Brian Lake

picket fence

Sorry couldn't resist it! Based on other learned footy peoples opinions and most damningly doc Larkins post in the hun today what do posters think he might cop from the tribunal?

As I said elsewhere Petrie looked a second away from losing consciousness.

I reckon he might be looking at eight which unless Hawks make the GF might see him out this season!

Gee even the Hawks were not happy regarding his latest indiscretion.

Posters?

I think 426.

From a Melbourne perspective I suspect they will be even hungrier about the prospect of snaring James Frawley.

I reckon he will get 3-4, no more.

As for Chip he looks Hawks or Cats bound, but I reckon the Pies might have a nibble.

Sorry couldn't resist it! Based on other learned footy peoples opinions and most damningly doc Larkins post in the hun today what do posters think he might cop from the tribunal?

I reckon he might be looking at eight which unless Hawks make the GF might see him out this season!

Posters?

Reckon he might get about 6. Off field that would be a serious assault. The AFL will not like the look for the game and they will go for the throat in the way he did.

Can't see Lake playing another year. He is widely disliked at Hawthorn despite his medal. Same story as when he was at Footscray.

Chip would have to be high on their shopping list.

• Like 1

He deserves a week at best.

Just playing the game and media got nothing else to talk about ,If drew fought properly he wouldnt let somebody wrap his neck up they way BL did.

Teacup storm inna.

• Like 1

Posters?

We don't now what was said/done, to get to this point; nor his health state.... but it didn't look very good, for footy. this ight be an occaision for an AFL please explain-investigation?

I personnally dont care where he goes as long as it costs the side his going to a lot of $$$'s and chews heavily into their salary cap and enhances our position for compensation, i.e. we dont want another beamer non-compo outcome.

Agreed. The non compo was only because of Neeld's incompetence

IMO Lake only started trying to choke Petrie after Petrie tried to eye-gouge Lake.

Exactly what happened, prior to that he just had him in a head lock.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-07-04/wrestlemania-under-the-roof

Watch around the 23 second mark, Lake has Petrie in a bit of a head lock but it is not across his throat, his left hand is on the ground then Petrie goes for Lake's eyes. Lake then loses the plot and his left hand grabs Petrie's throat.

Petrie is has a lot of media mates and I reckon he has got off pretty easily here.

Yeah Lake does have carry over points. Well I think so anyway. The way I see it if someone is choking me I would do anything to get them off me. Of course you would defend yourself.

Lake had brain fades at the dogs and thats what used to frustrate the hell out of Rocket. hawthorn wont let him get away with it.

I reckon the hawks will go after Chip but it depends if they choose to pay over the top money for him.

Coliingwood I dont think will be interested,they have there youngsters that are doing ok.

IMO Lake only started trying to choke Petrie after Petrie tried to eye-gouge Lake.

Yep, I saw that as well. I think they should both go... Petrie should get 3 and Lake be given a holiday for the rest of the season. I really don't care how seriously hurt (or not) the "victim" is and I get sick of the argument that the penalty should be less because of the outcome... I keep saying it, if they want to get this sort of behaviour out of the game, they MUST penalise them for intent! And it's not exactly like Lake has a sqeaky clean past, is it?

Yep, I saw that as well. I think they should both go... Petrie should get 3 and Lake be given a holiday for the rest of the season. I really don't care how seriously hurt (or not) the "victim" is and I get sick of the argument that the penalty should be less because of the outcome... I keep saying it, if they want to get this sort of behaviour out of the game, they MUST penalise them for intent! And it's not exactly like Lake has a sqeaky clean past, is it?

Agree. What Lake did was highly dangerous - not only did he potentially obstruct his airway he risked activating a reflex mediated by the carotid sinus that slows the heart and drops the blood pressure leading to loss of consciousness and possibly cardiac arrest. Hence Peter Larkins comment that if he was the club doctor and was close by he would have no hesitation running on the ground and attempting to push Lake off. The AFL has to make a stand about this.

He deserves a week at best.

Just playing the game and media got nothing else to talk about ,If drew fought properly he wouldnt let somebody wrap his neck up they way BL did.

Teacup storm inna.

yeah drew really needs to work on his fighting skills, i mean thats why hes playing footy isnt it?

Im actually really surprised and shocked that Drew got a week? Wow... Thats truly a ridicules judgement of what happened... Im wondering what he was suppose to do? Just lay there? Lake had full control of that whole incident, he could have stopped it by getting up... Id say he should take full blame...

I had a frame by frame look - to me it looked like, after Lake applied a slam dunk tackle (cost Trengove 3 weeks) Lake had his right arm behind Petrie's neck and his left arm free...until Petrie's hand groped / gouged his face then Lake applied the throttle.

Had a good look and I say he is gone but oh hold on it is Hawthorn and it has gone to the tribunal, get set for a farcical outcome!

I had a frame by frame look - after Lake applied a slam dunk tackle (Trengove 3 weeks) Lake had his right arm behind Petrie's neck and his left arm free...until Petrie's hand groped / gouged his face then Lake applied the throttle.

There was a moment before Petrie put his fingers on Lake's face that Lake had his upper arm and shoulder across Petrie's nose and mouth. In the second camera angle (see link below), it looks like Lake was trying to smother Petrie's face. Then Petrie raises his hand to Lake's face, followed by Lake strangling in return. Whatever way you looked at it, it's very, very ugly.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-07-07/lake-sent-straight-to-tribunal

I'm off the opinion that the MRP sanctioned Petrie as a way to compel him to give evidence.

He had already backed away from his initial comments "he almost put me to sleep". If his trial is heard before Lake, he will need to explain why he eye gouged of he wants to get off.

Lake, in my opinion should get at least a month. It was an ugly assault that had no place on the football field and to me was 100% worse than any of the bumps we've seen suspended this year.

• Like 4

yeah drew really needs to work on his fighting skills, i mean thats why hes playing footy isnt it?

No,its not why he is playing footy.

But,if you shove your fingers near somebodies eyes,expect a reaction.And Drew cant fight for chit after watching the replay.

Dont pick a fight with somebody ,if ya cant stand up for yerself.