Current injury / fitness status

Roos can't lose

I love an optimist.

PS. Stan Alves was a better player than Greg Wells . I think both came second in the Brownlow?

Not sure that I would agree MD

They were both good.

IMO Wells by a short half head.

Clark, Garland out for NAB Challenge

FWIW, this is the official injury list :lol:

Injury list: NAB Challenge, round one v Richmond

Mitch Clark (hamstring) – 3-4 weeks

Colin Garland (ankle) 4-6 weeks

Aidan Riley (leg) – 8 weeks

Did Riley have a setback, or are they just looking at Casey time? I spoke to him at training a couple of weeks ago and he thought he would be back in full training in a matter of days.

I am sure Georgiou will be the one uplifted if we uplift a rookie.

We may only have 3 on the injury list, but it's a shame that two out of the three are in our top 5 best players.

Would be handy having them, however, I maintain that it's far more important having a fit and firing midfield.

And by that, I mean about 15 or 16 potential mids fighting nail and tooth for limited spots in our best 22.

Hogan/Dawes and Frawley/Dunn/McDonald are fine for now. Garland will be back hopefully round 2 and Clark can wait for now.

We're not playing for finals just yet..

• Like 4

I checked the club site for the official injury list and it hasn't been updated so I'll take a stab that the three on last week's list are one week closer and I'll also add Luke Tapscott:-

Unofficial Injury list:

Mitch Clark (hamstring) – 2-3 weeks

Colin Garland (ankle) 3-5 weeks

Aidan Riley (leg) – 7 weeks

Luke Tapscott (medial ligament) - 2-3 weeks

Incidentally, the club hasn't updated the training times either so it looks like there will be no open training sessions in the near future.

They should change the name of rehab group to the Mitch Clark group, poor bugger can't cop a break and he must be fearing for his future, hopfully it works out for him.

Our injury list looks as good as it has in years, but I am beginning to think that Tappy and Mitch might be bonus players. They just can't seem to get their bodies up to a 22 game season. If - and it is now a very big if - they can get fit it is a bonus to our season, but we might need to fit our future plans around a team without them both.

The way Dawes was talking the club is taking an ultra conservative approach to managing the KPP, in particular himself and Clark. I don't see Mitch coming into the team before round 3 just purely because they are going to ease him into match fitness, as said above, there's no rush so let's make sure they are as sound in body (as much as possible at least) before we put them through the rigours of a match of any kind.

They should change the name of rehab group to the Mitch Clark group, poor bugger can't cop a break and he must be fearing for his future, hopfully it works out for him.

He is not Robinson Crusoe.

He is not Robinson Crusoe.

Mixing metaphors maybe .....you are not meaning our former singing flying forward, #24 Robertson Caruso?

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 2

Our injury list looks as good as it has in years, but I am beginning to think that Tappy and Mitch might be bonus players. They just can't seem to get their bodies up to a 22 game season. If - and it is now a very big if - they can get fit it is a bonus to our season, but we might need to fit our future plans around a team without them both.

Maldon i don't think Roosy would be planning the team's future around Tappy but he'd no doubt be crossing his fingers and toes for a fit Mitch ASAP. I have no idea but my gut feel is that the hamstring problem is a pretty minor issue albeit they'd be treating with kid gloves.

The metatarsus issue must be rearing its ugly head whenever they try to up the ante on the training track doing the basics. I'm not expecting to see him in full flight this side of mid season but it would be a nice bonus. Hate to see his career over this early over a cronic foot prob. Fingers crossed for a quick recovery though.

• Like 2

I checked the club site for the official injury list and it hasn't been updated so I'll take a stab that the three on last week's list are one week closer and I'll also add Luke Tapscott:-

Unofficial Injury list:

Mitch Clark (hamstring) – 2-3 weeks

Colin Garland (ankle) 3-5 weeks

Aidan Riley (leg) – 7 weeks

Luke Tapscott (medial ligament) - 2-3 weeks

Incidentally, the club hasn't updated the training times either so it looks like there will be no open training sessions in the near future.

Our injury list looks a lot better than a lot of other clubs. http://www.afl.com.au/news/injury-list

Geelong in particular is having a horror run. Christensen and Motlop are both very, VERY, good players and at the very least are another 2 months away. Now Vardy goes down with an ACL.

Mixing metaphors maybe .....you are not meaning our former singing flying forward, #24 Robertson Caruso?

I am confident you know what the phrase means Mono.

But just in case you don't it means you are not alone.

I am confident you know what the phrase means Mono.

But just in case you don't it means you are not alone.

old dee -- I have no idea what you mean :-)))

But nice to be in the company of so many dee fanatics

• Like 1

Our injury list looks a lot better than a lot of other clubs. http://www.afl.com.au/news/injury-list

Geelong in particular is having a horror run. Christensen and Motlop are both very, VERY, good players and at the very least are another 2 months away. Now Vardy goes down with an ACL.

Couple of observations: (1) are there more achilles injuries than usual?; and (2) interesting how many rookies (ie, draftees) are on the injured list, often with relatively serious injuries. I'm super glad we're treating our young kids properly and managing them through slowly.

• Like 1

I understand that there is alot of confusion on Clark and his extensive time off with the hamstring. But as Roos has suggested, when an athlete has been off their feet for such a long time, you can't just start running again and expect it all to just work again. Despite Clark doing leg excercises and rehab, it's not the same as running. So there's a lot of extra stress on muscles and ligaments etc, because they're all weaker than they had been prior to the big ankle injury, hence there's a good chance of straining other muscles eg blowing a hammy. In that condition you need to handle it appropriately. Hamstrings need to be treated carefully, they're never the same after a ping.

• Like 1

I'm confused about Gawn. Not on the injured list, yet from the reports of the intraclub match, he's not fit enough to be played in the ruck either.

I know he needs to build his tank to see out a game, but surely that's improved since last season?

Is he in a similar situation to Jamar, who's also not fully fit yet not on the injured list?