Jack Fitzpatrick

Although we have to be careful about who we simply move on, particularly if Jamar shows leadership around the club, in the case of GWS offering us Adams or Shiel you'd take it every day of the week. Thinking we should get a pick plus one of their young guns for an aging at best 'ordinary' ruckman sounds like biased optimism to me.

Shiel, no chance. Adams is out of contract and looking to come back to Victoria. GWS may be prepared to take Jamar in return as opposed to losing him to the draft. Either way, I'd like to club to make a big play at Adams.

• Like 1

Shiel, no chance. Adams is out of contract and looking to come back to Victoria. GWS may be prepared to take Jamar in return as opposed to losing him to the draft. Either way, I'd like to club to make a big play at Adams.

Per season draft for Adams. Screw em over like they did us with Scully (although in the end the screwed themselves over)

• Like 1

Although we have to be careful about who we simply move on, particularly if Jamar shows leadership around the club, in the case of GWS offering us Adams or Shiel you'd take it every day of the week. Thinking we should get a pick plus one of their young guns for an aging at best 'ordinary' ruckman sounds like biased optimism to me.

I meant they would ask for one of our picks not the other way round. I would trade Jamar plus a pick around 30 for Adams.

• Like 2

Oh I don't think either of them are very likely. I was speaking purely hypothetically.

I meant they would ask for one of our picks not the other way round. I would trade Jamar plus a pick around 30 for Adams.

Ah. In that case, I agree.

Not that we need him, but Kristian Jaksch is desperate to come back to Melbourne.

Is he a tall defender or forward? Wasn't he recruited as very good talent, good athlete could be forward or back at AFL level types.

I know we are well placed for talls but if he is a defender I'd be interested if we could get him very cheap. He'd be one for us to keep an eye on.

He has been great recently, but really needs to sort out that ball "drop".

He almost throws it up rather than dropping it.

If he can get that right, he'll be a real weapon.

I agree that his action looks weird but he has pretty good skills for a big man I think, especially considering his age. Seems to be a case of ugly but effective.

Certainly a better kick than Tippett, field kicking and shot for goal.

I thought this topic was about Jack Fitzpatrick, not yet another one about players who can't get games for other clubs but we should be interested

It is probably better than a new thread Saty!!!

Jack may look deceptively "nous-less", but he does have smarts. Knows when to lead, where to lead and leads well in his timing. Covers the ground extremely well for a guy 200cm, quick off the mark and he'll be hard to hold in a couple of years if his performance against quality opposition is anything to go by. The one knock I've always had on him is his kicking on set shots, that was the knock on him in the U18's and remains so with his drop and follow through. To me his last couple of goals yesterday still looked a little awkward but they were effective nevertheless. There is improvement there.

Those applicants for the MFC coaching job may want to have a good look at yesterdays game. I hope they were at the ground and watched his workrate and timing. Impressive.

• Like 3

Agree with HT about the kicking. Also he had a tendency to drop too many marks. On sunday I didn't see him fumble any marks.

If he continues to hold his marks and improve his kicking that alone will make him dangerous. Add his speed and manoeuvrability we could have a future star

I should add that when he connects he has a thumping kick

Watched him a lot at training, he really puts in and given all his health/injury problems he deserves to suceed

• Like 5

Agree with HT about the kicking. Also he had a tendency to drop too many marks. On sunday I didn't see him fumble any marks.

If he continues to hold his marks and improve his kicking that alone will make him dangerous. Add his speed and manoeuvrability we could have a future star

I should add that when he connects he has a thumping kick

Watched him a lot at training, he really puts in and given all his health/injury problems he deserves to suceed

He is six or seven games in, now he has his eye in for the marking, under AFL pressure, he really wants to hold his place, expect to see the same effort against the Cats

• Like 2

I also like what Fitzpatrick adds defensively. For a tall he has great close down speed and a real willingness to chase. Combine him with Dawes who came with a great reputation for working hard without the ball at Collingwood and Hogan who has shown a real appetite for tackling and harassing on the rare occasions he hasn't clunked it at Casey and we have the makings of a disciplined hardworking forwardline. Now we just need to find a Rioli and a 2004/2005 Aaron Davey.

• Like 3

Not that we need him, but Kristian Jaksch is desperate to come back to Melbourne.

Apparently the Dogs and Blues are into him. He has friends at the Dogs and both clubs need a key forward. He is the consolation prize to Boyd.

I also like what Fitzpatrick adds defensively. For a tall he has great close down speed and a real willingness to chase. Combine him with Dawes who came with a great reputation for working hard without the ball at Collingwood and Hogan who has shown a real appetite for tackling and harassing on the rare occasions he hasn't clunked it at Casey and we have the makings of a disciplined hardworking forwardline. Now we just need to find a Rioli and a 2004/2005 Aaron Davey.

Rioli and a 2004/2005 Aaron Davey are the same person.

• Like 3

He is six or seven games in, now he has his eye in for the marking, under AFL pressure, he really wants to hold his place, expect to see the same effort against the Cats

That's a bold statement.

• Like 2

I hope he is a cat killer this week end.

Go the Dees!

It was so obvious to anyone who watches Casey games that Fitzpatrick's apparent spudness at AFL level was down to his nerves. I for one am not surprised to see what he's currently doing in the big leagues now that his hands don't shake so violently that he can't mark a footy.

• Like 4

Wow, this kid stepped up fast. Talk about 'breakthrough games'.

Showing everything at AFL level that people were talking about at Casey. Confidence is so much!

With Fitzpatrick's burst of form and Max Gawn rucking, marking, and even linking through the midfield in ways his 208cm have no right to do, things are looking 'up'.

Except for Mark Jamar. But that's ok, cycle of life.

• Like 1

is he a tall defender or forward? Wasn't he recruited as very good talent, good athlete could be forward or back at AFL level types.

I know we are well placed for talls but if he is a defender I'd be interested if we could get him very cheap. He'd be one for us to keep an eye on.

Played both key forward and back at under 18 level. I'm not convinced with him, admittedly only watched him in a couple of games. (Kristian Jaksch)

...back on topic, I remember watching Jack at preseason training when Neeld took over and he was not switched on at all and had a poor work rate. Now in hindsight that could have been due to his ongoing health issues, but I did notice a big turnaround at the start of this year. So the kid is learning, putting in the work and making progress. He's going to have some down games and I hope everyone doesn't jump off the current bandwagon, hasn't got to 10 games yet.

The kicking is working for him but his ball drop is pretty much a drop rather than guide so it's going to be a bit hit and miss while he sorts it out.

Edited by rjay