Colin Sylvia

Bobby McKenzie

I almost feel sorry for him. Col was a high pick in a very ordinary draft, and would have been in the high teens in quite a few other drafts. Yes, he had limitations and seemed to zone out if it wasn't his day, but at the same time the club failed him and all the rest of the players for years. I understand him wanting a fresh start, but at the same time moving to a club on the go, and with a well drilled team, 4000 kms from all that matters isn't going to end well if he doesn't get the breaks go his way.

I'm not sad he left. It was a good thing for us IMO. And I tend to think he was given a gentle nudge, but I get the feeling he has ridden off into obscurity among people that really don't care about him other than what he gives on the field, and I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say that it won't be much other than a cameo.

He's always welcome back in a red and blue tie in my eyes, even if I wished he'd given us more than a highlights reel.

Nice post not so filled with hate even if others disagree.

I think Lyon knows what he's doing. The De Boers, Clancee Pearce, Crozier a few others that Sylvia is keeping with are all reasonable players. But none of them can kick goals on the run from 60 like Syliva, or burst through traffic or take strong marks over packs. They don't need Sylvia to win games in the first half of the year, they just need him either in the 22 or putting serious heat on the 22 so others lift. That he starts in the WAFL is probably good as he can learn the defensive systems whilst still get touches. It's very hard to learn Lyon's system under pressure and I think we've seen young players and even his teams when he first gets there struggle. Best result is Sylvia is like a Mitch Morton at Sydney. Hardly sighted most of the time but then comes from the clouds and stars on grand final day, that wouldn't bother me too much. If he has one of his rare 30 touches and 3 goals games against us I'll be mad as hell!

• Like 2

He's always welcome back in a red and blue tie in my eyes, even if I wished he'd given us more than a highlights reel.

Absolutely. All players should be welcomed back. We are a club after all and anyone that spends any time here is trying to do their best and should be afforded the respect that we would all expect at local clubs we have played/worked/volunteered in.

• Like 1

Absolutely. All players should be welcomed back. We are a club after all and anyone that spends any time here is trying to do their best and should be afforded the respect that we would all expect at local clubs we have played/worked/volunteered in.

Sure in principle, but maybe not in reality. I'm not sure I'll ever look at Chook as anything but a traitor to the club and his ex team mates no matter what else he gave us, and if a 40 year old Scully was introduced at a function I'd walk out.

But that's all for a different time and place.

Col is a demon even if he got a bit lost and put on the wrong jumper for a bit.

I get he hasn't lived up to the hype, not the only player ever but he has given us 10 years of service and that includes more than on field, family days, footy clinics, i'm sure alot of kids had the number 12 on their jumpers so i am sad to see him gone, but happy we got imo a better player for the stage in development we are at in Bernie Vince in return

• Like 1

I almost feel sorry for him. Col was a high pick in a very ordinary draft, and would have been in the high teens in quite a few other drafts. Yes, he had limitations and seemed to zone out if it wasn't his day, but at the same time the club failed him and all the rest of the players for years. I understand him wanting a fresh start, but at the same time moving to a club on the go, and with a well drilled team, 4000 kms from all that matters isn't going to end well if he doesn't get the breaks go his way.

I'm not sad he left. It was a good thing for us IMO. And I tend to think he was given a gentle nudge, but I get the feeling he has ridden off into obscurity among people that really don't care about him other than what he gives on the field, and I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say that it won't be much other than a cameo.

Colin probably earned 2 million out of the MFC in the last 5 years, he was a lazy non trying front runner, as for feeling sorry for him spare me.
  • Like 1

No one is worse than Ben Hur. I think he finally realised this as he seems to have departed dl for good. Can't say I miss him.

It was all a bit of a 'myth' for a period there.

Colin probably earned 2 million out of the MFC in the last 5 years, he was a lazy non trying front runner, as for feeling sorry for him spare me.

So don't. I didn't ask you to join a bandwagon. In fact I couldn't give a fried rats arse about any of your illiterate posts. You hate him. Good for you. He doesn't even know your name. Better for him.

Just out of interest did you cheer when he did good things, or did you find negatives in that too?

• Like 3

I think Lyon knows what he's doing. The De Boers, Clancee Pearce, Crozier a few others that Sylvia is keeping with are all reasonable players. But none of them can kick goals on the run from 60 like Syliva, or burst through traffic or take strong marks over packs. They don't need Sylvia to win games in the first half of the year, they just need him either in the 22 or putting serious heat on the 22 so others lift. That he starts in the WAFL is probably good as he can learn the defensive systems whilst still get touches. It's very hard to learn Lyon's system under pressure and I think we've seen young players and even his teams when he first gets there struggle. Best result is Sylvia is like a Mitch Morton at Sydney. Hardly sighted most of the time but then comes from the clouds and stars on grand final day, that wouldn't bother me too much. If he has one of his rare 30 touches and 3 goals games against us I'll be mad as hell!

I reckon Ross will be hoping for a Stuart Dew type cameo from Col.

Which he is well capable of...

Edited by PaulRB

Jared Rivers, was and still is a massive loss to the MFC, if you seriously think that a bloke can walk into Geelongs back line is not required at the MFC, you're loco. I would have Rivers over, Struass, Terlich, Dunn, Pedo etc any day of the week. He would still be our thrid best back man behind Chip and Garlo

I think your blinded from being able to understand the seriously ingrained poor culture at Melbournefc, which got worse in the past decade.

to make a real change to not just a more professional culture but to set really high AFL standards in all areas neede personnel change so the newbi8es didn't learn from the old hands who grew up under the old culture.

..... the older players mostly wouldn't understand that they even had the problem in them.

change was necessary, and any old dogs who didn't have long enough to change, & then to lead had to go.

This is why it is so important to import the old Pro players from elsewhere, to help Aid the Culture Shift, to a robust winning one. but retaining our old Favorites may have just allowed the Status-Quo to remain.

so a few good men have had to shift clubs over the last couple of years.

• Like 1

So don't. I didn't ask you to join a bandwagon. In fact I couldn't give a fried rats arse about any of your illiterate posts. You hate him. Good for you. He doesn't even know your name. Better for him.

Just out of interest did you cheer when he did good things, or did you find negatives in that too?

Truth hurts hey red.

This is why it is so important to import the old Pro players from elsewhere, to help Aid the Culture Shift, to a robust winning one. but retaining our old Favorites may have just allowed the Status-Quo to remain.

Rivers obviously rebelled against the previous coach which put him on the outer as Neeld had the 'my way or highway' approach.

I don't think any players would be on the 'Roos outer' as he is a great manager of people. He doesn't created the 'us and them' culture which Neeld did and his is clearly one of the big reasons Roos has the ability to get the best out of players.

I understand your thoughts here dee-luded but I think under a great leader like Roos we would still have Rivers on our list. Sylvia as well.

Roos met with Sylvia and continually said he is a required player. If he wasn't I doubt he would bullcrap on like he did.

Rivers obviously rebelled against the previous coach which put him on the outer as Neeld had the 'my way or highway' approach.

I don't think any players would be on the 'Roos outer' as he is a great manager of people. He doesn't created the 'us and them' culture which Neeld did and his is clearly one of the big reasons Roos has the ability to get the best out of players.

I understand your thoughts here dee-luded but I think under a great leader like Roos we would still have Rivers on our list. Sylvia as well.

Roos met with Sylvia and continually said he is a required player. If he wasn't I doubt he would bullcrap on like he did.

Sylvia had the chance to stay under Roos.

I think you are overthinking it. Both Rivers and Roos left to play with teams participating in the finals now as opposed to the possibility in a number years time under a Roos regime.

Sure in principle, but maybe not in reality. I'm not sure I'll ever look at Chook as anything but a traitor to the club and his ex team mates no matter what else he gave us, and if a 40 year old Scully was introduced at a function I'd walk out.

But that's all for a different time and place.

Col is a demon even if he got a bit lost and put on the wrong jumper for a bit.

I doubt Scully will ever see himself in the future as a Demon.

I am talking about those that wish to be embraced as a Demon - they should be embraced.

Pretty much my exact thoughts on Sylvia

Jeez you're a piece of work.

Well for starters I never abused anyone like carrot top did and I never once said I hated Sylvia so keep your ill informed opinions to yourself.

You Flogs are UNBELIEVABLE!!!

let him go and wish him well

You all loved him when he was a Dee

Now he's moved on,you all knife him in the back via your computer keyboard!!!

Move on and get a life.

Mods,can you shut down this thread or these gutless Flogs will come out in force each game that he doesn't star in

You Flogs are UNBELIEVABLE!!!

let him go and wish him well

You all loved him when he was a Dee

Now he's moved on,you all knife him in the back via your computer keyboard!!!

Move on and get a life.

Mods,can you shut down this thread or these gutless Flogs will come out in force each game that he doesn't star in

Relax J7….

• Like 1

Both Rivers and Silvia played their guts out in their final season. It would have been great to keep them both but I think we are in a much better state list wise. While Rivers for Gillies is a bit insulting, I think the Silvia pick for Vince provides us with more than if we kept Silvia.

We should pay them both respect for their service.

Interesting comparison....really...Rivers v Sylvia

One tried very very hard on most occasions had great ability to read the ball and limited abilities to use it. Damn good 3rd man in defence though despite limitations and costly clangers.

On over hand the other despite precocious ability and great skills could hardly get his arse into gear without serious nudging unless of course it was a looming contract that might incentivate. Seem to take th game on only ever in spurts and only ever when it seemed to suit and did so only in a particular fashion which often wasnt the best for team play.

I dont feel sorry for Col, nor do I hate him...hell I dont even rate him that high.

Dockers have bought a lemon...more fool them

Go Dees

• Like 1

Col tried at times, but not enough. Rivers put his body on the line many times and I think he did his best. We lost with Rivers and won with Sylvia. Good luck to both of them.