Match Preview and Team Selection - Round 18

Demonland

you are more generous than me Bbo.

In my view is one of the very average players on our list.

When he cannot get a game we will have a reasonable side.

Can't deny his "rough edges" OD. However, like yourself, I have watched, in anger and frustration, the [censored] weak efforts thrown up over the last few year years. Since we have very few skilled players, I find myself drawn to goers.

Can't deny his "rough edges" OD. However, like yourself, I have watched, in anger and frustration, the [censored] weak efforts thrown up over the last few year years. Since we have very few skilled players, I find myself drawn to goers.

Sad but I understand your problem.

Edited by old dee
  • Like 1

If Matt Jones has been dropped, Bail should consider himself very lucky. Has been providing nothing more than Jones of late.

Neither are taking us anywhere in the medium term.

I have no doubt they will both be around next year as they are slightly better than about 20 others.

But that does not say much in the context of our list quality.

Edited by old dee
  • Like 1

If Maxxy doesn't play, absolute acid on you know who.

With Cassisi retiring this will give Port even more ammo to belt us.

I have a bad feeling about this one unfortunately.

I'm in the same boat. They will be up and about and we all know how tired we are getting as a team as we reach the final stages of the season. Could be brutal.

Happy with the ins though and not fussed too much with who comes in, although Blease and Michie probably deserve a run more than the other two at the minute.

I'd go with Blease, Gawn, JKH and Kent with either of those last 2 the sub.

Not sure Matt Jones deserved to be dropped but at the same time he isn't really taking us anywhere so time for Blease or others to get a shot.

Plus Jones is in his second year of AFL. It's not like going back and playing some dominant VFL is necessarily bad for him. He can get 30 or more touches pretty easily and work on how he uses them. And work on his tackling and contested ball winning.

• Like 1

I'd go with Blease, Gawn, JKH and Kent with either of those last 2 the sub.

Not sure Matt Jones deserved to be dropped but at the same time he isn't really taking us anywhere so time for Blease or others to get a shot.

Plus Jones is in his second year of AFL. It's not like going back and playing some dominant VFL is necessarily bad for him. He can get 30 or more touches pretty easily and work on how he uses them. And work on his tackling and contested ball winning.

And like most on the list work in his disposal.

I'd be surprised if we made 4 changes, but we've been lethargic and tired for 2 rounds now. Makes sense to mix things up and freshen the team.

Will be interesting to see how we perform after the bye when Crossy is about ready to play again and we've had time to recover from Darwin.

Not too disappointed with M Jones being dropped, but it would be a bit tough on him if Terlich stays over him. Terlich has to join him.

As for the rest, if we're going to give games to Tapscott (which we are, and should give at least one more to), we might as well give a game to Blease. JKH and Kent are musts. So I'd go JKH, Kent, Blease, Tapscott.

Edited by titan_uranus

I expect the last three named will be out. If so very happy with those changes.

yeah but to me all 7 of the extended bench have big question marks over them going forward, honestly not confident any of them will 'make it' I guess the footy dept thinks similarly and that's what makes them the fringe

yeah but to me all 7 of the extended bench have big question marks over them going forward, honestly not confident any of them will 'make it' I guess the footy dept thinks similarly and that's what makes them the fringe

You've lost faith in Michie, JKH and Kent?

That was quick.

Edited by P-man

M Jones has been in our top half of players pretty well every week this year as I recall. I feel sure that its a case of giving him a pat on the back and a scenery change while Roos takes the opportunity to get a look at one or two of the guys whose career is truly in the balance (Blease, Tappy, maybe Terlich). If he tapped Bail's shoulder it would be seen to be related to form because he has been less convincing than Matt Jones recently. But I don't believe Roos is going to go cold on Bail for the next 9-12 months, until there is a better replacement through drafting or Casey development.

Kent could easily be dropped under the same rationale as for Jones - your position is safe for the time being, take a beak and work on some further imorovements in your game while we test out a few guys who are on their last chance.

Tappy must surely be played at least one more game to see if last week was the exception or the rule.

M Jones has been in our top half of players pretty well every week this year as I recall. I feel sure that its a case of giving him a pat on the back and a scenery change while Roos takes the opportunity to get a look at one or two of the guys whose career is truly in the balance (Blease, Tappy, maybe Terlich). If he tapped Bail's shoulder it would be seen to be related to form because he has been less convincing than Matt Jones recently. But I don't believe Roos is going to go cold on Bail for the next 9-12 months, until there is a better replacement through drafting or Casey development.

Kent could easily be dropped under the same rationale as for Jones - your position is safe for the time being, take a beak and work on some further imorovements in your game while we test out a few guys who are on their last chance.

Tappy must surely be played at least one more game to see if last week was the exception or the rule.

Unfortunately for Tappscot last week was the rule.
  • Like 1

I'm surprised at Jones' omission. He may not be our best but he puts in and he is an accumulator while others like bail struggle to 15 touches.

I hope he had been given clear instructions to improve his game at VFL probably including work on clean disposal when outside, which is currently his biggest liability imo.

An good reason why Gawn is in?

Jamar is the mystery injury of the week perhaps?

That would be the only reason 'old dee', they surely won't play both of them in the same team again. Particularly given the VFL report that wan't glowing about Max's efforts up forward.

With Cassisi retiring this will give Port even more ammo to belt us.

I have a bad feeling about this one unfortunately.

or it could back fire on them with Cassis himself admitting he is shot they are virtually starting with 21 players.

No Gawn for me we need the extra run and its starts from the forward line. If you pressure Port early and don't let them play on quick down the middle out of there defensive 50 you take away there main attacking weapon. Need BAIL, Kent, Blease JKH to all play high pressure games across half forward.

I'm surprised at Jones' omission. He may not be our best but he puts in and he is an accumulator while others like bail struggle to 15 touches.

I hope he had been given clear instructions to improve his game at VFL probably including work on clean disposal when outside, which is currently his biggest liability imo.

Jones had zero tackles last week and I'm trying to think how many goals he's scored this year - maybe two.

Tell me which midfielder that doesn't score and doesn't tackle that is rated highly at their club.

Matt Jones's strength is that he is good at making space and mans up well.

But he has no weapon - he's not a long kick, he's pretty quick (but not explosive), he's not a physical tackling beast (hence he plays outside mid), he doesn't have a magical baulk.

He is a smart linkman.

At his best he's a bit like Kade Simpson, a uselful linkman, but the difference is that Kade Simpson kicks the occasional goal and can hurt other sides going forward.

I'd suggest he's been sent back to the twos to work on hitting the scoreboard and also to make sure he doesn't come off a game where the club had 80plus tackles with zero next to his name. Even Wattsy lays more tackles than that.

Hopefully Bleasey gets a shot at his wing. Bleasey has flaws too, but when he doesn't [censored] it up, he hits the scoreboard.

• Like 1

An good reason why Gawn is in?

Jamar is the mystery injury of the week perhaps?

I don't have a problem with Gawn coming in and shouldering the bulk of the ruck work, releasing Jamar to go forward and contribute a few goals. Surely with Gawn getting 87 hit outs last weekend (albeit at VFL level) he is starting to master his trade and use his height to advantage. Jamar won't be here for ever and Gawn is our best succession option at present (plus Jamar is a strong mark and able to find the goals)!

Jones had zero tackles last week and I'm trying to think how many goals he's scored this year - maybe two.

Tell me which midfielder that doesn't score and doesn't tackle that is rated highly at their club.

Matt Jones's strength is that he is good at making space and mans up well.

But he has no weapon - he's not a long kick, he's pretty quick (but not explosive), he's not a physical tackling beast (hence he plays outside mid), he doesn't have a magical baulk.

He is a smart linkman.

At his best he's a bit like Kade Simpson, a uselful linkman, but the difference is that Kade Simpson kicks the occasional goal and can hurt other sides going forward.

I'd suggest he's been sent back to the twos to work on hitting the scoreboard and also to make sure he doesn't come off a game where the club had 80plus tackles with zero next to his name. Even Wattsy lays more tackles than that.

Hopefully Bleasey gets a shot at his wing. Bleasey has flaws too, but when he doesn't [censored] it up, he hits the scoreboard.

Very good points.

I don't dotage he needs to work on those things, but I feel players with spread who collect uncontested possessions are something we lack.

Hopefully it is part of smart coaching policy to help him improve and he comes back with another string to his bow.

He is a limited footballer but I think he is a worthy placeholder in the team as we rebuild target than a list clogger.