How much football have Demonland members played?

Nasher

Your footballing prowess  

286 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Played 280 games for the Berri demons in the Riverland football league which is in country SA, same club that Rhys Stanley now at the saints and Kaiden Brand at the Hawks are from.

Played in a 2002 premiership with Luke Taylor who delisted by Melbourne the year before, Robert Hanley was also in the side who previous played in a hawks night premiership (not sure of the year).

Still playing and hopefully can get to 300

• Like 1

Played 120 colts , reserves and 1 league game for WAFL club back in the late 90's ( most of alongside Woey). Trained with Dockers but never had the skill or professionalism to go to the next level. Ended up playing 130 games for A grade amateur club but was cruelled by knee & shoulder recon's. Was lucky enough to coach an undefeated premiership side and be awarded life membership and Team of the decade for my amateur club. Now with 3 kids and a sore body.

• Like 4

Played 120 colts , reserves and 1 league game for WAFL club back in the late 90's ( most of alongside Woey). Trained with Dockers but never had the skill or professionalism to go to the next level. Ended up playing 130 games for A grade amateur club but was cruelled by knee & shoulder recon's. Was lucky enough to coach an undefeated premiership side and be awarded life membership and Team of the decade for my amateur club. Now with 3 kids and a sore body.

I spent the 90's wearing the red and black in the WAFL, East Freo was always a good club back then I hated playing at East Freo Oval, the fact we lost most games there never helped

I played for Uni Reds under legendary coach, Kenny Frencham(of "pair off in threes" fame).

Our first year we were in the Metropolitan Football League, playing against Fawkner, Merlynston, Reservoir(before they joined the Ammos),Brunswick Districts, westgarth AllBlacks, etc

They hated us Uni snobs and there were some pretty violent clashes.

A few of my team mates were Demon supporters,Jim Smith, "Laughing"Alan hall, and Pat Smith( not the journo). I often wonder if any of my old team mates(or opponents) are Demonlanders.

Kenny Frencham later coached West Brunswick in the Amateurs, where I started senior footy.

Overlooked as a Zone Selection player by Richmond in the 1980s, I struggled to play any kind of meaningful football outside of a handful of appearances in final two years of high school footy. ie, Zero games anywhere of any note whatsoever.

I am however,a veteran of more than 500 AFL games as a spectator.

25s game over 3 seasons and eventual Captain of Box Hill Tech, 150+ games at Pioneers in ESCFA in A & B grade only and was DVC for a couple of seasons.

Vice captained U 17 Interleague side against West Gippsland League, had a few training runs at Hawthorn and a couple of years at the Zebra's in the EFL.

Played a bit of footy with Crozier and Marshall at Pioneers. Marshall was a freak but a touch undersized. I was always a full back, could kick it a bit.

Hey Still Waiting

You were a year ahead of me I think. Adelphians were largely made up of Box Hill tech or Koonung guys. You would have played school footy with was it Erwin Spurl? And did you play with or against a guy called Valkenberg? He played centre half forward in under 17's and I got the biggest bath of all time aginst this guy, big learning curve for me at the time. The team got smashed as well. I hadn't played much footy but he seemed to have talent in spades. Wonder where he got to. I went to Swinburne with one of Adelphians best rovers of that time but I can not remember his name, Peter someone, great guy.

I spent the 90's wearing the red and black in the WAFL, East Freo was always a good club back then I hated playing at East Freo Oval, the fact we lost most games there never helped

I heard stories of players being brought over from Victoria who had one look at East Fremantle Oval, saw the size of it and thought no this is not for me. Red & Black the pig pen with the can bar is probably still the best place to watch suburban footy.

You two boys I would assume are southsiders or from the country zones, northside boy played at Ocean Ridge & Warwick. It was the West Perth District in the old days but by the time I hit my teens it was the Subi zone

Strangely the body is in good knick apart from a couple of fingers that don't look normal.

Frank Hogan from SA and Bill Cody ex St Kilda were two of the coaches that I remember.

Keith Warburton the Carlton freak was around too.

I remember giving Dickie Clay, the Richmond wing/full back a bath one day. He was only about 17 at the time.

Tom Hafey was the Shepparton coach.

Good times, good memories.

Ah now there is a blast from the past

I remember him taking marks like a soccer goalie

When i was at Portland we had Doug Beasy from Carlton always raving about him

Hey Still Waiting

You were a year ahead of me I think. Adelphians were largely made up of Box Hill tech or Koonung guys. You would have played school footy with was it Erwin Spurl? And did you play with or against a guy called Valkenberg? He played centre half forward in under 17's and I got the biggest bath of all time aginst this guy, big learning curve for me at the time. The team got smashed as well. I hadn't played much footy but he seemed to have talent in spades. Wonder where he got to. I went to Swinburne with one of Adelphians best rovers of that time but I can not remember his name, Peter someone, great guy.

I think you might have the wrong man 'Hood'. Very close though.

I can't remember the Peter guys name either but I know who you mean.

East Freo is Blue and White (Sharks) - East Freo Oval - Most WAFL Premierships

Perth is Red and Black (Demons) - Lathlain Park (Now the WCE training Ground)- - Not won a Premiership since 1977 and does not look close to winning another. They struggly to keep a team together from one season to the next.

Edited by TheBigFrog

East Freo is Blue and White (Sharks) - East Freo Oval - Most WAFL Premierships

Perth is Red and Black (Demons) - Lathlain Park (Now the WCE training Ground)- - Not won a Premiership since 1977 and does not look close to winning another. They struggly to keep a team together from one season to the next.

The Perth Demons and Melbourne Demons are mirror images, both clubs had dominate periods through the 50's and 60's, Perth extended this into the 70's and from then on the premiership drought for both clubs.

Perth burn there juniors coming through always looking for that quick fix. They had a strong zone, but like the MFC couldn't develop what they had and went after no good players mainly from Victoria.

Back then Not many Victoria players did well in WA due to the size of the grounds, every oval except Freo Oval was as big if not bigger than Waverly Park. When I was done playing, I played in Victoria for a couple of years, loved it the ovals were so small, harder footy but didn't have to run that much.

The Perth Demons and Melbourne Demons are mirror images, both clubs had dominate periods through the 50's and 60's, Perth extended this into the 70's and from then on the premiership drought for both clubs.

Perth burn there juniors coming through always looking for that quick fix. They had a strong zone, but like the MFC couldn't develop what they had and went after no good players mainly from Victoria.

Back then Not many Victoria players did well in WA due to the size of the grounds, every oval except Freo Oval was as big if not bigger than Waverly Park. When I was done playing, I played in Victoria for a couple of years, loved it the ovals were so small, harder footy but didn't have to run that much.

My Grandparents were Passionate Perth Supporters for so many Years. Even my Father became one as he lived so close to Lathlain Oval.

It a Pity they are so poorly rule and have no hope of winning another flag in the next 30 plus years.

But as long as the Mighty Blue and Red keep winning I can live with that.

C'mon the Cardies!

Kenny Frencham later coached West Brunswick in the Amateurs, where I started senior footy.

Do you by any chance know if Kenny's still alive? Possibly not, since he was morbidly obese in the 70s.

We've tried to contact him for Uni Reds reunions, but no-one has seen or heard of him for years. He was a real character, much loved by his players at Uni.

Never really played either footy or cricket although I went to school with Carl Dietriech and other AFL players. Did manage to get an Australian Government Sports Acheivement Award in another sport but AFL is definately the best spectator sport in the world, even though I chose another direction as a participant.

Did anyone else on here play in the Bendigo Football League, Maryborough-Castlemaine League, or the Horsham District League? In each of these Leagues there was always one poor sod who should have played AFL:

Shane Muir from Kyneton. Unstoppable gun who was considered too short. He is still the best country footballer I played with.

Brian Kelly from Maldon. Best mark pound-for-pound I have ever seen.

Roger Clinton from Gerang-Kiata. Amazing physique and attack on the footy but a fair dinkum psychopath. Nutcase.

Played junior footy and seniors in country (Broken Hill) and then in Sth Aust Southern League after moving to Adelaide. Retired from club footy at age 39 and then played in over 35's comp for 4 years. Played footy for 34 of my 46 years. I am guessing around 500 games.

• Like 1

played 5 years in Southern League for Tooronga-Malvern (1sts and 2nds). Then 3 years for Highett - mainly in the 1sts (but in 2nds at the end). I was like a Dean Laidley type before I realised I was a good average player.

Finished in 1999 and then enjoyed watching the Demons march to the GF in 2000 ... never went back. At 27, my dream of an AFL career was over

Overlooked as a Zone Selection player by Richmond in the 1980s, I struggled to play any kind of meaningful football outside of a handful of appearances in final two years of high school footy. ie, Zero games anywhere of any note whatsoever.

I am however,a veteran of more than 500 AFL games as a spectator.

Hope they were not all Melbourne games!

Played 200+ games in junior football. Before 18 I had played about 50 rep games, and a few under-16s Northern Knights.

Made the under 18s squad of 40 back in late-2002. At the same time I was training to go to the US for 3 months on a basketball tour.

While over there, I fractured my coccyx bone. Managed to get healthy quickly, but when I started training again in Jan 2003, I had a host of leg problems.

First I had really painful knees and needed to get some draining.

Then I developed a fracture on my left (kicking) leg's fibula.

THEN I developed OP, which got so bad half-way through year 12 that I missed 2 weeks of school because I could hardly get out of bed.

Before all that, anyway, I didn't make the final TAC Cup squad. Maybe injuries, maybe not good enough. A combination of both.

Played 50 or so games in the Northern Football League -- under-19s and seniors -- before "retiring" in 2005.

Haven't played since. Still train every day but my legs just aren't up to playing competitive sport. I'm only 27.

The fact I was the height I am now -- 6'2 -- when I was 10. I went through a massive growth spurt very early. And at one stage I was playing basketball, tennis, football, karate and swimming. I think it was too much strain on my body.

Grew up playing in the GVFL, played 9 seasons of under's, then ran around in the magoo's for a few seasons with my mates until I decided to hang up the boots and lip my mates from the other side of the fence as I didn't have the time for training anymore with work.. Love footy..

Retired at 35 (4 years) all up 30 consecutive seasons! Started as a 5 year old playing Balwyn under 10's. Junior footy at Balwyn/school footy in APS, got to under17s at Hawthorn the year before they scrapped the under 19 system ( to start the TAC cup). Ammo's at Old Scotch and Old Camberwell. 2 years in playing in Broken Hill then finally 10 years in Nth Queensland. A few premierships along the way - out of footy circles since 2009. Reckon it's about time to start some coaching and pass on some of the footy knowledge

I started at Balwyn High then to Balwyn Under 17s Youth club where we actually played MFC Under 17s [ 4ths ] on the G. Doubt we scored I was too busy looking into the stands [ empty ] !

I then progressed to play under Brian Beers {ex woods star] coaching at Balwyn [circa mid 60s ] in SESL

My best posy was club treasurer ! My best kick was puntkick !

Country footballer that came through the TAC cup with the bushies and played with some very good AFL today.

Went over to the SANFL to have a year under Former demon player Clay Sampson then back to Victoria to the VFL with Coburg who interestingly was coached by Jade Rawlings for half the year before he took over from Terry Wallace.

Played EDFL for Northern Saints now back up the country playing the strong Ovens and Murray league (Fev League) and still going today ^_^

Though didn't have a really good year this year battled hamstring problems... :unsure:

Great thread could snag a few recruits for the forum games Lol

O and M [ Kosi league ]

Any clues which club your with ?

Like to maybe come and watch