bush demon

I just read the article...

I think Liam could do well to get away from up there & come back to Melbourne to live. But maybe to live down around the Casey outskirts areas.

a year at the Scorps?

& I wonder if the AFL would allow a reengagement of his place, onto our future rookie list... maybe even a mid season rookie draft could happen?

I'd like to see him spend some time playing VFL for some time first, to see how he's coping.

• Like 2

I'd have him back in a heart beat.

Imagine how damaging he could be with key defenders having to prioritise between Clark, Dawes, Hogan, Howe and LJ?!

• Like 1

It could be a good thing, although we do have a glut of forwards at the moment. I could see us with Jurrah on one wing and Watts on the other though. Could be interesting.

Jesus the opposition would love it when we turn it over. They'd go coast to coast without either player getting out of jog.

• Like 3

Should play in Darwin later this year, then come back to Melbourne and play a season at Casey or other VFL side proving he can stay out of trouble and be happy in Melbourne and then he should nominate for the PSD/Rookie drafts at the end of next year. I think other clubs would most likely let us have him if we were part of the process of getting him back to footy.

The question is not if he's good enough but if he will work incredibly hard. Even when he was with us he didn't work hard enough on the field.

Jurrah would be more of a risk at any other club, it does appear that he has great support from the MFC.

We can probably thank Bailey for that.

At this stage I would not like to see him back. But if he went to Casey and played out a full season with no dramas then he deserves consideration. It is up to him to bend over backwards this time around.

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 2

At this stage I would not like to see him back. But if he went to Casey and played out a full season with no dramas then he deserves consideration. It is up to him to bend over backwards this time around.

Agree with that. Missed a hell of a lot of football. Even at his best there were still aspects of his game that fell short of what is required And when he returns to try at this level he needs to have address those fundamental aspects.

I am not sure with the other options we have up forward that the urgency on getting Jurrah back. He has a number of bridges to repair before he is even a chance to play again.

There are a lot of big "ifs" about getting him back at the Dees, and a lot of factors - both personal and professional - have to align, but to have him back doing what he does best would get my three kids who are members back to the footy. I would be stoked to see him in red and blue again.

Head says no, heart says yes. In a god-awful year, the romance of the whole thing would be more appealing than ever.

I am hopeless, I admit it. Should go away, shut up and leave you all alone. Probably will.

But I would buy another membership, take me grown-up kids to the footy again, forgive everything, and love it like I used to back in the day when it was Robbie Flower vs the world pretty much, walloped on the weekly basis - I'd be in, if we kept Watts and got Jurrah back. No head involved whatsoever. The whole thing is about heart! and the magical world of the impossible happening out there right in front of you...

• Like 2

the defensive side of footy has to become a priority or it won't workout. we need more than a derek kickett... we need a Micky O'L..

Wow all good and dandy to say jurrah would slot straight into the side but until he mans up a bit and starting taking responsible for himself instead of [censored] in peoples faces constantly for trying to help him with his issues then its a big NO. Seriously this guy is so far back from AFL that its not even worth mentioning him of even putting on a AFL jumper. The guy has been busted a couple of times drink driving, assulting his missus, bashing blokes and also trying to hide from the cops.

Time to man up a bit Jurrah and take responsible for your actions!

There are a multitude of barriers and obstacles for Liam, and for the club, to overcome for this to happen.

But IF all these can be overcome then it will have taken just what he and we need - a hell of a lot of dedication and hard work firstly from Liam, but also from the club - and could be a win win situation.

But the barriers include Liam's mental and physical fitness, and AFL recruitment rules (ie are there any "special provisions" that could enable him to return to us, or would he have to come via a draft?

As regards a mentor - this "revelation" coincides with Aaron's retirement announcement. Aaron seemed very happy with what the club has done for him, and how it has made him what he is. If that is all as it seems, maybe Aaron could be just the man to mentor Liam.

So, to sum up, sounds a pretty fanciful scenario, but were it to come off and were he to perform on the field as he had at his best, then it would represent a welcome "good news story". Can't see it happening for 2014 though.

Edited by monoccular

I am hopeless, I admit it. Should go away, shut up and leave you all alone. Probably will.

But I would buy another membership, take me grown-up kids to the footy again, forgive everything, and love it like I used to back in the day when it was Robbie Flower vs the world pretty much, walloped on the weekly basis - I'd be in, if we kept Watts and got Jurrah back. No head involved whatsoever. The whole thing is about heart! and the magical world of the impossible happening out there right in front of you...

I'm with you brother. The heart should rule! I hate the daily references to the business of footy or the "industry". And don't get me started on franchises. The Liam Jurrah story was one of the biggest positives of the past seven years but the ending was obviously one of the lowest. Jurrah won't play another game of AFL - certainly not at the MFC but we, the emotional, heart on sleeve supporters are surely allowed to dream of the perfect ending and continue to consider what if . . . .

• Like 1

At his best Liam was brilliant to watch and the fact we stole him from the Pies made him almost perfect. He could do things on the field that seperated him from even other indigenous players and Stevie J.

If he reformed his past ways every team would take him. If not he is a distraction that our club can't afford. Classic risk versus reward