The Clash Jumper farce

Leoncelli_36

I have zero faith in the powers that be.

I bet next we play a saints home game the same problem will surface.

Yeah I've always the thought the white clash jumper was the key reason why we're so crap....

My thoughts exactly! The silver abomination was worn in 08, Bailey's first year in charge and the current clash strip was introduced at the beginning of Neeld's reign of terror.

Actually chap the training jumper is outselling both other jumpers at the moment, considering one myself

I agree Saty and IMO it is not hard to see why.

The Message is simple

MFC

no stars or southern cross or other assort bits.

Follows the Less is More philosophy

Edited by old dee

Melb_V_St_K2.jpg

Our Clash jumper V St.Kilda

Remove Jones (St.Kilda) from the foreground and we can see why the clash jumper had to be worn. (NOT!)

In an instant a decision needs to be made, they all look the same.

Melb_V_St_K.jpg

Wearing our real jumpers, the orginal, the one we are well known as the Melbourne Demons. Perhaps someone has a problem

defining the 2 teams, I know I havent. Its chalk and cheese to the above. But the clash jumper isnt really about a clash, its about some snotty nosed marketing guru with an agenda.

God forbid, reverting back to everyone wearing their club jumpers. The Umpires could revert back to wearing ALL white. (white maggots,anyone?) Home Team = black shorts Away Team = White shorts All that was way too simple.

As the OP states, its a farce.

• Like 7

Melb_V_St_K2.jpg

Our Clash jumper V St.Kilda

Remove Jones (St.Kilda) from the foreground and we can see why the clash jumper had to be worn. (NOT!)

In an instant a decision needs to be made, they all look the same.

Melb_V_St_K.jpg

Wearing our real jumpers, the orginal, the one we are well known as the Melbourne Demons. Perhaps someone has a problem

defining the 2 teams, I know I havent. Its chalk and cheese to the above. But the clash jumper isnt really about a clash, its about some snotty nosed marketing guru with an agenda.

God forbid, reverting back to everyone wearing their club jumpers. The Umpires could revert back to wearing ALL white. (white maggots,anyone?) Home Team = black shorts Away Team = White shorts All that was way too simple.

As the OP states, its a farce.

Thanyou for comple concise and utter logic.

Kilda pla130322_JonseHero.jpgyers

And that is the colour code selected to -reduce- the visual clash.

That's why people get worked up about it - it is completely idiotic and fails even in it's intended purpose.

Combine that with the club colours being traditional symbols of group identification and pride, it becomes insulting.

For many supporters, every time they see those dopey clash strips it is like a sign hung on the players saying

"Your club's symbols and traditions are less important to the AFL than our petty errors in spurious pursuit of a TV compatibility that was never an issue to begin with"

• Like 4

Are clash strips meant to assist players or spectators? If it's the former, has anyone ever asked the players whether they have a problem with each team staying with their traditional strips?

Edit: typo

My understanding it is 100% television.

The industry claims One team in predominantly white is the best for viewing.

If you look at USA sport just about all televised sport has one team ( The Away team) in a predominately white outfit.

Calling it a clash jumper is basically BS

If the industry had its way it would be the home team in their std outfit and the away team in white.

They don't seem to want it from Messendon or Richmond

Because they have supporter power and not beholding to the AFL like we are.

I can never understand why people cannot understand this.

Why is it hard to understand that we owe our very on going existence to the AFL, we have low numbers of supporters, we have not been able to beat time with a stick for most of the last six years. They say jump and we have no choice but to say how high.

Essendon, Richmond and Collingwood are far from our position. The AFL says they same thing to them and they say Go jump.

When we are making million dollar profits every year and have been in top four for five years and have 50 000 members we can fight.

Until there is no chance

I'm sure there's a bloke within the AFL with this portfolio - "CEO of Clash jumpers and uniform co-ordinator extraordinaire"

He was out for coffee and doughnuts prior to Round One.

One big controller.

Could be his last year of service.

Hang on a sec......

Because they have supporter power and not beholding to the AFL like we are.

I can never understand why people cannot understand this.

Why is it hard to understand that we owe our very on going existence to the AFL, we have low numbers of supporters, we have not been able to beat time with a stick for most of the last six years. They say jump and we have no choice but to say how high.

Essendon, Richmond and Collingwood are far from our position. The AFL says they same thing to them and they say Go jump.

When we are making million dollar profits every year and have been in top four for five years and have 50 000 members we can fight.

Until there is no chance

Sorry old that is carp, we don't have to wear white jumpers because they provide us money from equalisation.

It's not that difficualt to walk in to the AFL with two jumpers

1) Our traditional jumper

2) A reversal of our jumper or an all red jumper with the MFC logo on it

Bring in the other 17 AFL club jumpers and tell me where is the clash, the only possibility is Fremantle and even then if we are wearing our traditional jumper with white shorts against their all purple I don't see a clash. The red jumper will cause a lot less clashes with the other jumpers

It is not hard once you present a valid argument

• Like 1

I'm sure there's a bloke within the AFL with this portfolio - "CEO of Clash jumpers and uniform co-ordinator extraordinaire"

He was out for coffee and doughnuts prior to Round One.

One big controller.

Could be his last year of service.

Hang on a sec......

He is currently working on squeezing players names on the back of jumpers. He run into a hiccup. White writing on white jumpers doesnt work.

If we wore a red jumper it would have to be with dark numbers as the saints like most teams have white numbers.

Personally I don't see any problem with wearing the white away jumper. It's still red and blue just a large patch now has white over it like an extension of the white shorts. I think I prefer it to any overly creative red numbers.

Only thing that can annoy me is when we wear it at away games that don't clash as an away jumper

I know that many think this topic has been flogged to death..but this clash Jumper situation needs to be fixed. On Saturday we wore a predominantly white jumper. A jumper that looked more like st kilda ..we incorporated a colour that clashed more. I then sit down Sunday to watch the Eagles v Dogs and see that they are wearing all red. The same all red the AFL supposedly banned us from wearing as they deemed it a dark colour. I realise nothing can be done about it this season but we need to get firm on this issue. We are the team of the red and blue..i dont care if its red with blue yoke or blue with red..we are not white and never had been..well apparently once in 1858 according to schwabb ..i want the footy club for once to stand up. A red jumper would eliminate all clashes. Richmond, Footscray, Collingwood, Essendon have all held firm..we should not compromise our brand. Fix it please !

Bring back the silver jumper I say.

Sorry old that is carp, we don't have to wear white jumpers because they provide us money from equalisation.

It's not that difficualt to walk in to the AFL with two jumpers

1) Our traditional jumper

2) A reversal of our jumper or an all red jumper with the MFC logo on it

Bring in the other 17 AFL club jumpers and tell me where is the clash, the only possibility is Fremantle and even then if we are wearing our traditional jumper with white shorts against their all purple I don't see a clash. The red jumper will cause a lot less clashes with the other jumpers

It is not hard once you present a valid argument

A two part question PSD

My has no one done it?

And if they have why have they not been successful if it is easy?

Edited by old dee

The whole clash jumper farce is (I believe) another of Dimitrou's legacies. Always wanting our unique sport to mimic others.

The MFC traditional jumper never ever clashed with that of the Saints.

Just change for the sake of change.

• Like 1

The whole clash jumper farce is (I believe) another of Dimitrou's legacies. Always wanting our unique sport to mimic others.

The MFC traditional jumper never ever clashed with that of the Saints.

Just change for the sake of change.

Nothing to do with other sports. All to do with TV. TV audiences especially casual ones won't stand for jumper clashes in this day and age of trying to maximise audiences.

Almost all AFL decisions are made with TV in mind. It's not an evil conspiracy it's just about maximizing profits. I don't blame the CEO, it's his job. I blame the commission for not giving extra guidance to the executive about keeping traditions and where to draw the line in not selling out for the dollar

Nothing to do with other sports. All to do with TV. TV audiences especially casual ones won't stand for jumper clashes in this day and age of trying to maximise audiences.

Almost all AFL decisions are made with TV in mind. It's not an evil conspiracy it's just about maximizing profits. I don't blame the CEO, it's his job. I blame the commission for not giving extra guidance to the executive about keeping traditions and where to draw the line in not selling out for the dollar

so if melbourne played the saints in their home strip tv audiences would drop off? i don't get this

If we wore a red jumper it would have to be with dark numbers as the saints like most teams have white numbers.

Personally I don't see any problem with wearing the white away jumper. It's still red and blue just a large patch now has white over it like an extension of the white shorts. I think I prefer it to any overly creative red numbers.

Only thing that can annoy me is when we wear it at away games that don't clash as an away jumper

There are two sides to the issue.

The first is whether or not people like the white jumper. It's actually quite a nice jumper, though white isn't everyone's favourite colour.

The second is the instances in which we wear it. Clearly, wearing it against St Kilda doesn't do a lot for anyone, and probably makes things worse.

The reason why it happens is the AFL deems clubs to have 'dark' and 'light' jumpers, and when two sides are both 'dark' or 'light', they make the away team change. That's fine when the home jumper is purely dark (e.g. when Carlton is the home team and Melbourne is away; our white jumper clearly is distinct from theirs), but is a stupid rule for the clubs whose 'dark' jumper has white in it (e.g. St Kilda).

It's a simplistic plan from the AFL that doesn't work in its application.

However, changing it will not get rid of the white - we will still be asked to have the 'light' option and a red jumper, as we've said about 10192830192831 times before on Demonland, won't cut it (by AFL standards) when we play clubs with red in their 'dark' jumper (e.g. Adelaide, Essendon, St Kilda, Bulldogs). We could have three jumpers (seems like the Bulldogs do, and we used to a few years ago), but the white will persist.