he has a bit of time but he still doesn't take his opponents or the game on very often. Always looking for the quick give, mostly lateral or sideways.

Hoping for better, preparing for the same or worse.

Needs an AFL bod as well. Still looks like a 2nd year draftee.

Top bloke off the field though and really hope he can do what needs to be done to take it to real AFL level standards...both ways.

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 1

If Watts is as bad as many think and not doing the "non negotiables" why has he played every game and never been subbed?

Has it occurred to you that either you're wrong or Roos is a dud?

That proposition puts many here between a rock and a hard place.

Perhaps we should have a poll on which it is!

• Like 2

If Watts is as bad as many think and not doing the "non negotiables" why has he played every game and never been subbed?

Has it occurred to you that either you're wrong or Roos is a dud?

That proposition puts many here between a rock and a hard place.

Perhaps we should have a poll on which it is!

Sometimes I feel that Roos may have pumped Watts up a little too much and the reason he has not been dropped or subbed is due to Roos having to swallow his pride.

• Like 2

Wattsy hasn't been disgusting like some make out.
He hasn't perfrmed at the level that we would like considering he was a number 1 draft pick, but i think its time to let that go.

Think of him as a player that we picked up with some random pick in the draft, say pick 25.

I don't think he has been off the pae for a late first round pick.

Ill give him some slack here too, I went to watch several training sessions just before the season started, and watts was working really hard, but his engine isn't up to it yet. He gets run off his feet in the midfield, and I think thats where we see a lot of his stumbles n fumbles n whatever else. Fr the the pedantic folk out there, note that I didn't say all of his stuff ups.

Im not calling for his head, because roos is the man to get him up and running. I think we will see watts get a solid pre season in and we will see what next season brings. People forget that he is a big guy, it can take 5 or so years to get going, he has taken a while.

Wattsy hasn't been disgusting like some make out.

He hasn't perfrmed at the level that we would like considering he was a number 1 draft pick, but i think its time to let that go.

Think of him as a player that we picked up with some random pick in the draft, say pick 25.

I don't think he has been off the pae for a late first round pick.

Ill give him some slack here too, I went to watch several training sessions just before the season started, and watts was working really hard, but his engine isn't up to it yet. He gets run off his feet in the midfield, and I think thats where we see a lot of his stumbles n fumbles n whatever else. Fr the the pedantic folk out there, note that I didn't say all of his stuff ups.

Im not calling for his head, because roos is the man to get him up and running. I think we will see watts get a solid pre season in and we will see what next season brings. People forget that he is a big guy, it can take 5 or so years to get going, he has taken a while.

that

• Like 1

Errmmm. I had social commitments I had to go to and would have liked to have watched the match but the pub didn't have Foxtel. Unlike your good self, I have actual friends (and you can't count the captive audience of poor unfortunate players you ambush at training as your friends).

Personal attack, I have acquaintances, just have to make sure they are not knobs before assimiliating them into my circle, my point you come on here with your grandstanding comments and can't even be arsed watching the game, if you didn't watch it....how do you know what occurred......I had concerns about your comments now I know they have no consequence whatsoever........at least I go to the games

Personal attack, I have acquaintances, just have to make sure they are not knobs before assimiliating them into my circle, my point you come on here with your grandstanding comments and can't even be arsed watching the game, if you didn't watch it....how do you know what occurred......I had concerns about your comments now I know they have no consequence whatsoever........at least I go to the games

Try someone else, simple fisherman. They aren't biting.

Fitness standards rise ever year. Another big summer for all

his engine isn't up to it yet. He gets run off his feet in the midfield, and I think thats where we see a lot of his stumbles n fumbles n whatever else.

I'd trade Watts for Puopolo any day. That's the kind of player Melbourne needs. Couldn't take my eyes off Stringer last night against St Kilda. That's what a real draft should be - good impact in first few years. None of this 'it takes time to develop' rubbish - he's a not a ruckman.

Edited by nrc73
  • Like 1