Potential future at Melbourne University

Axis of Bob

So yet again, you want a billboard at the airport? No showing any interest in people and getting to know them? They will be dazzled by a sign they will see speeding into the city for five milliseconds and instantly become Demons and you are telling me I'm joking?

My point was that you said that migrants won't have any interest in football yet Carlton still give free tickets to asylum seekers. I am guessing that they see potential in them becoming supporters one day.

I don't mind you making your point (and you are entitled to it) but do you need to be a condescending ass?

The best point you have made (you have spent most of your time trying to tear down others ideas without offering any yourself) is that this probably won't be a starter anyway as TOOT pointed out.

I do Col. Not just a billboard but an exclusive partnership with the airport so the likes of the Pies & Tiges don't go plastering their propaganda all over the place. Making Melbourne FC part of the Melbourne experience

Getting into hotel rooms so that when visitors pick up those "things to do" brochures, MFC is all over it

Tapping into real estate databases so that when someone moves here from interstate or overseas, the club sends them a "welcome to Melbourne - hope you love your new home" pack. Here's your free tickets to a MFC game. Again, forming exclusive partnerships with the major agencies so other clubs can't pinch our idea

Bartlett's overall vision of making MFC part of the Melbourne experience is a great concept. But there are better ways to do it than having a presence in Collins St. Or Parkville

• Like 5

I do Col. Not just a billboard but an exclusive partnership with the airport so the likes of the Pies & Tiges don't go plastering their propaganda all over the place. Making Melbourne FC part of the Melbourne experience

Getting into hotel rooms so that when visitors pick up those "things to do" brochures, MFC is all over it

Tapping into real estate databases so that when someone moves here from interstate or overseas, the club sends them a "welcome to Melbourne - hope you love your new home" pack. Here's your free tickets to a MFC game. Again, forming exclusive partnerships with the major agencies so other clubs can't pinch our idea

Bartlett's overall vision of making MFC part of the Melbourne experience is a great concept. But there are better ways to do it than having a presence in Collins St. Or Parkville

Yeah, that's fine. It's not either/or. In fact, I think those are good ideas.

Definitely marketing and commercial strategy shouldn't be myopic.

UoM is a good idea in my book but I'm not married to it. There are pros and cons. One thing I wouldn't like about it is that we have started to put down roots in Casey and we then turn around and abandon them to move back to the CBD.

So yet again, you want a billboard at the airport? No showing any interest in people and getting to know them? They will be dazzled by a sign they will see speeding into the city for five milliseconds and instantly become Demons and you are telling me I'm joking?

My point was that you said that migrants won't have any interest in football yet Carlton still give free tickets to asylum seekers. I am guessing that they see potential in them becoming supporters one day.

I don't mind you making your point (and you are entitled to it) but do you need to be a condescending ass?

The best point you have made (you have spent most of your time trying to tear down others ideas without offering any yourself) is that this probably won't be a starter anyway as TOOT pointed out.

Actually it's quite a funny point. A few years ago when travelling to the states we left the JFK airport and not long after leaving sighted a billboard advertising the New York Yankees, I remember it looked like a movie poster. Anyway at the time I thought it looked cool as [censored] and couldn't wait to go see a Yankees game, I did and I purchased a ball cap and guernsey.

• Like 2

Perfect.

Of course there are better ways: again, I interpret his comments differently. I think it's integral to have a physical presence somewhere, somewhere where even people that don't care about football will see the brand in a fashionable light. I don't give a crap about baseball but I buy Dodgers merchandise every year when I'm in LA for work. They have a store at LAX for a reason: so morons like me lap it up. And I do. I have no idea whether the Dodgers are any good, it's just a cool brand and I've adopted them as my team. It all adds to the worth of the club, and it's a tough metric to measure, but I'm one fan they previously never had. This is Melbourne's vision.

I think Parkville is a good choice for that reason: an international student need not be here for the long haul, but sports teams have historic ties to cities, and their brand stands out. It means something. We need to provide an avenue for them to build a different sort of tie to Melbourne, and trust me when I say international students at Melbourne Uni DO know about AFL. They can't ignore it, and they're intrigued. I spent two years on campus there.

On top of that, people from interstate have a fascination for Melbourne because it's not, well, Sydney. It's a special town. Give them a souvenir that is distinctively Melbourne. And what is more Melbourne than AFL, really? They should be walking about with something that brands the city as much as it brands the club.

When people walk around with a "NY" cap, it's as much a Yankees cap as it is an NYC cap.

That's the vision. It's all a branding exercise. The other things you mentioned are important, obviously, but having a physical presence, somewhere where people can directly engage without even having to go to a game, that sort of support is unmeasurable, but it is important in today's world.

This seems less about getting people to games, and more about giving people a REASON to attend games. Just like improving on-field, it's not something that changes overnight. You need generations to be able to recognise and support something. We need new avenues to build a support base to amplify the club's brand because in today's world, tucking yourself away on a no-standing road at the bottom of the MCG is not going to win you new followers.

People underestimate how important this is these days. We've been an amateur club with amateur branding for too long.

Edited by Cudi_420
  • Like 4

has been answered well by another

Its part of a campaign. A big picture etc.

Youre close to a mark actually.... by all means get hold of newcomers to this country....but by the time theyve moved in youve missed the real chance. Again it would only be part of a strategy.

• Like 1

If we're going to be training at Melbourne Uni, surely the most important question to be asked is whether Satyricon can get there.

better give him the Tram numbers :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Our current situation isn't ideal with various parts of the club scattered. Would prefer an identifiable home base so I think it's good to look at options. Can't tell if this is the right one without more info. As always the devil is in the detail. Overall I think the President and Board seem much more functional than before and seem to concentrate on the bigger issue stuff and keep their noses out of the footy dept. At this stage would trust their decision making.

• Like 1

The areas of mutual interest as described by TOOTS earlier most likely have merit.

Good outside of the box stuff :)

and where would you get parking for an extra 100+ people?

would need a decent sized car park for the players to practice their doughnuts

where would the uni blacks and blues train. and the uni cricket and athletics teams. there is one oval and one hockey pitch for 10s of thousands of students

We can park on Princess Park.. f em!

the other problem with mu campus is there would be almost no room to expand and stay together

the club must be about 100+ now

it's not inconceivable that this could grow to 200 in 10 years time

then there is new facility requirements. what if all the clubs started building an essendon style indoor "hangar" facility etc

even if we could fit into the campus which i doubt we would be backing ourselves into a corrner

• Like 1

the other problem with mu campus is there would be almost no room to expand and stay together

the club must be about 100+ now

it's not inconceivable that this could grow to 200 in 10 years time

then there is new facility requirements. what if all the clubs started building an essendon style indoor "hangar" facility etc

even if we could fit into the campus which i doubt we would be backing ourselves into a corrner

Moving to the MU as a base for the club has a slightly better chance than a new facility at Docklands.

Pipe dream stuff

We will win a flag before either happens.

Why is everyone believing this HUN article is a reality?

Most of the time Demonlanders decry the HUN and its reporters as having no idea. But on this article they seem to be suggesting it is a done deal.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's fine. It's not either/or. In fact, I think those are good ideas.

Definitely marketing and commercial strategy shouldn't be myopic.

UoM is a good idea in my book but I'm not married to it. There are pros and cons. One thing I wouldn't like about it is that we have started to put down roots in Casey and we then turn around and abandon them to move back to the CBD.

I’m in full agreement on Casey. I don’t think that’s an either / or situation. We can consolidate a City of Melbourne presence and still develop our relationship at Casey. They are two parts of one big picture. Casey is going to be more work than we may have initially thought. In the short term we have to return their footy team to being competitive and that might require a bit more subsidising to ensure their non-AFL list is stronger. We need to increase our visibility out there. More players in their schools more often. More kid’s clinics. More training sessions in school holidays held there. But Casey have to embrace MFC too. I can live with their jumper as the colours aren’t too far removed but eventually they are gonna have to become either the Casey Demons or the Melbourne Scorpions. They don’t get to keep both in my view.

It is a long term project but I dream of the day when they have to put on special match day train from Cranny, express from Dandenong to Richmond ! I may not be around to see it but I hope my kids will.

Someone mentioned the success that Hawthorn have had getting buy-in from the residents of Waverley. They have done an outstanding job, particularly under Ian Dicker’s leadership (that’s not a slap at JK but the heavy lifting was done under Dicker). It also helped that they had a good product to sell. A successful team and a highly marketable player in Buddy. On the back of success in each decade since the 70’s. The Hawks took full advantage of this.

Our biggest problem, before any marketing strategies or branding initiatives is that our product is still on the nose. Everything will get easier if we have a successful team. If you have a winning team then people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.

As Jackson says – footy first. That doesn’t preclude planning for a consolidated home or an expanded imprint. But fixing the footy has to be the prime focus

• Like 4

Far too much sense Biff. Probably need a lie down after that ;)

As I understand it our current truing facilities at Olympic Park are top notch although shared with RL and Soccer.

Are there any significant limitation placed on our options to train when we need to?

Are any of the facilities not up to par? It would certainly appear easier to spend on upgrading Gosh's paddock than shifting holus bolus to yet another venue.

Shouldn't we perhaps foster relationships with the other clubs sharing the facilities and perhaps teach and learn from each other in various ways not just on the field?

Maybe some sort of joint membership with (limited) access to each others games, for those who may be interested or even just curious?

How about the Storm giving our guys some lessons on tackling (not the whole RL tackle over the neck and below the knees of course) especially how to make a tackle stick?

I know the three games are very different but fitness-wise the demands must overlap and there are things that can be learned both ways. Also perhaps injury management and rehab?

Other than possibly picking up some interest from uncommitted students, there are lots of limitations to our moving our base to Parkville.

And I do recall that (I raised this earlier in this thread) there was some interest expressed / ? commitment to a new facility in the docklands area. Does anyone have any info on this?

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 1

All a lot easier to sell if / when we have a successful team on the field.

• Like 2

Clearly, the best option for us as a "home base" would be in the MCG precinct. OK, so we missed out on the Westpac Centre area, so what, we move on. We are now training at Gosch's Paddock, and have a FD based in the AAMI Park area (shared with other codes), with our admin at the MCG.

So, what are our options?

- Expand the Gosch's Paddock area, with facilities good enough to cater for both FD and administration

- Look at other greenfield areas within a close proximity of the MCG and CBD

- Look at current facilities that may not be utilised

In answer to the first point - have we not looked at this already? Is this why we are looking at alternatives, knowing too well that it (GP expansion) is not achievable?

In regards to the second point - WHERE???!!! There is space within the MCG existing car parks, but that comes with a whole heap of barriers no doubt. Any other greenfield developments will come with a massive expense, something that I'm uncertain if we would be able to fund. If at all possible, the area between the MCG and Jolimont Station would be the best location; close to the National Sports Museum, not far from where our MCG changerooms are, etc, but such a dream on my behalf for thinking of it!

The only "logical" option (presuming option 1 has been investigated) is to look at using existing facilities, but where?

- Junction Oval - was our training home, reasonably close to the CBD, but have we allowed St Kilda to sneak in underneath us?

- Punt Road Oval - ideal, but most probably a not-in-a-million-years option

The Uni of Melb facility (may not be an idea according to Toots) is the closest to our CBD that isn't either taken by a club already, or isn't even built yet.

We've got to weigh it up - expand the Gosch's Paddock area, get involved with the new Docklands area, or look at partnerships such as the UofM.

WTF ... we move from the MCG to Junction Oval to Casey to Aami Pk to the MCG and now to Melbourne Uni.

Why move???? We often say the MCG is our heart. Aami offers already state of the art facilities with Goschs oval for FULL YEAR USE.

why move ???? why spend more money when we have none.

what is Barlett doing? sounds like putting in an empty legacy.

we want footballers not gypsys.

• Like 1

This seems to me like a whole lot of nothing.

I came down very hard on Bartlett after his ill-advised decision to talk out of his arse to Wilson but this just looks like a possible aside while we are working on a few things in our relationship with Melbourne Uni.

So I still await a plan that will come in a few months that decides what the Admin wants to do with the base, training facilities, growth strategy, and how it is all starting in earnest after we complete getting the footy side of things in line with what Roos wants.

I am an employee of The University of Melbourne at the Sport Department here.

I can't go into too much detail, but there have been official meetings between the club and the University. These have mainly been around research and an education partnership for players and administration (like the Uni has with the Melbourne Rebels) - as far as I'm aware there's never been any proposal or thought broached about moving the club here and building a facility, which would obviously be a huge investment. I don't know who thought of 'the move' but it definitely hasn't been on the agenda.

Someone making a mountain out of a molehill I think. I just can't see it happening.

The voice of reason. Thanks Toot182.

Research and education link with Melbourne Uni, perfect fit. Moving the club HQ and training there, not going to work.

Melb Uni would not kick out the local sports clubs from its only oval and let MFC take over.

Agreed. Those domestic students that go to Melbourne Uni have long set their allegiance to a footy club. The vast majority of the internationals don't give a damn about footy and never will

^^ This. Having taught Uni classes with international students for over 20 yrs I can count on one hand the number that showed any interest in AFL. Domestic Uni students have little money to spare and would be underrepresented in club memberships IMO, but would already follow a club.

• Like 3

WTF ... we move from the MCG to Junction Oval to Casey to Aami Pk to the MCG and now to Melbourne Uni.

Why move???? We often say the MCG is our heart. Aami offers already state of the art facilities with Goschs oval for FULL YEAR USE.

why move ???? why spend more money when we have none.

what is Barlett doing? sounds like putting in an empty legacy.

we want footballers not gypsys.

And we want cohesion on and off the field. This leaking of info - blah. I'd rather keep talking footy than off field dramas.