Bombers scandal: charged, <redacted> and <infracted>

Jonesbag

It was poor form from Essendon to announce James Hird would not only be staying on as coach once his suspension was served but he would also benefit from an extension to his contract. That being the case I wouldn't cry any tears for Hird and his Bombers if ASADA and its strict liability requirements ensure that when he returns he won't have much of a team to speak about.

To add to the farce, its apparently been announced that Hird will be doing special comments during the finals for Triple M. Another poor decision and I'll certainly be avoiding that radio station from now on.

Are you going by the tweet from mmm footy about this weekend, because I think they mean Dunstall and Carey are calling together for the first time. Im pretty sure Hirds not doing special comments

Are you going by the tweet from mmm footy about this weekend, because I think they mean Dunstall and Carey are calling together for the first time. Im pretty sure Hirds not doing special comments

Hird or Carey. Both are complete DH.

The opening round of the finals is only ¾ finished and already Collingwood and Essendon are out on their backsides.

Two of the AFL's big crowd drawing teams gone and one more today.

Bad news for the AFL's bottom line and that's all that matters.

The opening round of the finals is only ¾ finished and already Collingwood and Essendon are out on their backsides.

Two of the AFL's big crowd drawing teams gone and one more today.

Bad news for the AFL's bottom line and that's all that matters.

Football is not about making money.

IMO it about the MFC winning as many Flags as it can everyelse is a side show.

Tell that to the AFL and tell it to the bikie gangs who the ACC was investigating when it found a link between organised crime, importation of banned substances and the two main football codes in this county.

Sadly, its still the $ that rules.

Sadly I have to agree the code is just turned in to a money making machine.

But I still hold out hope it more than that.

LOL

Sadly I have to agree the code is just turned in to a money making machine.

But I still hold out hope it more than that.

LOL

That is the reason we are a big chance to get a PP. A weak MFC means losing money for the AFL and its clubs. Pity the Presidents and Coaches of the other clubs can't admit that publicly.

Even Gerard Whately said let the MFC have another poor year before they get a PP. Robbo said, "what, an eighth year of non competitive crap, no way".

still think jab Watson will have a case to answer in the near future

press now quiet because of finals,but get ready 65% chance its gonna happen

still think jab Watson will have a case to answer in the near futurepress now quiet because of finals,but get ready 65% chance its gonna happen

Jazza you must be devastated nothing said about essendopes for 10 days!

I reckon it will be into early 2014 before we hear anymore.

NRL is the next cab IMO.

Jazza you must be devastated nothing said about essendopes for 10 days!

I reckon it will be into early 2014 before we hear anymore.

NRL is the next cab IMO.

mmmmmm2 thoughts about this issue

the afl want it sorted before trade /draft

1Watson gone and afl hoping bombers resign as many as possible before the news hits,to avoid other conflicts

2,its all over ,the horse has bolted

Actually, dwarves are the next big thing in the AFL.

uuummmm think their already here sotd

essendongot one as prez

hawthorn got one as coach

north play one for P?C correctness ie Harvey

Collinwood have a coach with a dwarf brain

Richmond have supporters with dwarf brains

st Kilda have just been behind the trend and are now catching up

I caught up with Foxtel's The Back Page last night and Roy Masters made some interesting comments on the doping scandal.

This is definitely not going to go away according to Masters who believes ASADA's final reports will be out by the end of the year and that between 20 to 30 infraction notices will be issued against players of each code (AFL and NRL).

I sincerely hope that our club won't be one of those about to feel some pain.

I caught up with Foxtel's The Back Page last night and Roy Masters made some interesting comments on the doping scandal.

This is definitely not going to go away according to Masters who believes ASADA's final reports will be out by the end of the year and that between 20 to 30 infraction notices will be issued against players of each code (AFL and NRL).

disagree entirely. I hope that none of our players have taken anything they shouldn't have. however, if they have, they should be punished as strongly as possible.

disagree entirely. I hope that none of our players have taken anything they shouldn't have. however, if they have, they should be punished as strongly as possible.

What are you disagreeing entirely about? WJ didn't say he hopes guilty MFC players get off. You read too much into the sentence you bolded.

I think you'll find that the AFL/ASADA may have already settled on things Jack. Bombers out of the finals at just the right time for AFL.

That is, maximise revenue during regular season but just in time to avoid any tainting of finals series and allow a clean run in the press, back again WITHOUT player infractions/suspensions to start 2014 season in full swing. All about minimising losses and maximising revenue.

Nothing unusual though. Big Business practises and those pulling the strings at same will almost always closely follow a path towards maximising the almighty $.

I think you'll find that the AFL/ASADA may have already settled on things Jack. Bombers out of the finals at just the right time for AFL.

That is, maximise revenue during regular season but just in time to avoid any tainting of finals series and allow a clean run in the press, back again WITHOUT player infractions/suspensions to start 2014 season in full swing. All about minimising losses and maximising revenue.

Nothing unusual though. Big Business practises and those pulling the strings at same will almost always closely follow a path towards maximising the almighty $.

You are kidding yourself.... if you think the AFL holds any sway over ASADA, then think again. ASADA are answerable to WADA and if found to be doing sweetheart deals with any sporting organisations so that they don't suffer too much inconvenience, there would be all hell to pay. ASADA will NOT be doing any deals with the AFL.

• Like 1

You are kidding yourself.... if you think the AFL holds any sway over ASADA, then think again. ASADA are answerable to WADA and if found to be doing sweetheart deals with any sporting organisations so that they don't suffer too much inconvenience, there would be all hell to pay. ASADA will NOT be doing any deals with the AFL.

ASADA exists to implement and uphold WADA protocols which the Federal Government has signed up to and funds ASADA.

ASADA is not answerable to the AFL.

There is huge risks for ASADA, the AFL and ASADAs stakeholder for the actual or perceived doing of deals or tainting of the process of investigation.

Indeed there is likely to be huge scrutiny on ASADA and its processes when the AFL/NRL investigations.

You have to wonder about those that harbour the belief in absence of any facts that the AFL and ASADA are co hoots on this matter.

• Like 2

I don't think some people understand the process we are going through here. It doesn't matter what either the NFL/AFL or their clubs think, laying infraction notices and the subsequent legal outcomes is initially entirely in the hands of ASADA. The legal process will run its course no matter what the players do.

Furthermore, if WADA, the world body, thinks the local body, in our case ASADA has squibbed it, they have the power to impose their own sanctions which over ride everything else. And lest people believe "well that won't happen" it has happened in the last four years in cycling, swimming, football, and baseball.

If Essendon are guilty and and all the evidence suggests they are, no amount of expensive PR and legal teams will help them, and "appealing to the court of public opinion" as they say they want to do, will help them even less.

I predict by Febrary next year, about ten Essendon players will get infraction notices, and another three ex Essendon players at other clubs. All will be given 2year sentences, and then watch the writs fly. Essendon will be essentially broke by the end of 2014 and will be bailed out by the AFL. The bill will be enormous and will stretch even the AFL's very deep pockets

I also suggest this is nothing for us non Esendon supporters to be happy about. It will seriously hurt the whole competition, including the emerging Demons.

Edited by Dees2014

Furthermore, if WADA, the world body, thinks the local body, in our case ASADA has squibbed it, they have the power to impose their own sanctions which over ride everything else. And lest people believe "well that won't happen" it has happened in the last four years in cycling, swimming, football, and baseball.

Good post, however technically i don''t think WADA can impose any sanctions punishment per se.