Selection for Port Adelaide

Sad Dee

JUST OUT OF INTEREST, DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE PRECEDENT IS FOR THIS.. WHAT PLAYERS HAVE MISSED GAMES FOR THIS REASON IN RECENT YEARS

oops caps

Can't remember any MFC players doing it. Not that it matters; there doesn't need to be a 'precedent'.

• Like 1

All comes down to if Dawes goes or not. If he gets a week then Chip comes in for him, if not Chip comes in for Max given the conditions up there.

Jetta will also come in, likely for Salem, again mainly due to the conditions and Salem I reckon will be given a full week at Casey.

IN: Frawley, Jetta

OUT: Salem, Dawes or Gawn

FB: Dunn, Garland, Jetta

HB: Grimes, McDonald, Terlich

C: Watts, Cross, M. Jones

HF: Bail, Frawley, Viney

FF: Pederson, Dawes/Gawn, Kennedy-Harris

FOLL: Jamar, Tyson, N. Jones

INT: Howe, Reilly, Vince

SUB: Toumpas

EMERG: Blease, Clisby, McKenzie

Only reason I don't have Salem down as an emergency as I said is because they'll want him to have a full game at Casey, and they'll likely to all emergencies on this trip, so some runners in Blease/Clisby and another in & under midfielder (McKenzie) will travel for that. If Dawes is cleared then I'd expect Gawn to be an emergency ahead of one of Blease/Clisby.

Really hope we can take it right up to these over achieving phonies!

As for comments on Grimes' game on Martin, the scoreboard at the MCG had Martin with 18 possessions up to half time. That means he only had 13 after half time. That's a win to the Dees. As for tackling, have you ever noticed that most teams struggle to tackle Martin? He has serious body strength, a natural fend off, and his first 4-5 steps are super quick.

As for the Port game, the only necessary "in" is Jetta to play a stopping game on Wingard. Normally a payer like Frawley would jump straight back in, but who comes out? This is not as easy to answer as it sounds.

Gawn? No. He and Jamar rotating through the ruck/forward is too much of an attacking bonus.

Garland? No. Still our best backman.

Dunn. No way. Too strong and reliable now

Howe? No, just finding his feet and learning that he can fly for marks inside defensive 50.

Terlich. Probably the closest to being in the gun, but he plays a totally different role to Frawley so not an equal exchange

Grimes. No. Apart from some really bad mistakes his intercept marking, and constant pressure are essential.

MacDonald? Probably the best fit. Some of his errors and decision making could place him in the gun, but he is a great stopper and could keep a tight reign on Schulz.

This week I don't have an early insight for ins/outs, but an interesting discussion coming up.

Edited by Maldonboy38

As for comments on Grimes' game on Martin, the scoreboard at the MCG had Martin with 18 possessions up to half time. That means he only had 13 after half time. That's a win to the Dees. As for tackling, have you ever noticed that most teams struggle to tackle Martin? He has serious body strength, a natural fend off, and his first 4-5 steps are super quick.

As for the Port game, the only necessary "in" is Jetta to play a stopping game on Wingard. Normally a payer like Frawley would jump straight back in, but who comes out? This is not as easy to answer as it sounds.

Gawn? No. He and Jamar rotating through the ruck/forward is too much of an attacking bonus.

Garland? No. Still our best backman.

Dunn. No way. Too strong and reliable now

Howe? No, just finding his feet and learning that he can fly for marks inside defensive 50.

Terlich. Probably the closest to being in the gun, but he plays a totally different role to Frawley so not an equal exchange

Grimes. No. Apart from some really bad mistakes his intercept marking, and constant pressure are essential.

MacDonald? Probably the best fit. Some of his errors and decision making could place him in the gun, but he is a great stopper and could keep a tight reign on Schulz.

This week I don't have an early insight for ins/outs, but an interesting discussion coming up.

Are you seriously saying you wouldn't play Frawley if fit due to our performance?

In: Michie, Frawley (Back), Jetta.

Out: Toumpas to continue his development, Salem, Riley.

Garland - Monfries, Jetta - Wingard, Frawley - Schultz, McDonald - Westoff and Grimes on White.

• Like 1

Watching the replay, Dawes is sure to go. Maybe for two.

reckon? i thought it was touch n go to be honest. Its low impact and reckless. I think he would get one. What'd chapy get for his allow to a players face? what ever fast was, halve it i reckon.

What do we do with Grimes?

He was very poor yesterday, almost a liability.

Wish he could put a bit more weight on. He gets pushed aside to easily.

apart from a few bad disposals Grimes was fine

• Like 2

Everyone was pretty good. Cant think of anyone that really hampered us. The only players i would mention would be toump and salem, just because they're young, they didn't have a heap of impact. but nor were they bad.

Salem's quiet game was a shame, I do think he'll have a few weeks off as player management, or go back to being sub.

Be interesting to see when the VFL stats come out, should give an idea if Michie's ready to come back in or not.

There are a lot of factors to consider for this game:

1- will Dawes get suspended

2- will Jones stay home for the birth of his baby (please be a good Melbourne supporter and come out next week baby!)

3- what is the weather going to be like

Remember that conditions up there are totally different. If it's going to be humid and slippery are we better off with just 1 ruck, especially if Frawley is back?

And then there is Paul Roos' policy of making minimal changes, and only when absolutely necessary. Has he ever dropped anyone this year?

I think if Dawes and Jones are both playing, we might see Frawley in for Gawn and Jetta in for Salem/Toumpas, and that's it.

Riley will definitely get another game, maybe even as the sub.

Edited by Jaded

reckon? i thought it was touch n go to be honest. Its low impact and reckless. I think he would get one. What'd chapy get for his allow to a players face? what ever fast was, halve it i reckon.

Thought it was more of a push to the head than a strike. Surely 1 at MOST but should be reprimand. Does he have a good record?

Can't remember any MFC players doing it. Not that it matters; there doesn't need to be a 'precedent'.

If it was a match to get us in the finals or some such I might be tempted to raise an eyebrow

this is football we're talking about :D

Like for like is the problem. Not who could make way. Salem and Riley look vulnerable on fitness; Toumpas on capability; M Jones on disposal (but not effort). If Dawes is not suspended, then finding who Frawley replaces - and, if fit, he must come in - becomes problematic.

I think Gawn should play and I wonder whether Pedersen playing his best game ever (or, at least for us) might be because he wasn't being asked to second ruck. So, if Dawes plays, Frawley goes to the backline and one of Howe, Grimes and Terlich has to spend more time up the ground as well as sharing duties in the backline.

I suspect the answer will be that Grimes will run with Boak or another of the PA mids. He's already had tagging jobs on Cotchin and Martin on Saturday as well as Dangerfield. (I actually prefer Grimes in the backline but 7 into 6 doesn't go).

So, if Dawes plays, Frawley would come in for Salem who I think is the most vulnerable of the players mentioned above.

If Dawes does not play, Jetta gets another chance to play down back with Howe spending more time on the wing as well as sharing backline duties.

Salem's forward replacement has to be JKH and Riley would start as the sub.

If it was a match to get us in the finals or some such I might be tempted to raise an eyebrow

this is football we're talking about :D

I would never prioritise anything over the birth of my child, so I wouldn't expect a footballer to either if he didn't want to. It's a very personal thing; plenty of players would choose footy, but I respect Jonesy if he doesn't; I wouldn't either no matter how much I was paid.

Didn't Darren Jolly threaten to sit out a Grand Final if it clashed with the birth of a child some years ago?

• Like 1

Would love to see Salem stay in for another game - perhaps as Sub again.

He has more weapons and versatility than Toumpas, who can't play forward... no idea why they persist in leaving him up there for spells when he gets swamped in the air and bullied on the ground where his pace is lacking.

Jetta in for Toumpas, and Frawley back, probably for Dawes if he goes. Big loss.

Would love to see Kent back in for Riley.

Great to finally see some depth around! Wish we had some more forward options in the wings though, we've been pretty lucky that Dawes hasn't been injured yet.

Edited by Buzzy

In

Frawley

Kent

Jetta

Out

Dawes (susp)

Salem

Toumpas

B - Jetta - McDonald - Terlich

HB - Garland - Dunn - Howe

C - Vince - Tyson - Kent