3 goals at elite level very poor

Soidee

While this team is making progress, it is simply pathetic that we can only muster 3 goals at this level of football. Nearly 70,000 turned up today and deserve a better output.

Queens birthday and 3 goals!!!!!!! Bloody awful

Even if we had Hogan and he gets 4 goals every game we will still be lacking. We just can't seem to keep the ball down there for repeat entires and multiple scoring opps. That has to be the next stage of our development. The pies cleared our defence with ridiculous ease.

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 1

Want to stop Melbourne scoring? Put a loose man behind the play.

Has worked for St Kilda, Coll, Sydney and various other teams against us this year.

People get upset when I whinge about the lack of skill from the backline but they just don't rebound the ball at all and on the odd occasion they do the midfield and half forwards don't capitalize.

• Like 2

I'll give Roosy the benefit of the doubt. In a very short space of time he has turned around the worse midfield and defence in the league. They had to be first cabs off the rank in turning us around. They will get it right. Watts Viney and not sure who the other was all missed very gettable shots in the first 10mins of the last quarter and JKH'S has nailed other set shots previously like the one he missed in the last.

Plenty to work with

• Like 4

Dawes's work rate is always A1 and had to play against 2 or 3 today but it seems that his only trick is to run flat out on the lead in a straight line. The result is that he ends up too far from goal. Its also too predicatable, too easy to intercept and too easy for 3rd man up.

Today he wasn't helped by the slow delivery and no small players at his feet. But I feel he needs to me able to mix it up a bit - stand and use his body a bit more or outsmart his opponent a little as to when and where he runs.

Today, it seemed that there was no real teamwork on the forward line; this goes for the talls and the smalls that played there. It looked as if there were so many talls the smalls were told to stay out of there.

• Like 3

We had chances to kick more. Watts in the second half running to a open goal as well as Bail. Vince's goal not allowed. I'm sure that there were more chances but I can't think of them all. Fact is we had chances to kick more. Our game plan is great. Last week Port look very tired in the second half and so did the Pies today but we are also tired and our skills drop dramatically. We need to take our chances because we keep the score low and every game is a contest. Port and the Pies took their chances and won. Yes 3 goals is not good enough but no we weren't flooding and we looked to move the ball forward at every chance.

we're still learning. Some big big faux pas. Opportunities not taken. But an interesting contest. it will get better I feel

Collingwood defended well.

Melbourne lacked a serious goal threat.

We still controlled lots of the game and our defence was very good, this style of play will win games and does hold up in September (eventually/hopefully).

3/4 of football and it was very very close, I think we ran a little out of legs which happens after the Alice springs games, that said 3 goals is not the desired result. But am happy with how the boys played for our biggest crowd/game of the year.

• Like 1

A very clear lack of class in the forward 50. And very little running through forward 50 by our midfield.

• Like 1

While this team is making progress, it is simply pathetic that we can only muster 3 goals at this level of football. Nearly 70,000 turned up today and deserve a better output.

Queens birthday and 3 goals!!!!!!! Bloody awful

and we Kicked one inside first 23 seconds of the game.

start of the game pep talk

Buckley- 'well you know how theyll play, defence, defend ,then an attempt on attack. We'll defend the same way kick it afield see what happens then run back into defence'

1/2 time- 'now when it goes into our defence get it out ((they'll be expecting us to force wide) bring it back into corridor, expose tthere talls that will be standing there and kick to open up the goal face'

3/4 time- 'its in the bag boys, there spent!!

Conclusion- we are working our game plan and its getting better, but we have no idea what the opposition is going to do aand that is where we will get exposed. I'll give it too Bucks I thought he coached well

• Like 1

start of the game pep talk

Buckley- 'well you know how theyll play, defence, defend ,then an attempt on attack. We'll defend the same way kick it afield see what happens then run back into defence'

1/2 time- 'now when it goes into our defence get it out ((they'll be expecting us to force wide) bring it back into corridor, expose tthere talls that will be standing there and kick to open up the goal face'

3/4 time- 'its in the bag boys, there spent!!

Conclusion- we are working our game plan and its getting better, but we have no idea what the opposition is going to do aand that is where we will get exposed. I'll give it too Bucks I thought he coached well

• Like 1

For me that was the Turning Point

Yes I agree this could have been the turning point in the other direction. So much is about confidence and momentum in this game. If the mark had been taken 5 metres out and the player played on and kicked the goal would it have been disallowed? I doubt it. We've seen many examples of this already this year in other games.

Agree. Things may have been quite different with either Clarke or Hogan. Hope we are looking at Patton for next year.