RIP Dean Bailey

DeeSpencer

Really can't add any more to what's already been said. A very sad day for the Bailey family and all who knew him or knew of him. Tragic that he's been taken so young. Can't help wondering if the trauma and stress his life was put under over the past couple of years didn't at least contribute to his swift and untimely demise.

RIP, Dean!

• Like 1

I just received this form the Melbourne Football Club and I think it sums it up well:-

Vale Dean Bailey

All at the Melbourne Football Club is deeply saddened to hear of the passing of Dean Bailey.

The Players, Staff and Directors extend their deepest sympathies to Caron, Mitch and Darcy.

Josh Mahoney who was coached by Dean at Port Adelaide and later worked with him at Melbourne said: "Dean's contribution to the game over his life was significant as a player and coach.”

“From a personal perspective, Dean had an influence on a lot of the decisions I have made in my life. After first meeting him at Essendon in 2001, he was a major influence in me getting drafted by Port Adelaide, as well as entering coaching with the Melbourne Football Club.

“I know I will always remember him as a close mentor and friend, as will all the staff and players who knew him at Melbourne.

“His love for the game of AFL was infectious on everyone who came in contact with him. It took him across the country, chasing his dream of coaching and developing people and players.

“Bails had a dry sense of humour, and even in the toughest times he was often the man who would break the ice with a quick one liner.

“Dean was a committed and devoted family man to wife Caron and sons Mitch and Darcy; our thoughts are with them at this time.

Dean was appointed coach of the Melbourne Football Club in 2007.

He coached the Demons in 83 matches from 2008-11.

Prior to his coaching career, Dean also played 53 matches for Essendon from 1986-92.

He started his coaching career with Mt Gravatt in Queensland in 1998-99, before becoming a member of Essendon’s coaching staff in 2000-01. He was part of the Essendon coaching panel, which helped secure the 2000 premiership against Melbourne.

Dean then moved to Port Adelaide, where he was involved in its inaugural premiership win over the Brisbane Lions in 2004.

He was part of the Power’s coaching staff from 2002-07.

More recently, Dean was innovation and strategy coach of Adelaide.

Funeral details will be provided once confirmed.

• Like 14

Former Melbourne coach and Adelaide assistant Dean Bailey dies after cancer battle

Thoughts go out to his family as well as those at Adelaide and those at Melbourne during his time. Way too young.

And of course Port Adelaide

Agree with the above sentiments fully. RIP.

From another cancer sufferer, whom has been a lucky one.

• Like 1

R.I.P Dean.

You were the scape goat to a footbal club and department of no direction, desire, vision and idea.
You did what you could, and your best (with what you had), and for what i've heard you were an absolute ripin' bloke.
It's sad that your football journey wasn't able to be more complete at another club, for that's what you deserved.
But let me assure you, true MFC/AFL fans know that the way the club was during your tenure as coach was far from entirely all your fault.
Share a Guinness with Jim for us.

• Like 1

I really cannot believe this, absolutely speechless. I dont understand how life works sometimes. its always the great people.

I was a massive Bailey fan and thought for a bloke that had no support around except his beloved players he did a great job for this football club.

Rip Bails gonna miss seeing that cheeky grin of yours.

• Like 4

Listening to the radio this morning, I felt sick to the pit of my gut hearing the news of Dean's passing. What really hurt was hearing how much the players loved him and the responsibility he felt parenting them in their football careers.

Sorely missed and extremely highly regarded personably and professionally. A very sad day.

RIP Dean Bailey. Melbourne will always love you.

• Like 7

The lump in the throat..

The little reminders that make your eyes well up..

Its jimmy and wighty and others all over again..

I hate this f*cking world.. always have.. and this is why.

RIP mate.

Edited by DemonDan...

Truly saddened as I'm sure all who met Bails are,even for the briefest of time.

Sincere condolences to Deans family.

• Like 1

So saddened by the news of Deans passing. To his family I offer my deepest sympathy. Today we have lost a man of the highest integrity. A man of great compassion, humour and intellect. Today we lost a good man. RIP Dean.

HERE HERE, just could not have said it any better. Well said Outside 50! To the Bailey Family, my best wishes and sincere condolences to you all. May his spirit forever be with you all.

Terrible news.

Absolutely devestating when somebody so young with so much life ahead of them and with a young family passes away.

Thank you for all your hard work at the MFC.

My deepest condolences to his family & friends.

A totally sad day for all football supporters.

He gave his best and more for all the clubs he served.

I never met the man personally, but admired the respect he got from the players.

He didn't deserve the treatment he got from the media and the AFL.

My condolences to all his family and close friends.

R.I.P dean Bailey