Colin Sylvia

Bobby McKenzie

Interesting how few of Melbourne's "failures" have managed to really kick on elsewhere. Col joins a shortish list of young retirees, alongside Gysberts and Morton. About the only exception is Stef Martin, though Old Dee's favourite player is at least a regular in WCE's firsts.

Good luck Col, hope you find doing what you really want to be doing rewarding.

All jokes aside just shows how far behind the 8ball we were as a club. Sure Col could off pushed himself harder but we as a club tolerated it. As Jones said on game day, over the pre season Roos handed ownership of the culture to the players, the fact the senior players such as Jones Dunn Tmac as well as new comers like Angus and Hogan all get 2-3 years under Roos is massive. There are no more excuses, this has to be player driven. We have recruited enough players from other clubs to know how it's done at more successful clubs. Players who meet expectations should be shown the door.

• Like 4

All jokes aside just shows how far behind the 8ball we were as a club. Sure Col could off pushed himself harder but we as a club tolerated it. As Jones said on game day, over the pre season Roos handed ownership of the culture to the players, the fact the senior players such as Jones Dunn Tmac as well as new comers like Angus and Hogan all get 2-3 years under Roos is massive. There are no more excuses, this has to be player driven. We have recruited enough players from other clubs to know how it's done at more successful clubs. Players who meet expectations should be shown the door.

I think that's what we did under the old regime, Al.

We now aim to retain players who meet expectations.

• Like 1

A life member of the MFC, I wish him well.

I would however pay to see Col in a motorcade at the G this Sunday, culminating in the vehicle crashing and Col running out of the stadium.

...but telling the club someone else was driving

• Like 2

Come come dc ...don't be coy. I'm sure that many bluerinsers still play the game and, subsequently, play your sordid little game.

it's a game, bbo? you mean like spin the bottle? we don't tolerate jokers in burwood, we send them on to oakleigh

• Like 1

it's a game, bbo? you mean like spin the bottle? we don't tolerate jokers in burwood, we send them on to oakleigh

Are they migrating from Williamstown to Burwood before their eventual arrival in Oakleigh?

Are they migrating from Williamstown to Burwood before their eventual arrival in Oakleigh?

don't think so col, apparently the trip by public transport is too long and its uphill for cyclists

besides there is currently a bounty in burwood on hipsters

don't think so col, apparently the trip by public transport is too long and its uphill for cyclists

besides there is currently a bounty in burwood on hipsters

Not sure there are hipsters in Williamstown. More like limousine liberals who would have lived in Camberwell in the 60's if the real estate prices hadn't gone through the roof along with a few of the old school types who have lived there all their life before the w***ers moved in.

Oh, I should get on topic.

A little surprised as I thought that this would happen at the end of this year but not overly surprised that it has happened. The language Lyon was using in the media was incredibly strong for the cliche ridden world of AFL. He clearly was not a fan. Those of us who had followed Col's career at the MFC would know why he was saying what he was saying.

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert

Not sure there are hipsters in Williamstown. More like limousine liberals who would have lived in Camberwell in the 60's if the real estate prices hadn't gone through the roof along with a few of the old school types who have lived there all their life before the w***ers moved in.

thanks for the update, col. been 20 years since i graced the salty charms of willy. that must be the windiest footy ground in victoria

Interesting how few of Melbourne's "failures" have managed to really kick on elsewhere. Col joins a shortish list of young retirees, alongside Gysberts and Morton. About the only exception is Stef Martin, though Old Dee's favourite player is at least a regular in WCE's firsts.

Stef was the only one I was sad to let go. I thought he was a great ruckman whenever he had the job to himself. Turns out I was right.

• Like 4

He suffered the doldrums at a sub-standard MFC for many years... without complaint.

I respect that.

Best Wishes Col with the next phase of your life.

Wow. What a post.

He was the [censored] cause of the doldrums.

• Like 4

Are they too funny for Burwood, DC? Or just too young? :) :)

Morton is playing with Coburg in the VFL and has been in the best

Col Sylvia for me sums up the last few years at Melbourne, a few moments of magic and then some serious hair tearing and gnashing of teeth, wonder if Richard Tambling will give him a ring to compare notes,

Wow. What a post.

He was the [censored] cause of the doldrums.

Really!? do you actually follow this club?

- 2010 Colin finishes 5th in B&F with 10 Brownlow votes - MFC coached by under siege Dean Bailey finish 12th with 8 wins.

- 2011 Colin finishes ?th in B&F with 10 Brownlow votes - MFC coached Sacked after Geelong fiasco, finish 13th with 8 wins.

- 2012 ... we thought it couldn't get worse... new coach... happy times Colin loses interest.

- 2013 ... see 2012 with another coach sacking... interim coach... Colin happy to exit at years end having once again finished 5th in B&F.

I'd call that the doldrums resulting from a sub-standard MFC for many years, that endured without complaint.

Edited by PaulRB
  • Like 2

Man what a serious waste of talent.. i liked Col and like everyone else i was waiting for him to just explode and become a bona fide star for us.

Even though he never lived up to his potential he still gave us 150 games of service. Its a said affair how it ended but when he goes to bed tonight surely he will reflect on his career and take responsibility for his lack luster effort. Reality will soon set in for him that he will have to work in the real world doing 9 to 5 job. Infact i think this will be just a bigger problem for him now. He never did any study or uni and never showed any interest in an off field employment to set him up after footy.

I think he is in serious trouble.

Really!? do you actually follow this club?

- 2010 Colin finishes 5th in B&F with 10 Brownlow votes - MFC coached by under siege Dean Bailey finish 12th with 8 wins.

- 2011 Colin finishes ?th in B&F with 10 Brownlow votes - MFC coached Sacked after Geelong fiasco, finish 13th with 8 wins.

- 2012 ... we thought it couldn't get worse... new coach... happy times Colin loses interest.

- 2013 ... see 2012 with another coach sacking... interim coach... Colin happy to exit at years end having once again finished 5th in B&F.

I'd call that the doldrums resulting from a sub-standard MFC for many years, that endured without complaint.

Nice to see a bit of balance.

The dislike/contempt for Col here and in the media is a bit strong. Lyon heavily plays favourites; Dawson and Pearce would not get a game elsewhere. And Lyon is responsible for the Saints current position = bottom: he oversaw the worst period of drafting in AFL/VFL history. And he walks into a ready to go Freo - lets see how Freo look in 3-5 years after Lyon has bankrupted them (talent wise).

Col certainly [censored] in someones nest. Sylvia isn't the last/only player to enjoy the nightlife, even if that is true.

• Like 3

Bit of a sad situation to be honest. I'm annoyed that he didn't seem to apply himself anywhere near as much as someone like Jones, despite clearly having immense natural talent.

Hopefully he doesn't regret this for the rest of his time and does find something that he is really driven for.

• Like 1

one has to wonder if he was pushed into leaving, that way they can probably promote a rookie or something to fill the void and probably save some money on his salary at the same time.

i doubt one has to wonder, deecisive.....lay down misere