The continuing saga of Melbourne's injury list - 2014

alpha33

Evans Test

Cross Test (posting good GPS numbers in training, thursday session will decide if he plays.... not mentioned if straight into seniors or via Casey)

King Test

Byrnes Season

Trengove Season

Spencer Season

Hunt Season

Hogan out of rehab group but approximately 3 weeks away from playing to gain fitness and conditioning. May decide not to play him this year and focus on preparation for next year, but ultimately sounds like its up to Jesse... if he wants to play they'll try and get him out there.

*Toumpas not mentioned.

From Dave Misson injury report on Melbournefc website.

Toumpas is listed in the Herald Sun as being "5 weeks". Presumably that paper still thinks we're a chance for finals. I haven't done the maths myself...are we still a mathematical chance? or do we need a few clubs to be disqualified (a la Essendon 2013) first?

• Like 1

Toumpas is listed in the Herald Sun as being "5 weeks". Presumably that paper still thinks we're a chance for finals. I haven't done the maths myself...are we still a mathematical chance? or do we need a few clubs to be disqualified (a la Essendon 2013) first?

Cross is the only one who has progressed in the past 2 weeks apparently?

He is the only player who has recovered at all over the split round as every other player has the same expected return according to the Hun as was released by the club 2 weeks ago.

4-5 weeks for appendicitis. That seems a long stretch. Haven't a few other players with appendicitis just missed the one week? Did his rupture or something?

Was it ?Matt Thomas who went to Port: had appendicitis in his first season and was sick as a dog and missed most of the season. Lost lots of weight and totally deconditioned.

Others can be back in a week.

Depends on the severity.

Acute appendicitis Is what it was listed at, I assume that means it ruptured, although he was out of hospital fairly quickly so who knows, maybe just wanted to take the time

yep sounds like it might be two weeks later vs GWS at the MCG, that will give him 3 games for the year

unless of course the club is talking carp again

Do we really want Hogan playing? Part of says yes because I want to see him in action. Part of me says, the season is gone lets make sure he is cherry ripe for next year....

Think I am leaning towards the latter......

Edited by jnrmac

Do we really want Hogan playing? Part of says yes because I want to see him in action. Part of me says, the season is gone lets make sure he is cherry ripe for next year....

Think I am leaning towards the latter......

On the flipside, playing one game before the season is out might get rid of any pre-first game nerves before he plays a game that really matters. If he's fit to play, just like any other player on the list, if he's in the best 22 he should play.

Would they dangle him like a carrot in front of could-be members for next year. I'm sure they'd like to show what the future has going for it.

Surely they would consider it. After all they are selling hope. With Roos extending it would add another shot of hop to have Hoges come out kick a lazy half dozen and get subbed off late in the third with Salem replacing him and snagging a couple of ice man goals

Care re Hogan - remember what happened to Jack Watts first game agst the Pies on Lizzies birthday - I know Hogan is a lot stronger - but get him right for next year - full stop.

What is it with Dees forwards - Templeton a goner from the start, Warren Dean going great - then did a knee, Bennett was very good - along came Jakovich so Bennett went then Jako didn't last long, Schwarta was terrific but would have been an absolute Superstar without the knee recos, G Lyon with his crook back at the finish - 9 goals in a final til 3/4 time then had to go off, Jurrah, Mitch Clark, Hogan this year - DEMONS JINXED!!

• Like 1

Better late than never (I've amended Shannon Byrnes to "retired" status.

Melbourne injury list: round 19

Shannon Byrnes (foot) – retired

Daniel Cross (leg) – test

Michael Evans (shoulder) – test

Jesse Hogan (back) – 3-4 weeks

Jayden Hunt (back) – 3-4 weeks

Max King (knee) – test

Jake Spencer (ankle) – season

Jack Trengove (foot) – season

Don't understand the logic of not playing Hogan if he is ready and bye all accounts is desperate to play. Who knows what the future holds but your first AFL game is every kids dream , he's worked hard for 7 month's ,so reward the kid , play him, if only for the experience - The West Coast game seems like the perfect opportunity. Say he plays against WC and kicks a couple in front of his family and friends , we win - I go ape sh*t in the crowd with a couple of long suffering WA based Dees supporters , we take that in to the last round and nock of North full of confidence for 2015 - guaranteed an extra 5 thousand members .

• Like 5

Care re Hogan - remember what happened to Jack Watts first game agst the Pies on Lizzies birthday - I know Hogan is a lot stronger -

Understatement of the century

Hogan is a beast and will be physically abusing experienced opposition defenders from the second he steps on the ground in his first game

Strategically, debuting Hogan vs West Coast in Perth is so logically sensible, I'd be stunned if it didn't reach fruition.

Debuting in front of his friends and family. Tick.

Being a key player in our revenge for round 2. Tick.

Getting to celebrate his first win at the MFC in his first game in his home town... hopefully tick. Club would be wise to let him stay the weekend and fly back the day after.

WCE have gone so far off the boil, it reaffirms their flat track bully status in my mind. Given the way they annihalated us earlier in the year, they'll be coming into the match expecting an easy kill and we'll teach them a lesson or two.

And they're also experts at late season tanking when their season is done and dusted.

• Like 1

Do we know exactly when he hurt his back?

Apparently, Hogan was worried by it during the preseason and then he travelled by plane to play in the NAB Challenge game against Geelong in Alice Springs when the main damage was done so the flight followed by the game certianly were not helpful (although it's possible the injury would have happened anyway).

I would prefer that he not be played for the sake of one meaningless game, not simply to protect him from injury but because there's absolutely no point in him playing. According to the club, he's 3 to 4 weeks away which means he would have time for perhaps one VFL game before the final game of the AFL season which involves a five hour flight to Perth. That's not ideal preparation and the conditions are far from ideal to make an AFL debut.

If people were critical of the match committee for thrusting Jack Watts into a showcase game on Queens Birthday when he wasn't prepared, the idea of playing Hogan just for the sake of it in a game in which nothing's at stake is even more stupid.

I think the club will be keen for Hogan to play this year, they need to use the final few weeks to generate some excitement for the off season, the more momentum we hit pre season with the better

If people were critical of the match committee for thrusting Jack Watts into a showcase game on Queens Birthday when he wasn't prepared, the idea of playing him just for the sake of it in a game in which nothing's at stake is even more stupid.

I agree WJ, but gee i'd love to see him to run out against GWS and show us something to sustain us over the pre season

remember what happened to Jack Watts first game agst the Pies on Lizzies birthday

YES I REMEMBER - he got tackled. He was awarded a free kick for in the back. He bounced straight up and disposed of it. That is all that happened on that day. Why do people talk about it as if he was confined to a wheelchair for life, it really pizzes me off

• Like 5

If he is fully fit and there is no possible risk of injury then give him a game. It will get the debut nerves out of the way for the entire pre season plus give him a taste of what it's like to play in the Seniors so he can carry that into the preseason as motivation. I think it makes a lot of sense to get that game out of the way. It will also be more low key at the end of this season as our season is done and dusted whereas it will be surrounded in pre game hype next year with everyone optimistic for the season until half time of the first game.

They did the same thing for Grimes giving him his debut in the last game of the season and he said it gave him great motivation over the pre season to have tasted it.

I would prefer that he not be played for the sake of one meaningless game, not simply to protect him from injury but because there's absolutely no point in him playing. According to the club, he's 3 to 4 weeks away which means he would have time for perhaps one VFL game before the final game of the AFL season which involves a five hour flight to Perth. That's not ideal preparation and the conditions are far from ideal to make an AFL debut.

Couldn't disagree more with this statement - Never should a game of AFL representing the Melbourne Football Club be classed as "meaningless"> and please explain the 5 hour flight being far from ideal ??? do all WA teams only give debut games for home games?????

I'd would bloody walk - swim - crawl to Nepal if that offered me one bloody game !

• Like 2

Have to give Misson a ton of credit for our smaller than normal injury list this year.

Can't remember any soft tissue injuries which reflects highly on the fitness department.

I can now see why he's so highly rated in the industry. Hope we can keep hold of him for a few more years.

• Like 2

Couldn't disagree more with this statement - Never should a game of AFL representing the Melbourne Football Club be classed as "meaningless"> and please explain the 5 hour flight being far from ideal ??? do all WA teams only give debut games for home games?????

I'd would bloody walk - swim - crawl to Nepal if that offered me one bloody game !

Like your spirit Maggot. Hope you've booked your flight to Perth for the big game.

As to the five hour flight, it's simply not the ideal way for someone who has had a back injury to attempt his comeback after not playing any football for 6 months.

Cheers WJ, I will be there cherry ripe for the WC game !!! I'm from Perth so my judgement is that I want to se the kid play.

Understand the flight "may" be an issue but can't se why the club wouldn't fly him over a day early to make sure he gets some extra time and a night to sleep in his bed at home with his family. A huge win / win for both club and player here.

• Like 1