Jimmy Toumpas 2014

dazzledavey36

He has shown no X factor, reminds me of a pick 60, making his way through the system, from day one you could see it in Travis and Robbie Flower, you have it or you don't.

Not something you find in a few years, ask Cale, Tappy, Bater, Little Tommy, Trengrove..

I have researched hard, hoped, watched replays, but it just isn't there.

Best of luck to the young lad, but it will take a miracle and then some.

Now, don't go upsetting the good folks of 'land, Bluey.

I fully expect a retraction of your comments about young Dmitri by season 2015's end.

Now, don't go upsetting the good folks of 'land, Bluey.

I fully expect a retraction of your comments about young Dmitri by season 2015's end.

Come now angrydee - surely you don't thing everybody here on Demonland agrees with one simple viewpoint or that we would be upset when someone expresses a contrary view?

Bluey's comments are welcome here even if they're misguided or wrong, as long as they lead to healthy debate and not personal abuse.

I happen to disagree on Jimmy T, having witnessed his leadership, silky skills and decision making at state under 18 level. He didn't show a great deal this year and I was disappointed. Perhaps it was the limitations put on him by two hip operations twelve or so months ago that restricted his pre season, perhaps it was poor coaching, a lack of confidence or simply the fact that he was in the wrong environment and playing in a sh1t team?

On the other hand, I seem to recall a young bloke at a sh1t team in 2012 named Chad Wingard who struggled with a few injuries and who was very hot and cold in his first season while showing some signs of promise. He blossomed this year into an All Australian in a side that improved dramatically from one season to the next when the environment changed dramatically under a new coach.

I often quote a philosopher who said: "Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." That means if you want to end up a winner in life you don't dwell too much on past misfortunes but rather, you learn from them and move forward - Port did it in 2013. We can do it as well in 2014 and Jimmy can play his part.

• Like 4

Nice quote WJ, and so pertinent to the constant revisionism that goes on here. When I first saw Toumpas preseason my first thought was that his hand and foot skills were an exception to all others on our list, truly elite. Then seeing patches of his best play this year, I realised that apart from the fact that being low on confidence in a tragic team can make you look lost, what we have is a faster, taller, potential Sam Mitchell. His decision making and disposal off a step is unique. With time, confidence, and more on field support, that's Jimmy Toumpas

• Like 3

I'm still of the opinion that Wines would not have looked as good at MFC as he did at Port this year, the support around the midfield, the leadership of the club and coaching is totally different, so from that viewpoint i am not doubting for a second taking Toumpas was the right call.

Toumpas reminds me of a Travis Jonstone that works his ass off, but as others have said a huge confidence player, when he's up he will be way up, when he's down he might go missing a little but but i'm very confident he will be a star

• Like 2

Needs to harden up and stop being a weak squib

So just how many games of AFL have you played ??

You try coming into your first year of AFL with no pre season and playing in a team like Melbourne. I'm not saying he was the toughest out there but he sure did have plenty of mates.

I'm sure you will be eating those words when after a full pre season he gets his confidence and zip back and uses his elite kicking to good effect.

Saw Smiley get absolutely smashed three times in the last quarter of a Casey match earlier in the year, one was just in front of me, wore a bump that made me cringe.

On each occasion I saw him get up, groggy, shake it off and run for the next contest.

It's why I have faith that Toumpas will be a gun and why I know you're as knowledgable on all things football as Bluey is

• Like 4

Cook, Morton, Gysberts, Watts, Tapscott, Scully, Trengove...all were anointed as future superstars.

Can we just wait this time and let him develop without the fanfare.

Couldn't agree more - we have had so many over the last decade particularly who have been described as "...he will be an absolute gun...."

I have great confidence that he will be a very good player, possibly an A-grader, but he isn't and won't be until he is !

Come now angrydee - surely you don't thing everybody here on Demonland agrees with one simple viewpoint or that we would be upset when someone expresses a contrary view?

Bluey's comments are welcome here even if they're misguided or wrong, as long as they lead to healthy debate and not personal abuse.

I happen to disagree on Jimmy T, having witnessed his leadership, silky skills and decision making at state under 18 level. He didn't show a great deal this year and I was disappointed. Perhaps it was the limitations put on him by two hip operations twelve or so months ago that restricted his pre season, perhaps it was poor coaching, a lack of confidence or simply the fact that he was in the wrong environment and playing in a [censored] team?

On the other hand, I seem to recall a young bloke at a [censored] team in 2012 named Chad Wingard who struggled with a few injuries and who was very hot and cold in his first season while showing some signs of promise. He blossomed this year into an All Australian in a side that improved dramatically from one season to the next when the environment changed dramatically under a new coach.

I often quote a philosopher who said: "Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." That means if you want to end up a winner in life you don't dwell too much on past misfortunes but rather, you learn from them and move forward - Port did it in 2013. We can do it as well in 2014 and Jimmy can play his part.

Many forget that Port were totally written off by the majority of objective footy fans and commentator before this season, and look how well they did with new guidance and direction.

We have gained a far more experienced coach, who has tasted the sweet joy of success, and in whom I have great confidence that he will get the very best out of all our players, and we will se those who have the talent make the grade, for a change.

Go Dees. Go Roos. Go Dimitri.

Pretty tough stuff from a "keyboard warrior."

Do you seriously think anyone who steps out onto an AFL field is a weak squib? Some of course are harder than others, but weak squibs have been weeded out long ago at Junior, probably VicKick level.

Edited by monoccular

Saw Smiley get absolutely smashed three times in the last quarter of a Casey match earlier in the year, one was just in front of me, wore a bump that made me cringe.

On each occasion I saw him get up, groggy, shake it off and run for the next contest.

It's why I have faith that Toumpas will be a gun and why I know you're as knowledgable on all things football as Bluey is

My first up close sighting of him was on the Gold Coast in one of the Nab games. In the related thread I commented that there was a moment where he'd been put under pressure and had his weight on the back foot and had to quickly regain his position and prepare for contact. I thought the opposition player was favourite to get to the contest first. Toumpas not only regained his balance, he committed his body low to the contest, got there first and then spun away untouched. He won't become Archer but he doesn't lack ticker.

• Like 5

The Toumpas is soft notion makes me chuckle. He isn't a Jack Viney but he isn't soft.

I am more confident in Toumpas than I am in most other 'potential' players, especially if his hips are ok. A rest for his body and a full pre season should give him the base he needs.

• Like 2

He severely underachieved in his first season and I wasn't too happy with him. Made amends in the last couple of games when he got back in the team though. There were plenty of softness/speed/decision making concerns and was horribly coached under Mark.N. If we are going to raise our midfield standards Jimmy will have to raise his considerably to be in the team, needs more of a damaging/attacking edge and was lucky to get as many games as he did

• Like 1

Severely underachieved?

A lot of kids don't even play any games in their first season.

He's hardly a man-child.

What an idiotic appraisal.

A case in point is the number 2 draft pick, Jonathan O'Rourke, who managed a solitary game for the wooden spooners.

Edited by Ben-Hur
  • Like 1

So being smashed in a bump makes you tough? And because you wore it you are tough/hard/not a squib? LOL. When he is right in there in the clinches and doesn't duck his head I'll change my opinion.

So being smashed in a bump makes you tough? And because you wore it you are tough/hard/not a squib? LOL. When he is right in there in the clinches and doesn't duck his head I'll change my opinion.

Joel Selwood, Scott Selwood, Paul Puopolo, Luke Shuey...... there are some more if you want me to go on? players who 'Duck their head'... It's smart football because of the rules.. you just inadvertently proved he is a smart football player.